Do you believe in deer calls?

VA Hunter

Reaction score
Howdy!
  I have never had any luck with a deer call.  So, I am trying to decide if I should believe in them.  What luck have you had?  What deer call do you use?  Thanks,

Bubba

Arrowhead

Reaction score
Bubba >> I wouldn't go hunting without one. And when I am hunting I usually use it about every 20 - 30 minutes. Just a grunt tube. I like the True Talker,it's made by HS Strut I believe. You can make a variety of calls without by just changing the position of your fingers.

I have turned deer around and seen them run like dogs towards me. I got in my stand once and hadn't been there 10 minutes when I used it and had a bedded buck (I was unaware of) get up and come in for a look.

I am sure it has probably scared deer away that I may have never known about, but it is a great tool.

Deer are very vocal.

D Letho

Reaction score
Bubba,
I had a real nice 6 pointer great spred on him come out of some thick stuff and was quartering away from me. I hit the grunt tube with 2 short breaths and stoped him in his tracks. (last week in Oct.)He didnt look anywhere but had his ears going every which way. I gave another short blast and then a long one about 2 seconds later. He turned right around and trotted right towards me. As luck would have it he stoped in the wrong spot for a bow shot but was about 20yrds from my stand. I guess he noticed no deer was there and bolted.Never to be seen again !!!!!

Another time my Uncle who is my hunting partner got into his stand, loaded his gun, sat it down, hit the grunt tube , and shot his 7 pointer 2 minutes later as it was running right for him.(1st week in Dec.).

I would do alot of reading up on it and ask questions just like you are doing. There is alot to using calls. If you are aloud to use decoys where you live they help alot with calls.If you get a nice buck to start coming in and he dosnt see the buck that made the noise he is gone  , and you just tought that buck a good lesson. He will remember the next time he hears it and be alot more aware than he already is.

Well thats just my 2 cents but I hope I helped out a little.
            Don

(Edited by D Letho at 3:44 pm on July 25, 2002)

Brian S

Reaction score
I just started hunting whitetail and have been very impressed with the success of calls on them so far. Mule deer that I usually hunt seem to ignore the calls more often than not. Or look up and stare only to go back to eating. With the buck I got last year we sat below a trail in afternoon and began rattle with a couple grunts from a lohman grunt tube mixed in. 5 minutes later the buck and 3 does came over the top to have a look. The buck came charging down the trail and we gave him a Nyyaaahh sound like, twice we got him to stop cold. The second time I had a clear shooting lane and that was it. We stopped many more deer with that call on the trip. My cousin just vocalized the sound but I'm sure a commercial low tone doe call would work the same.
Brian

StringShooter

Reaction score
I had a small 8 point come out of a CRP field just before dark and started heading away from me towards a bean field. I used a doe bleat in a can and the buck turned around and headed in my direction looking for the suspected doe.

He got within 15 yards of my stand but it was too dark to shoot. Couldn't see out of my peep. Really didn't want to take him, he was about a 2 year old.

That was last year around November 10th. Even late into the bowseason that same buck bedded in the same field and headed out just before dark.

I decided to wait him out till this season since he was so predictable and I will have my doe bleat in a can with me. Hopefully hes a bit bigger.

TScottW99

Reaction score
i've had some really good luck with deer calls.  I have a Primos Grunt tube and a Knight & Halle grunt along with a Lohman multi-call and have enjoyed all three.

wolverine

Reaction score
I was walking to my stand one fall morning before sunup and figured with all of the rustling noises I was making I might as well give out a grunt or two. As soon as I grunted, something started runnung straight at me and came to within about ten feet of me before deciding it was a bad idea. I could tell it was a deer but it was so dark I couldn't make out anything else. I've also stopped running deer long enough to get a shot in. It is worth a try to use one.

jim in illinois

Reaction score
Bubba,  I got to agree with Arrowhead.  Get a True-Talker!  You can make tons of different calls just by moving your fingers on the reed,  the thing is great.  Mine came with an instructional video.  I never knew a deer made that many sounds until I watched that tape.  I use mine every time I'm in the woods.  I've seen deer come in to it and i've also seen some turn on the afterburners to get away but i guess you'll never know nless you try.  It seems to help more than it hurts for me though.

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 I always take and use a grunt tube,and when the time is right ill use horns for rattleing.
Took a small buck one year from rattleing and called SuperR (bud of mine who visits here)when we made it to the woods there was only a couple hours daylight,so we just run in anywhere we could set up and stayed on the ground,i rattled and grunted non stop for 5 minutes,done this a few times and SuperR was close to laughing,he thought it was funny as heck,then once he lost interest and was not paying attention i heard a deer come off the ridge across from us and cross the creek,by the time he noticed there was a deer there it was to late,It was a real wall hanger standing no more than 20 yrds from SuperR,got wind and left in a hurry.
 he can attest to how well it works to call deer,heck i thought he was going to cry like a baby.:rofl

GutshotJoe

Reaction score
I've tried a few different types of grunt tubes with not alot of success. Last year I tried the True Talker. 5 days of hunting a friend of mine & myself grunted in 3 different bucks. The 8 pointer he called in was nose down & trotting away from him, when the buck was out of sight he did the tending grunt(which he learned from the video) the buck came back & gave him a 20yd shot. That was his first buck with the bow. You can see a pic of the buck at http://www.habidylodge.com go under bow contest winner, another pic of same buck is under 1st accomplishments, on that pic you can also see the true talker around his neck. I liked the call so much I went out & got another in case I lose this one.

SUPER R

Reaction score
   Bubba,  I always carry a grunt tube, fawn distress call, and a set of rattling horns(If the time is right).  The grunt tube is an old Lohmans which I can't do without.  Once I made it to my tree stand well before sunrise and discovered I did not have it in my pack.
I keep telling myself "I don't need it" but in the back of my mind I knew I did.  So after a few hours it got the best of me.  I climbed out of my tree and hiked back to the truck and found it and then hot footed it back to the tree (about 4 miles round trip).  That day I called up 3 different deer.
 I will use the fawn call early in the season to call in does looking for lost or injured fawns.  Sometimes a buck will come in but in the experience I've had, its mostly does.
 Rattling horns!  What can I say?  Yes Passtru saw me almost cry like a baby.  Yes I wasn't paying attention.  Yes it was a monster of a buck.  In late Oct. & early Nov. if you wan't a chance at a good buck try rattling.  You might be surprised.  I was.
 Deer calls.  Don't leave home without them!

SUPER R

ToddP

Banned
Reaction score
Absolutely.  A grunt tube will not work every time but when that switch in a deer's head gets turned on a grunt tube can be very effective.  I called this buck in during PA's archery season with a grunt tube last year.  It was like I was the Pied Piper himself.

Welby

Reaction score
Great picture, ToddP!  Nice buck!  I bet he was "good eatin' ", like we say down here.

Grunt calls work, but not everytime.  I have called deer to me and I have spooked them as well.  Most of the time, deer do ignore them.

Most of the times I spooked deer with grunt calls was when I was hunting in areas where they were used to hearing them.  Also, I have spooked younger bucks by having my adjustable grunt call tuned to the deep, gutteral sound of a bigger and more mature buck.  They don't seem to like that very much.  I wonder why??

In the early fall, if you are meat hunting, a fawn bleat will produce explosive results.  I would say that a majority of the time I have used these calls I have gotten a response.  Usually does come running in on full blast to locate the source of the sound.  Most of the time though, they will circle around and wind you before they give you a good shot.

Rattling has never worked for me, but I think it's because of the area I live in.  I have called deer up by rattling, and I do believe it works, but around here the does far outnumber the bucks and they simply don't have to fight for a date.  They usually pay it no mind.  I have even rattled with deer in plain view, and they barely raised an eyebrow.

Deer calls work, but it's not like turkey calling or water fowl calling.  It has to be just the right time and place for it to work.  But, I never go to the woods without one.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom