Do sows charge?

Sgohuntn

Reaction score
I was up hunting pigs 2 weeks ago and was going through some really
thick brush. Suddenly I heard branches and brush cracking about 20 feet ahead of me. I had my 375 mag. wheel gun drawn due to the fact that I couldn't swing a rifle ( I left it a ways back). I got down and looked for a pig fleeing the scene of the crime, but couldn't see any thing. I continued. I came to a fallen tree in the brush and got down at ground level to see what I could see. There about six feet in front of me I saw two baby piglets. Their eyes were still closed and they couldn't
stand. I didn't have my camera or anything else with me due to the thickness of the brush, or I would have posted a picture of the piglets. The mother, which I had heard earlier, had left the bed. As I stood there alone in thick brush, I had visions of an angry sow charging through the brush at me. After about 15 seconds, I retreated. It took me a while to retrace my route back to my pack and rifle. The question is, do sows charge if they feel their piglets are in danger??????

Shot

Reaction score
only time (that I know of) that a sow (or boar) will charge is if you corner it or wound it. It has happened to me more than once. You just have to make sure that you can get away or take it out.

In fact, my grandfather had his tire on is Land Rover punctured by a boar that he shot. He was shooting from his truck and the boar didn't go down and charge right for the Land Rover (don't worry this wasn't in the US, it was in Iran).

HOGHUNTER714

Reaction score
From my experience you "DO NOT" get in the way of a sow and her pigglets. If she feels that her pigglets are in danger at anytime, she will more then likely come after your butt. I know a old timer up in parkfield that has been huntin hogs for over 75 years. It's great sittin down with him and listening to all his pig huntin stories. He used to crawl in the pig tunnels with a six shooter and see what he could push out. He has scars from head to toe from being cut up by hogs. He has always told me. "When you corner a boar, they will more than likely run past you and slash ya. When you corner a sow, They will stick around and eat you". IMO you cant predict what a hog will do. Be careful out there and enjoy the sport.

Norcalihunter

Reaction score
The only close call I've had with a pig was w/ a sow. I saw a nice 70 pound pig thought it'd taste good was by itself (or so I thought). So I shot him. Walked over there and 10 feet from me was his mother and 7 other pigs all about 50-75 pounds. They were behind a barry bush I didnt see them till I was right in their face. The ''mother'' charged me. I gut shot her with my rifle waste high then finished her off at about 2 feet in the head when she was still coming at me. Killed her but it wasnt a pretty site. Turns out she was pregnat with another litter soon to be delievered. Nothing I could of done but still not a great feeling pulling out dead piglets out of her stomach.

I have pictures somewhere it was about 4 years ago I'll try to fish them up. She was about 120-150 best I recal.

larrysogla

Reaction score
Back in Feb. 1999, my co-worker Dan & I were hunting pigs with our guides Frank Morasci & his assistant Keck in Sweetwater, San Benito County, about 15 miles east of King City. We arrived at the ranch at 6:00 AM. We split up, with Frank & I, & Dan went with Keck. We have not gone 15 mins. from the truck when Frank & I heard several shots. Later, when we rejoined with Dan & Keck they told us what happened. They were walking along the top of a 5 ft. deep gully when Keck saw a hog at the bottom of the gully sleeping under a bush. He told Dan to take it with his .308 rifle. It was only about 20 yds. away but Dan merely grazed the hog in the belly. At the shot the hog woke up & immediately in one leap jumped to the top of the gulley & charged Keck who was armed with his 12 gauge pump loaded with slugs. Dan couldn't fire a shot because of Keck's dog running alongside the hog. Keck couldn't right away take a shot because of his dog chasing the hog. Keck was running furiously away from the hog, which was quickly gaining ground. At the last possible moment Keck turned around & nailed the hog on the top of the head nearly point blank. The dead hog was sliding leaving a skid mark in the dirt. The slug passed thru & was recovered in the dirt flat as a pancake. IT WAS A SOW!!! It charged apparently for no other reason than it was nicked in the belly by Dan's bullet. Hogs are unpredictable. Most animals are. Hit hard, Hit fast, Hit often(Adm. William "Bull" Halsey, WWII hero
).
God Bless. larrysogla.

easymoney

Reaction score
My experience is pigs of either sex can and will charge, if you give them reason to. Especially getting between a mother and piglets. Or being down wind of either sex.
If you hunt with a gun, pigs usually flush at the shot and head for the thick nasty stuff. I suggest you shoot one of your choice, then shoot it again to be sure it's down for good.
If you hunt with a bow be prepared for some hard work, as they can do most anything at being stuck with an arrow. They are very tough customers and can run a long way with an arrow in them, even a fatal shot.
Good luck...

BirdDawg

Banned
Reaction score
I agree with Shot....the only time I've seen a hog charge is when they were wounded or shot....I have had hogs act like they were charging me when in fact they were just hightailing it out of the country and run in my direction.....

manfreddy

Reaction score
Sows absolutely will charge. I have seen in first hand. A guy had a .44 in his hand and had the sow cornered (only 2 dogs). The sow suddenly charged him and knocked him on his rear. That pig continued to push at the guy on the ground, until he turned her head into mush with that .44.

Couple months ago I witnessed a sow grab one of her piglets and hold it in her mouth and she ran away.

Bolt_Sniper

Reaction score
Yes, they do charge. Fast and furious. At least that is what happened with me during one special occasion. It was about 3 years ago. I acquired a depredation permit to help remove a major hog problem on a private ranch in the redwoods. We set up a trap. One day I received a call from the ranch owner in the morning that there was something in the trap. I told her to stay away from it because I was headed up. She didn’t heed my advice, because as I headed up I noticed her about 30 yards from a trap full of piglets. I let out a sigh and walked up to the trap. As I got about 20 feet, the woods above sounded like a 300-LB bowling ball was tearing through it. It was a Very large sow charging full speed. I watched with amazement at the ready over my scoped 30-06 as it was heading straight for me. I took a shot at it reached critical distance of about 50 feet. Threw a bullet in its chest taking a chunk out of the heart. Then it took an immediate right turn, ran for another 50 yards and died. The pic below shows the sow that charged me. Be on the alert if you ever trap any piglets!

http://www.ihwy.com/~tdunn/chevysow.GIF

larrysogla

Reaction score
Ranco Loco,
I just noticed, your avatar is riding a sawhorse!!! Good gracious, where o' where do you guys get such wacky avatars. Anyways, YES!!! sows, pigs, boars will charge. My ranch owner friend in Houston went up in a tree early one night to ambush hogs & in came a group of pigs. He was armed with a .22LR Marlin semi-auto & he picked the biggest pig & emptied the 17 rounds somewhere in the general vicinity of the pig's head(using only open sights which are useless at night). The pig got mad & proceeded to snort & headbump the small tree he was on. He said he thought the big pig was trying to shake him out of the tree. After a while it lost interest & walked off into the darkness. The pig was never found.
There was also a news story some years back of a landowner in central coast Calif. inspecting his fence. Out came a hog from the brush without warning, charged & slashed the guy's leg. They are just unpredictable. Most hogs will run away, but once in a while, there will be a lone ranger that will spell trouble, just like any animal. Shoot straight & carry enough gun that will punch deep & make a big hole. Them animals can run for a few seconds even with the heart shot out.
larrysogla.

Sgohuntn

Reaction score
As I sit and think about all the posts, I recall my friend's buddy mending fences. As he was working on one section of a fence in the central coastal hills, a boar came out of the brush running right towards him down the fence line. he jumped to the top wire as the pig passed. He thought maybe the pig's eye sight was so dismal that he didn't see him, but heard him working on the fence. Also the fact he was down wind maybe made the pig unaware of the human presense associated with the noise. Smell, sight, and hearing are what you have to contend with.

Bolt_Sniper

Reaction score
If you go to salinas to the gun shop. trigger hill? (I forgot the name of the place) There is a great picture of a guy getting charged by a boar. The Hog is only about two feet from a guy as he is firing falling backward. Anyone ever see this photo?

Greenleaf

Inactive
Reaction score
I'd be willing to wager that Rosie O'Donnell has a credit card so I'd say yes, sows do charge.

Rancho Loco

Banned
Reaction score
Originally posted by Bolt_Sniper@Aug 13 2004, 09:05 PM
If you go to salinas to the gun shop. trigger hill? (I forgot the name of the place) There is a great picture of a guy getting charged by a boar. The Hog is only about two feet from a guy as he is firing falling backward. Anyone ever see this photo?
Yep, Trigger Hill...That guy looks like he was about to have a bad day.

I know that wouldn't have happened to this dude..

Latest Posts

Top Bottom