Do you hate the California bashing on the other boards?

Bishop

Banned
Reaction score
Like a lot of you I participate in a few other national hunting and shooting forums.  It just seems hard to get enthused some times when all some Texan or Georgian wants to discuss is how screwed up Kalifornia is.  If this state is so screwed up how come most of the people here come from somewhere else?  Maybe if they went home (not you Jesse) we'd have clean air, better hunting, less traffic, and better fishing! But then it'd be so disireable that they would all come back with their frends and relatives. And we'd be in the same position again.

Scank

Inactive
Reaction score
I wonder how many native Californians actually use this forum? It would be interesting to know who are the carpetbaggers and their place of origin.
I found myself upset being hammered by out-of-staters but in a sense they are correct.
Look, California is always in the fore-front on regulation and restriction. The mountain lion hunting ban, restrictions placed on bear hunting, trapping and now the Moto-Duck fiasco are all examples.
California will be the first to stop hunting. Think twice before buying that lifetime hunting license for yourself or child.

grizz

Reaction score
I've never really noticed much ca. bashing on other sites.  But this is about a f------ up state.  To many people comeing from other states or countrys.  Our state goverments junk.  Schools suck and are overcrowded.  Highways are overcrowed. Were over taxed and reguladed(sp) til soon we'll all be just able to pay our bills and nothing else.  Thats just some of whats f----- up in this state, oh yea hunting license $30 fishing$30 house's springing up in all the good hunting spots, then comes the no trespasing signs.  Maybe those texans and Georgians are right.
   What me move, no way the weather's to nice.  ha-ha  

Duck Fan

Reaction score
Count me as one of the natives...born and raised in CA.  It is tough sometimes to be a
hunter in this "politically correct" state, but as a hunter for over 3 decades, with a son that
has taken on the tradition, I can only hope that we all stick together so that some day my
grand kids can experience what my grandfather, father, myself and my son have been
privileged to experience.  I don't think those that oppose us will win...not as long as
hunters share their tradition with as many as they can (family, friends, neighbors).  Every
person I have shared hunting with has come away from the experience with a new sense
for what we are all about.  I hope others look to help the sport grow.  Numbers will
certainly help our cause.  Ok, now I will step down from my soapbox....

tommyo

Reaction score
Nothing new or unexpected there!  Travel around the country where you get it face to face.  Doesn't bother me much.  Most are just jealous/confused.  I'm 3rd gen. S.F. CA native.  Sure there are nuts here.  But the most extreme ones here come from upper midwest or NE.  My $.02

hronk

Reaction score
I hunt in three other states.  Nev., Idaho,(not for a couple of yrs) and Colorado.  Nevada people are fantastic, including ranchers, miners and Law Enforcement.  Colorado has the anti Californians but most animosity is focased on Texans for the few that buy up the land and then close it down.  Idaho, I'll leave out of this, because I'm prejudiced and I'll probably PO someone.(Like that's stopped me before)  My feelings are that out of state hunters are probably a better grade of hunter than the average local.(I can hear some blood boiling)  Sure a lot has to do with wealth, but there's a lot of us blue collar guys saving all year to look for a quality animal, passing up many that don't reach our expectations and spend 3,5,7 or even more days hunting.  What we spend is awsome.  What I have been known to say, when confronted(only twice),  is "if you people were good enough hunters, you wouldn't need all these outsiders to fill your quotas".  Sometimes I just have to stand up and push back.  Check out of state hunter success compared to in state hunter success in some of these places and you'll see that I'm not that far off.....hronk

Scank

Inactive
Reaction score
Yea, you are right hronk. Are you a native? If you are not a native Californian why did you leave? Why leave a hunting paradise for a place like this? Just wondering..

BigDog

Reaction score
I am not a Ca native. Been here 20+ years though. I dont find it that hard of a place to hunt. Deer especially. And the other game is out there, you just have to be willing to spend the time, money and sweat to get it. Ducks are probably the hardest for me and that is because I am in the pool with so many others for the limited spots. And I am going to change that some this next season. Spread myself out and explore other avenues.

Bishop

Banned
Reaction score
Hope no one got the opinion that I was against people coming here from other states and countries. Just wanted to get the point across that California can't be that bad if a lot of people left other places to come here.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Carpetbagger for 21 years here. Stayed here after discharge from the military to chase a certain woman. We spilt a year later and I knid of took a liking to the hunting and fishing here.

I see some of the California bashing on other forums and I also see a few knocks on the peapickers in the midwest, billy bob's from the south etc.. I guess I have a thick skin and never paid much mind to it. That, or maybe not being a native has something to do with it.

I know a lot of people who knock the hunting here too but if you really get out and see the country you can have some dandy hunts. Pigs, quail, doves, deer, bear, varmints , elk (well, once in a blue moon).

jerry d

Reaction score
I'm not a native but I've called California home since Uncle Sam brought me here about 40 years ago and I kinda liked the place. Hell, I don't even say "FRISCO" any more.

Don't think you could find a more, or better, diversity of outdoor activities any where else.

All you natives don't let the Texans bother you. You do know why all Texans are brown eyed don't you? They're fulla  s**t up to there.

Everyone is jealous of Calif. because this is where all the $$ and technology is found.

Granted, we probably have the majority of the nuts(me included)and lib's but just think what it would be like if you lived in Mass. with all the Kennedys!!!!

Besides, the weather here's great!!!!

doghouse

Reaction score
Hell, I was born in, "The Peoples Republic of California."   But, but, I'm not a flatlander!!!!!!!!!  At least I wasn't untill I moved to the north valley....  but I'm not from the State of Southern California, I'm a northerer.......
I've been called a liar when I said it snowed in good old Cali.....

Speckmisser

Reaction score
I find it interesting, the whole CA bashing thing.  Of course, as a relative transplant maybe my perspective is skewed.  But except for the general jabs and pokes about the "Land of Fruits and Nuts", I don't hear as much negativity.

I do know a lot of folks in other western states have issues with the "Rich Californians" who come out with their big bucks and buy up the land, driving up real estate prices and closing off access.  But in the Southeast, we had the same complaints about the rich "Yankees" coming down and doing the same things to our countryside.  And from talking to my friends in CO and Utah, the biggest complaint these days is the Texans.  

At any rate... Folks can say what they will, but CA is a great state for outdoors sports.  Most people from the rest of the country have no idea what this state offers, and their image of CA is almost always the L.A. surfers or the NorCal Environmentalists.  That's what they see on the nightly news and movies of the week.  

Bishop

Banned
Reaction score
Well what started this post was yesterdays post on http://www.sixgunner.com (a bunch of good ole boys I really do like, most of the time) titled "KMA Kalifornia".  Anyway, some of the good ole boys like to jump on us just about weekly.  Of course they say it's nothing personal and not addressed to the "few" good Californians.  But it doe's tend to grind on you after a while.  You feel like you have to listen to all the comments about liberal, radical, immoral, nutcase, rude, Californians before we can get back to talking about guns and hunting.

hronk

Reaction score
Scank:  Been here all of my life except for the 3 1/2 years in the crotch(those that been there no what I' talkin') in the late 60's.  My Moms family were early settlers in the San Fernando Valley and my wifes family were early settlers in the Owens Valley.  I guess that my Dad was the only foriegner, he moved here in 1920 from Colorado... I've been in the Sierras since  the early 70's and don't make it to the big city's unless someone dies or gets married.  I claim Nevada, but I guess I'm really one of those wierd Californicates......hronk

gordon

Reaction score
Came here in 76, I've seen some of the bashing..Even known some Cal. people to do some of it. Cause they don't want others coming here.. However most has been in fun from what I've seen...

I

im1bighoghunter

I was from Ca. most of my life,i moved to Oregon a few years ago.i still hunt hogs and deer and do alot of fishing in Ca.I have not noticed any bashing,but i think the people are over all more friendly in Oregon.I mean even in the small town i grew up in there are gangs and just some bad people and that is why i moved!!!!We did not want are kids raised in a place like that.I've posted in other spots and i'll post it here,"if more families spent time in the field together huntin or fishing ,the world would be a better place.Like i said i still hunt in Ca.but a lot of their regulations are stupid!!!!!Probably the only reason i still go there to hunt is because i know the area so well!!!

Richard Webb

Reaction score
I'm retired from a major airline, and have been flying free for the past 27 years.  After seeing it all I'm still a Californian, but I do have some fond memories back in Michigan.  And, some not so fond memories of living on a diet of beans & pork belly.  Oh yeah, in the winter when we had the trap line we changed over to muskrat meat, but the beans were still there.

rusman66

Reaction score
California Bashing? Who would do that? You mean just becouse you have to buy a hunting license that is only good for rabbits and squirrels. You have to buy a special tag to hunt quail, deer, pigs,dove,ducks,etc. Oh yeah and dont forget the wilderness pass so I can use the federal land that my tax money goes for already. Oh yeah we gotta beat off the Mt lions to get to the deer, soon we will have a problem with the coyotes (No Trapping)!
I cant get a good pair of kangaroo gloves. And I cant eat my horse.    Hey did I mention fishing, I gotta wear my license like a sign, and I have to have a tag if i want to catch a striper!    
Yeah I was born here and will probably die here cuz I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QALHNTR

Reaction score
Now this forum has a little spark like the old board!!  Born & raised in CA.  Been here 39 years but only started hunting at age 26.  All of my relatives are in the WI and MN area.  ALL hunt.  They do think it's kinda funny how worked up we get over dove.  Other than that, I figure most snide comments are made by jealous folks.  We may not have the best or closest hunting available but, boy does everything else make up for it.  My cousin might get a pheasant two miles from his house in WI but, I feel fortunate to make a three day trip to the Blythe area to hunt, fish, camp and share.  Heck, last weekend I went to the "Lion King" in L.A. on Saturday, shot at the Raahagues Gun Fair on Sunday morning with my daughter and then both of us treked up to Big Bear Lake for a little shore fishing.  Can't do that in many other places.  Optomistically,

Duke

Latest Posts

Top Bottom