do you think some "hunters" make themselves look bad?

sancho

Reaction score
ok, maybe i am extra sensitive living in the bay area. but i am a relatively new bowhunter. i often lurk, and occasionally participate in various bowhunting bbs's. i am trying to accelerate my learning curve. i am surprised at how much negative exposure some people give us. there are plenty of anti hunting orgs just looking for fodder to build up their side of the story. i see so much killing, mostly for the sake of killing. (well, they do stand behind the Vermin shield.) the hot backyard targets are raccoons, possums, and armadillos. i even see cats and dog threads. i like how the ranger at lake sonoma labels us. he refers to hunters as "the stewards...". everytime i ask "why? why kill that animal?", i get the ubiquitous "why dont you join PETA?" response. (second fav response, "what? are you some treehugger?"). i love hunting. it just has to be legal and ethical. the means and method is secondary.

i married a wonderful woman that doesnt completely see hunting the same way i do. i keep up a boyscout attitude. for the most part she is impressed and lets me run around, chasing game with my bow. i cant give my sport a blackeye, even on the homefront. i dont get why people post up random kills on a public bbs.

tmoniz

Banned
Reaction score
I'm a rifle hunter. Been doing it for years. I hunt big game. Gave up on varmints long ago.
I hunt and try to take what I enjoy eating.
What can I say.
But yes. The answer to your question is that some folks make hunters look bad.

Caninelaw

Banned
Reaction score
Anyone who illegally kills game or non-game species or trespasses to hunt is not a hunter but a POACHER - unfortunately the press will label them a hunter every time. It's kind of like labeling a bank robber as a customer making a withdrawal. They (the press) seem to be able to make the distinction in other areas, such as labeling drunk drivers as drunk drivers and not motorists, but they can't (or won't) do it when it comes to poachers. Hence, yes, some "hunters" (in my view poachers) make us all look bad.

Gunslingergirl

Reaction score
I think Caninelaw is right, lots of people, most of the media included, seem to have a problem distinguishing between responsible hunters and those who break the law and behave irresponsibly. I'm a big advocate of a positive image for hunting and hunters. Each hunter has to remember that he or she not only represents himself or herself but the hunting community in that area. That hunter may be the only hunter that some people know, so good behavior is vital.

BackCountryHNTR

Reaction score
I also live in the bay area, and I understand you...I have to be extra careful in my behavior and comments to not be perceived as "killer" but as a hunter and conservationist.
My wife does not completely approves the killing of animals. She's very sentimental and all, but I have gradually change her views trough education and factual arguments; after all, she like to eat meat as well...

I respect and value my prey; however with that been said, I have not problem killing varmint by any legal means.

As for your question, yes some people make hunters look bad, but I believe that that is gradually changing for the better as more hunters realize that hunting is a privilege we need to treasure even though in mi heart, hunting is a God given right.

just my 0.02

Drayton

Reaction score
I agree with Caninelaw about the media. I always hear "news" reports of hunters starting wildfires in the Summer on WMA's that don't allow any hunting durring that time...but they are "hunters" according to the news report!

As for others talking about killing animals...they could just be shooting the BS...trying to sound tough; or they may just be A-holes.

If you read hunting rules you will find rules aginst the wanton killing of any wildlife. These rules are put in for A-holes that do this sort of thing for kicks.

To me, killing is not the best part of hunting. I only like to kill what I want to eat, however I understand the need to kill vermin. Some folks like to hunt foxes and yotes and that's ok. Others like to shoot prairy dogs to help ranchers and farmers.

Down here in Florida, ferrel hogs are a problem to other wildlife and the land they live on. But they taste good so it works out for us hunters.

Advertisement

Top Bottom