DNA Tests Could Trap Poachers

Blacktail Slayer

Reaction score
Groundbreaking DNA Tests Could Trap Poachers

We all know how hard it is for law enforcement to identify poachers with the crimes sometimes happening in remote areas, little physical evidence, and little human DNA left behind. The University of Strathclyde have found a method to pick up these low levels of DNA to identify the poachers. This could be a new way for law enforcement to protect our wildlife.

Where's Bruce?

Reaction score
I wonder how they identify the poacher from the honest hunter who may have wandered across the same trail or kill site?

Orygun

Reaction score
http://www.lab.fws.gov/

They have been doing that for years. Mostly for customs and federal casework. They also do work for state agencies as well. I took a tour of the place. They are more advanced than most big cities human forensics lab. LEOs have been able to pull fingerprints off leaves and rocks based on work done here. They have a DNA file for just about every deer herd in the US. You could drop a buck say, where I live in Central Oregon, drive down to CA tag it with a DFG tag and they could still bust you since they could tell its from up here.

If they pulled your DNA from a "crime scene" then find out it was you and went to your house and then matched DNA from deer meat back to where the crime scene, you'd be hosed. Thyey cvatch enough felons with guns up here poaching that they really could find someone like that pretty easily,

in reality, you'd have to do something real bad or really piss off the wardens for them to go that far since that kind of lab work cost a lot of money.

Bullfrog 31581

Reaction score
I had one case where a poacher killed a pie-bald doe out of season on someone else's land and took the skin. The warden found the carcass and took a dna sample. They found the skin in the guy's freezer and matched it to the carcass (his gf turned him in inadvertently). That ended up costing him a year probation, over $1000 in fines, and a month's worth of weekends in jail. The guy was someone they had been trying to catch for a while.

jindydiver

Reaction score
I wonder how they identify the poacher from the honest hunter who may have wandered across the same trail or kill site?
Too right, I would love a link to the story.
DNA can tell you who was there, it cannot tell you (on it's own) what you did there. It is just another piece in the puzzle.

Top Bottom