do you have to modify the PIR housing?

californiacoyotes

Reaction score
can't you just mount the entire housing inside the enclosure and wire it? it seems what i've read you need to  disassemble the PIR to get it inside the enclosure. and also the things i have read says NOT to use glass or placstic for the hole in the enclosure for the PIR but every cam i seen it has a glass or plexi type window. can i use glass or plexi for the sensor window?

cc

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
There are dozens of good ways to mount the PIR.  In or out of its original enclosure.  You can only use a certain type of plastic material to cover the sensor.  glass or lexan will not allow the IR to pass thru.  The Fresnal lens that comes with the PIR is a spacial material that will allow the IR to pass thru.   It can be purchased thru Fresnal Technologies.   If you mount the entire sensor inside you have to seal it up from the weather.   Tinhorn has a simple method for this, he uses a putty to seal the lens to the housing.   Other wise it can be removed and mounted flat.  The MS20 does not seem to be near as sensitive to the allignment of the lens.

bat

Reaction score
californiacoyotes, check your mail, I sent you one way to mount the pir inside, hope it helps, bat

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
I would recommend one of the shallow receptical boxs and mount the fresnel lens flat on the housing. Just my 2 cents

shufigo

Reaction score
I'm going to find out shortly. I just cut my last Pelican to accept the front of the RS plastic case, and GOOPed the edges. I'll seal the little slashes with goop or hot glue and see how it all holds up. I really like not having to mess with the unit alignment. If I get it wired correctly, that just removes one of the things I had to be worried about.

ToddP

Banned
Reaction score
Here's how I did my latest one.

I drilled holes in the RS PIR housing so could mount it to the metal shelf of the housing.  There's additional holes running out the bottom for the wires.  To get a good distance between the sensor and the lense I mounted so that the front of the sensor was tight against the lid, mounted the sensor, then trim some off the front so it would hit the lid anymore.  Works out pretty good.

Todd

Latest Posts

Top Bottom