Do scarecrows work?

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
Our plums are getting ripe and the deer are breaking limbs every night. They are also breaking limbs on a couple of small apple trees. We have them on the game camera standing on their hind legs and reaching over my 6' tall fence around the trees. My fence circles are only 8' diameter so some limbs over hang the fencing. I was thinking about hanging some long sleeve work shirts in the trees for a few days to see if it will slow the deer down a little. My wife's flowers are getting hammered and deer repellant products from the local nursery are not very effective.

What do you guys do to minimize the deer damage? Most locals just say you plant a large volume of trees and hope to harvest 50%. Our trees are young so only 20 apples per tree this year.

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
I suggest deer resistant plants......lol
Well I did get my nursery certification while working with HD ( Home Cheepo.....lol) for almost a decade . We use to sell a lot of that deer resistant product but like u said results very. Inanimate objects that don’t move won’t work in scaring off Anything. They will intimidate for a moment but once an animal has figured the don’t Move or make noise they will comeback and do damage. I have seen and heard farmers using some sort of cannon devices In their orchards I believe they are on a timer And go off so often, kind of sounds like a gun shot and that keeps the deer away.
I seen in Cali were wine vineyards And orchards tie shiny silver streamers on the The branches that keeps the bird activity low from crop damage.
My suggestion is tying some wind chimes Or bells of some type To the branches if it’s windy enough that commotion should detour a deer away. And when it’s not windy have those bells or chimes tide to the branches they can reach so when they make contact they will go off and scare them Off I would imagine. Hope this helps or create other ideas....tra

Top Bottom