Do Bucks loose their antlers?

Gilles

Reaction score
Do bucks loose their antlers during the winter and summer time periods, if so, how do they grow such enormous racks in such a little time?

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 Gilles,
 (anyone please step in if im wrong ok)Deer loose thiere antlers every year shortly after the breading time,in the spring/very early summer they start growing thier crowns of glory,they are made up of Calcium/blood,they are soft most of the year and will damage easily,after a time these horns will harden,after they are hard the buck will rub of the velvet that they grew in,i do believe that antlers on Deer,elk ect..ect.....is the fastest growing substance.
 Depending on how well they eat the better thier horns will become in such a short time,but Genetics and age plays a big part in thier antler growth as well.
 I hope i got that most of that right and didnt make a fool of myself ;) but i hope it helps you understand just a tad bit better.

woodseye

Reaction score
Well spoken Passthru. Still amazing how those elk and moose can produce that much bone in such a short time Huh?

woods

Duke

Reaction score
I think I heard at one time that moose at their fastest growing point gain an inch or more a day!

Hogskin

Banned
Reaction score
<font face=arial size=1><blockquote><hr noshade size=1>Quote: from Duke on 9:01 pm on Feb. 1, 2002
I think I heard at one time that moose at their fastest growing point gain an inch or more a day!<hr noshade size=1></blockquote></font>

I wish I could gain an inch or more a day.  

Regards,
Paul

p.s., get your minds outta the gutter, I'm talking height gains.  Perverts!  :shake-head-blue:

Top Bottom