Do you feel That Poaching is as bad as it is made to seem ?

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
You read about Poaching, You hear about Poaching and Now somne of us are seeing the Poaching.
CDFW imply that more than one third of Harvested Deer are not reported, 33.3 percent and it seems
to be getting more open and relaxed. once in the dark of night the poachers would roam but now it
seems they are not concerned about being saw.
I once would argue the percentage of unreported Deer harvests, but now? I just don't know.
Do you think that poaching has become something to the level of shop lefting, a meannial thing, No Biggy,
Why worry type of thing ?

ChrisAMX

Reaction score
A friend of mine lives close to Tecuya Trailhead, and he has seen and herd shots of poachers many times. He says he use to see deer near the forest edge, but no longer does due to the jack lighting that took place.

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
due to the jack lighting that took place. ????

Stevehazard

Reaction score
How can somebody hear poaching? Not a bad indicator that it could be but it could easily be other things as well.
I've not seen any poaching. But I imagine that is because it would be most common to occur on private, out of season, at night. If somebody is going to poach they're going to do it the easy way. They're not going to be up in public land where we are hunting.

wedgy

Reaction score
"CDFW imply that more than one third of Harvested Deer are not reported"

I think the deer is killed and tagged but never reported. Many have had bad experiences/harassed by DFG

Smithb9841

Reaction score
"CDFW imply that more than one third of Harvested Deer are not reported"

I think the deer is killed and tagged but never reported. Many have had bad experiences/harassed by DFG

i hear alot of people say they’ve been harassed by DFG in the past and I dnt doubt that some people have but I just think that’s blown out of proportion by a lot of people like I said I’m sure it happens but not to the extent some claim. I’ve never really been harassed by a game warden in fact most have chatted with me talked about how my season has been type deal. Even the ones that were short and seemed grumpy just didn’t make conversation just checked my shit and I was on my way. That’s just my experience.

baco

Reaction score
Lots of poaching on the Angeles forest from deer to big horns you would be surprised how many people are out there without a tag or license and spot lighting

Bubblehide

Banned
Reaction score

... Many have had bad experiences/harassed by DFG

I am sure that most hunters do not understand the difference between typical criminal law and our F&W laws. Unlike our typical criminal laws, where there must first be a reasonable suspicion of a crime or a warrant is necessary to search (i.e., reasonable suspicion), our F&W laws only require that we be, are, have been, or on our way to hunt and/or fish for a warden to search us, our vehicles... there is NO reasonable suspicion of a crime required. In-other-words, if you have a gun or fishing pole with you, and you get stopped by a warden, they can search, no permission required, although most ask first anyway. Simply put, when they search you, your vehicle, your ices chest... they are not hassling you, they are simply doing their job, doing what they get paid for.

In all my years of hunting, I have only ran into one warden that I can say harassed me, on a few different occasions, and this was years back. Every warden since has been professional, with the exception of very minor things in which they simply did not know the specific law, and thought they did, or they were simply trying to shape behavior i.e., get me to do something I was not required to do.

As for the OP's question, yes I think poaching can seriously impact a deer herd in a negative manner. Repeated poaching of the same area(s) can be devastating to that local population, and have a serious negative impact on the herd. I've been hunting for over 40 years, and I have unfortunately seen the impacts in more than a couple locations. So, do I think it is as bad as it is made out to be, well if your talking about how our court systems dole out justice, it is way way way worse, than how the court system sees it, considering the slap on the hands most, even repeat customers get. Social media, well that can be very different.

As for reporting, well that $20 fee for not reporting, even though it has yet to take effect, has already had a significant impact on harvest reporting; just look at how much higher the last harvesting reports were compared to the previous years.

Planetcat

Reaction score
I think its worse than reported. The slap on the wrist penalties for caught poachers dont deter them. I think we should be able to regulate it ourselves. :)

TheGDog

Reaction score
I believe they are poached for the same reason that they don't won't people in LA going after small game with rifles. And completely disallow hunting for Tree Squirrels.

They know the never-ending onslaught of immigrantes would go in there and decimate those populations, pretty darn quickly.

My hunch... just a hunch... is that it would be like the guys I happened onto when I first began hunting. Latinos... regular clothing. HAppened to be lucky enough to take a 2x2 before I showed up. We chatted in Spanish and he showed me pic on his phone. They'd apparently just gotten finished among the 4, or maybe it was 5 of them... splitting it among their 5 regular style backpacks.

I say it's a hunch... because later on when I headed back up that same trail to exit... these JackHoles were throwing ALL their empty Blue Bud Light cans away along the trail. Just dropping them to. Not even like trying to throw them a ways off the trail either.

At the time, I chalked it up to the same cultural ignorance that is responsible for all the "Diaper Alley's" all along Azusa in the places where they seem to habitually congregate and/or explore around in. And just left it at that in my mind.

But now... thinking about this again today... yeah... sure does seem unusual that a group of that size and no one had any clothing that resembled hunting gear. And the brazen disrespect for the forest with the discarding. And not to mention mixing Alcohol and Guns.... WHILE HIKING with them. Seems to start adding up, ya know?

TheGDog

Reaction score
Also... I've learned about some poaching techniques because my older brother did a lot of that just to be able to eat when he moved away from the house when we were kids.

He'd gotten in trouble as a young man and did some time in Juvi... then at 17yo his foot had gotten caught in the chain at the carwash where he was working. It would have been fine.. except this drain where the water would fall into it that was directly beneath the path of the chain... well... it didn't have a grate on it.

Chain keeps going.. his legs falls into it.. chain keeps going. No bueno. Fire & EMT's eventually get him outta there. But his legs is f**ked for life. They do a bunch work in hospital... skin grafts... seweing the legs together criss-cross so blood supply of good leg can help to heal the skin grafts and bone healing of the bad leg. The metal rods sticking out of the bones where they tighten it up every once in awhile to lengthen the distance between the broken halves so they continue to reach toward each other to grow more so he won't result in being so lop-sized one leg from the other. Only... his body didn't like the metal rods and the bone around the rods would liquify and not heal right there.

Gets a lawyer, goes to court. Apparently the adults thought he could have done better with another attorney. But he ain't listening to the advice.

Like any young man... he's irresponsible with the money of the settlement. By then he was living in Utah w/ our father and his new wife who was originally from that area. Due to his lifestyle and so on they have him vacate their home. Well.... apparently during this time he was keeping himself busy by buying lots of guns and *party favors* and apparently got into the *party favor* business to some degree. "Slangin'"... "Workin' For The County"... as they say up in the 'Hood.

While he was in Utah, him having bum leg/foot... he can't shift a moto, so he buys a Honda Hellix Scooter (among other vehicles). They have a large trunk. He explained he'd have a sawed-off in the trunk. Once deep into the roads into the woods, he'd take out the sawed-off. It'd be cross his lap. He'd idle up all super quiet on that Helix scooter, the deer wouldn't spook since it's so quiet. He'd pop one. After processing it'd fit in that Scooters big trunk. He'd bury the sawed-off a lil bit and leave it out there. IF he'd seen the Rangers at all on way in, he'd maybe leave and come back later to pick up the meat and the shottie. It's cold there around that time when the rangers are more present during the hunting season so the meat would keep fine. I think he said where he lived he could see the road coming out of there. When ranger left, he'd go back fetch everything on the Scooter. To anyone watching, just looks like a cripple out enjoying a scooter ride.

Fast forward... some fed had a hair up his butt to want to bust him because he had suspicions he was selling dope but could never prove anything or pin anything on him. So since he went all nutty with his settlement and bought a buncha firearms to enjoy, the feds busted him using a law they have on the books to prevent gun running and illegal arms sales. A single person with greater than X firearms acquired in Y amount of time, these laws would allow them to cite him and either charge him with a big fine, or he could spend some time in Federal Pen. Well here he was with a settlement, young, bum leg, nothin' but time on his hands. So he's like f**k you, I'll do the time. 'Cause it ain't gonna change his position and lot in life very much. And he didn't want to give that other fed the satisfaction of letting him cost him any money.

So he does his time. While in there, apparently our father needed some financial help. He loans him some money, it never gets payed back. Some other things happened, I forget what all, now he's late 20's and back out. But runs thru the remaining money of course far too fast.

Eventually finds himself moved out to Wyoming. Gets all countried out. Money goes dry, so he works as ranch hand and as bouncer (said he had a bum leg, didn't say the rest of him was! And them Hart boys can be scrappers when they need to be. ;) )

He was telling me about freezing his butt off in Wyoming winters with no heat inside (probably 'cause drank away earnings made so couldn't pay a gas bill?) all the blankets he could find and still freezing. Poaching with Bow 'cause starvin' needing something to eat. Etc. Being pissed when blows a stalk or arrow misses 'cause he was so hungry and cold.

Bunch of other little things they do like lighting the deer with a floodlamp at night so their blinded, etc. Conveniently having an accident involving an Elk cow that was with a hurd crossing a road, things like that. As he would say "Hey... n***a's gotta eat!"

Last edited:

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
Damn Gdog, you were all over the spectrum there, so Ilegls and crippled Carwashers are our main poaching problems ? :rotflmao:
I love sniping the Cow Elk with a 350 overdrive, thats why all those good old boys have such huge brush guards on the front
of their trucks. :rotflmao:

Family discussion on poaching in suburbia:
https://youtu.be/ewkroL1cP_Q :smiley-mouse:

Last edited:

mischief209

Reaction score
I used to think it wasn't a big deal until I watched "wild justice". A show on natgeo I believe that follows some California game wardens. The show was non stop poaching. It mostly came down to tweaks that lived in the mountains. That was the only common denominator that I seen. The tweaker culture is big here and I'd bet they contribute to 75% of poaching. Darn near everyone they cited for poaching had meth or prior meth convictions. Give the show a watch, it will open your eyes a bit more. You can find a bunch of episodes on YouTube.

ChrisAMX

Reaction score
I used to think it wasn't a big deal until I watched "wild justice". A show on natgeo I believe that follows some California game wardens. The show was non stop poaching. It mostly came down to tweaks that lived in the mountains. That was the only common denominator that I seen. The tweaker culture is big here and I'd bet they contribute to 75% of poaching. Darn near everyone they cited for poaching had meth or prior meth convictions. Give the show a watch, it will open your eyes a bit more. You can find a bunch of episodes on YouTube.

They staged a sting with "Robodeer" near me in D13. It was instantly successful and suggests to me that there are guys driving around the area, drinking beer and looking for opportunities.

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
"drinking beer and looking for opportunities". NOT WHISKEY, WINE COOLERS OR JELLO SHOOTERS !
what a BEERSHOVANOUS ! I would think you would be ashamed of your self !
Now put that Bud Down and Visit your old Grand Dad, or Jack or even the Captain !!!! Grow some Hair on your chest !!!
:rotflmao:
First its crippled X Cars washers and now Beer drinkers where will it stop WHERE !! :smiley_green_with_e ?????

TheGDog

Reaction score
Shoot, that's nothin'. The oldest brother lived a "colorful" life.

I didn't tell you the story about my bro "laying" with a long-haul truckers wife... when the trucker shows back up at home when he wasn't expected!
(Apparently there was a LOT of opportunity to lay with many of the wives in that area. I guess a lot of 'em had spouses w/ jobs that kept 'em away from home a lot)

The story involves a stolen horse, and a Ruger Mini-14. (Eek!)

Last edited:

Stevehazard

Reaction score
Shoot, that's nothin'. The oldest brother lived a "colorful" life.

I didn't tell you the story about my bro "laying" with a long-haul truckers wife... when the trucker shows back up at home when he wasn't expected!
(Apparently there was a LOT of opportunity to lay with many of the wives in that area. I guess a lot of 'em had spouses w/ jobs that kept 'em away from home a lot)

The story involves a stolen horse, and a Ruger Mini-14. (Eek!)
And some woman have husbands that go on a lot of hunting trips...

TheGDog

Reaction score
Anyhoo... he took 3 hits to the leg (yup, the bad one) during that "Adventure".

Top Bottom