Do you want Eurasian Collared Doves open all year in CA like in AZ?

Do you want Eurasian Collared Doves open all year in CA like AZ?

• No, leave the reg alone, too many mourning doves will get popped

Votes: 23 32.9%
  • Yes, ECDs are invasive and we need to thin the herd.

Votes: 42 60.0%
  • What's an Eurasian Collared Dove?

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I don't dove hunt so I'm just eating my popcorn and watching

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't care either way, just pass me another cold root beer

Votes: 3 4.3%

• Total voters

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Do you want Eurasian Collared Doves open all year in CA like they are in AZ?

I'm for all year. Make it so DFG, please.

Stonepointer

Reaction score
Deja Vu again.

I have seen more mourning doves in my area this year than I saw last year.

Maybe they are adapting a little better and finding ways to deal with the larger ECDs pigging up there food sources.

Redside

Reaction score
I vote for all year. And let us use air rifles as well as shotguns, so we can hunt them closer to populated areas. (I see most ECD's in or near towns)

7WSM

Reaction score
To me I don't really care. I hardly see them where I go shoot doves anyways. Sometimes I'll see a pair fly by and that's about it.

COHunter

Reaction score
That was already decided here. Effective Sept 1st, They will be open year-round with no bag limit!
:smiley-mouse:

dblsmk

Reaction score
It would be great to hunt ECD's year round, but, I voted no.
To many 'shooters' can't even tell the difference between a road runner and a pheasant, so why give the "If it flies it dies" bunch a chance to really screw up the Dove season.

Varmint Cong

Reaction score
To many 'shooters' can't even tell the difference between a road runner and a pheasant, so why give the "If it flies it dies" bunch a chance to really screw up the Dove season.
I'm leaning toward agreeing with this view.

Another thought is that we haven't really seen the data on what ECD do to native mourning and whitewing populations. If they coexist and breed like the flying rats they are, then that means more birds flying over hunters during the season.

I know they aren't native but we go after non-natives all the time (ie chukar and pheasant).

Marty

Reaction score
Look at it this way... If the "it flies - it dies" crowd cannot control their shot selections, it will be a greater revenue source for DFG.

Supershockers

Reaction score
I agree

birdmanhunter123

Reaction score
I vote for all year. And let us use air rifles as well as shotguns, so we can hunt them closer to populated areas. (I see most ECD's in or near towns)
I agree with Redside. ALL YEAR LONG ,and be able to use air guns and also sling shots. Most ECDs ive seen are near structures,but have seen a few in the field. Its gonna be a good year.

Ducks2001

Reaction score
All Year!!! Way to go!!! The guys that cant tell the difference, like stated prior will only create more revenue...

WoodGrain

Reaction score
Sounds good to me also! Fact is it is good for scouting for other birds.

WoodGrain

559hog

Reaction score
Great what are the methods of take now?? I have a tree in my front and back yard that house these delicious critters. I can tag them easily with an airsoft rifle lol, the shot wouldnt be farther than 10 feet.

k_rad

Reaction score
Great what are the methods of take now?? I have a tree in my front and back yard that house these delicious critters. I can tag them easily with an airsoft rifle lol, the shot wouldnt be farther than 10 feet.
I'm curious about this also. I know it is "bad form" to shoot a sitting bird and I don't do it normally but with an invasive species I would be more inclined to take some down with my pellet gun. Besides these things are HUGHE!!! they look like a big quail. So is it illegal to take them sitting?

Redside

Reaction score
Here is my take on it: Twiggying or ground-swatting doves with a shotgun is unsportsmanlike and may also be dangerous (even if it is legal).

I don't know if it is legal to take ECD's with an air rifle, but if it is, shooting them out of trees, when safe and legal, is o.k. in my book. If you ever hit one flying with an air rifle, you are one deadly shot in my book.

zekethegreek

Reaction score
At least we will have something to hunt while waiting for the hunting season , good reason to take the dogs out.

ray6466

Reaction score
Hunting Eurasian collared dove AYR, YES or NO

:thumbs up2:Hi All, Will California DFG let sportsmen hunt these ECD year round? Here"s my point of view. I"ve hunting dove (morning typt) in NO. CAL. since my high school days (63) RBUH and I remember seeing 1000"s of morning leave NO. Cal. after the first one or two rain storms in the NO.state. We have a plant here called turkey mullen and it a major sorce of food for the morning dove when their here. It grows in spots from 20 to 30 plants to as large has 1/2 acre size though I have'nt seen a big patch in years. It seems these ECD came on like a texas thunder storm and the morning dove are none the better for it. I"ve read the history and habits of both birds and its not looking good for the morning dove with habitat shrinking and competition for nesting areas. The DFG has always split the seasons for dove hunting or it seems that way. So what would be the pro's and con's in opening the season on ECD in California. Well number one might be to consider that morning dove are a migratory birds and are protected by Title 50 CFR sec. 10.13 and the list includes most birds found in the U.S. and what are not usually are by state laws. The few exceptions include the ECD. Since not protected by fed. law DFG has included it has a upland game birds and included it in the dove season. But they made the ECD a many has you can shoot limit during the dove seasons. So take has many ECD has you can during the regular season is leaving the hunter the to make the proper I.D. of morning dove or ECD before taking the shot, remember 10 only of others. If the DFG is trusting us to make the proper I.D. during the season is it willing to let the season on ECD run year round? Alot of states are trusting hunters to make that I.D. So that would seem to go in the pro columm on a year round season on ECD. If other states have researched the problem of the ECD seems like it's already a cut and dry for California to follow suit,eh Anyway, some thoughts on dove seasons. ray6466

Top Bottom