Do Deer  like walnuts?

1BowHunter

Reaction score
I just got access to hunt another 500 acres it is loaded with walnut and hedge. One small pear tree by the old homestead tree line dominated by walnut.
Do Whitetail deer eat walnuts like they do Oak?

(Edited by 1BowHunter at 5:08 pm on Aug. 2, 2002)

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 I dont think they can bite through a walnut shell,but the pair tree is a different story,they will be all over it if there is pairs falling this fall.

Jon Bain

Reaction score
1bowhunter, I’ve thought about your question for a few days now and to tell you the truth I was hoping someone could give you the answer.  I myself will have to consult the magic eight ball on this one.  I do not think walnuts are a main staple in the deer’s diet.  I personally cannot even picture a walnut or the tree at this time.  I can for hickory nuts and black walnuts, but not the walnut.  If it is anything like the other two I just mentioned I would believe the deer would have difficulty in reaching the meat of the nut and would find easier and more accessible food to spend time on.

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
I agree with passthru and jon. I think a walnut shell is to hard for a deer. They might be able to get to the nut but it would take to much energy( I think). This is just my opinion. You might call a local wildlife management agency and ask a professional.

SPUR

Reaction score
I hunt around a bunch of walnuts and have never seen the deer eat them. They do like
to rub the young teder trees though. A biologhist in Mo. told me that the husk have a bitter taste and deer  don't like them. He likes to have walnuts around though. Stated it makes for a real easy squirrel hunt.

Top Bottom