Do Wild Pheasants Hold or Run

Qbn Hunter

Reaction score
I had this discussion with a friend the other day. He told me that wild pheasants usually hold tight when they feel that they are in trouble. I think that pheasant's usually run when they feel threaten.Has anyone hunted wild, not chickens in pheasant costumes, pheasants and what do you think.

Soccer Dad

Reaction score
IMO they do both.
They make their escape if they don't feel pinned down.  When you make noise approaching I feel this is the tip for them to run before you get to them.  Once the dog has the bird pinned (can you tell I have a pointing dog) I haven't had them move much.  When they are pinned they try to use the hide technique.  They hope you pass by them.

I notice on noisy approaches the dog gets birdy and has to trail for a while before the bird either finds cover or is pushed into the air (bad dog).

I try to hunt as quietly as possible.  I say nothing to the dog.  I believe more pheasants hold this way.

DKScott

Banned
Reaction score
It seems like at least as many wild birds have flushed behind me after I walked by them, as in front.  The pen raised ones usually flush or take off at a dead run as soon as they are aware of me (except the really bad ones you have to kick into the air)

Scott

GIVEMTHEBLADE

Reaction score
Qbn Hunter,

Growing up out west(Iowa,South Dakota) I have alittle insight on this subject!  It depends on alot of different variables.  1st the what part of the season you are hunting?  Opening day or early part of the season the birds will stay put and If you have pointer you will have alot of fun w/ this!  Middle part of the season the birds will have had some hunting preasure and would rather run than fly, which if you have a well trained dog can be alot of fun.  If in the middle to the end of the season you get a snow storm @ night of 2 or more inches this can lead to the best phesant hunting ever the birds will stay put and your dogs will literaly have to get on top of them before they will flush!  This is my favorite senario!  Late part of the season generally is alot harder hunting!  You will have to deal w/ weather, the birds flushing wild by wild I mean you walk into a field and you can see the birds flushing a 1/4 to a 1/2 mile a way!  Well I hope this helps and happy hunting!

Kernhuntr

Reaction score
GIVEMTHEBLADE,

Glad to have you on board. Thanks for the insight.

Kernhuntr

Qbn Hunter

Reaction score
Givemtheblade,

Welcome the the forum and thanks for the reponse. I haven't had the opportunity to hunt wild pheasants yet. But from what you tell me and from what I have seen on T.V. it is very challenging. I have noticed, on the hunting shows, that wild birds flush wild a lot of the time.

songdog

Reaction score
I've seen a lot of wild birds either flush way out or run more often than not. Depends on the terrain too. I've also had them flush behind me though... It's always a good idea to pack an extra set of skivvies when you're pheasant hunting should that happen.

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
My experience is that the hens hold just until the point you step on them (not seeing them of course). The cocks would flush about 10 yds out and the hens about 1.

5standjake

Reaction score
Hi Qbn, my experience with wild pheasants is they do all the above but primarily they rather run then fly but with the same token they can hold so tight that you can stop for a water break and the pheasant can be within inches from you and would not leave until you were a good 50 yds away and then it would flush from behind you.Pheasants are probabaly the smartest upland bird you can hunt in california oh and bye the way dont be surprised to see pheasants where your hunting for doves el centro.Later 5standjake also known as jake the lucky greek.

foulshot

Reaction score
Originally posted by FullSack@Aug 29 2002, 12:23 PM
My experience is that the hens hold just until the point you step on them (not seeing them of course).  The cocks would flush about 10 yds out and the hens about 1.
When Fullsack was out on his first pheasant hunt we flushed more hens than you could shake a stick at, and they didn't flush until right on them. Then some of the roosters would flush 50 yds away. I think something may have to do with how many times they had already been flushed that day?

BTW, I led FullSack to his first pheasant on his first pheasant hunt!

Top Bottom