Dodge leveling kit

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
I just spent the better half of my evening removing my Tuff Country 2" Leveling kit off my 2003 Dodge 2500 4x4. I had it in for almost 1.5 years and had the infamous "death wobble" 3 months ago and then 3 more times in the last week. Rather than get new shocks, new steering stabilizers, countless alignments to get the caster just right, and the totally uncomfortable feeling that accompanies the "what if it happens again on the next bumpy road" - I decided to simply remove them. I didn't install them for performance reasons, it was strictly aesthetics.

The way I look at it is cars these days are engineered and designed with specific mechanical tolerances, and any alterations that I make will instantly change them. From now on, I'm going to be a stocker.

I'm having an alignment done in the morning. The only thing after that are my tires, once my existing rubber (315's) is worn out, I will go back to the stock 265's

shadow

Reaction score
As with any mods there are sacrafice's but you can compensate for the mods to minimize the sacrafice's.

Tires over the size of 305's are recommended to go to dual shocks and a stiffer stabilizer/dampener if one is equiped if not add one. Allignments are needed for any front end changes. Other parts wear out and yes they will, ball joints and cv joints will wear out a bit premature but that is one of the sacrafices of messing with the front suspension. 305's and below are good with single shocks. Bigger tires also hurt performance and gas millage if you didn't have the front and rear differential gearing changed to match the new tire size, speedo will suffer unless you either mechanically or digitally compensated for the tire size as well. If you do everything the right way the first time you really don't notice much in the way of the sacrafice's.

The death wobble could also be a simple fix such as a new stabilizer or ball joint, pulling the larger tires off and pulling the kit off may seem to fix the problem for now but you will see it again in the very near future since you didn't fix the problem to begin with, you only compensated by pulling the larger tires and lift off, the parts are worn and the only way to fix it is to replace the worn parts.

Mntngoat

Reaction score
Shadow the famous death wobble is only aggrvated by the 315's. It entirely due to the wrong caster angle, that can be changed to compensate for the new geometry. Theres a long write- up on it on TDR.

Michael

MNTNMAN

Reaction score
Luke's Link will fix the wobble, and way cheaper than a new track bar. I put a set on and it was just like a new truck again, minus the rattles in the dash.

I think they were right around $60. Just search for Luke's Link and you will find them. I know many other Dodge owners that have used these with great results also.

Top Bottom