Doe Hunts!! Stand up NOW!!!!!!!!

feelinducky

Reaction score
Now is the time to stand up for Doe hunts in California. Placer County is considering a junior hunt and the anti's are already out on the street. I was driving and saw 2 of the antis with signs "SAY NO TO DOE HUNTS".

Last edited:

elkguys

Reaction score
this is what are kids need!! not xbox but the outdoors.

bpnclark

Banned
Reaction score
They need to open up doe hunts to everyone, not just the Jrs. I think we are the only state that doesn't sell doe tags.

dlovato

Reaction score
I agree there need to be statewide doe hunts possible (not nixed from counties) - where the deer herd supports it (for anyone) - based on DFG recommendations where it's beneficial - doe hunts needed to help the overall/long term health of the herds.

But think baby-steps as far as who can hunt does - Kids & disabled hunters first (least likely for a backlash), archery 2nd, muzzleloader, then the general (rifle) hunting populations.

MANY years ago, there was a "HUGE backlash" from a doe hunt that DFG and county boards of supervisors still remember and are "afraid" of repeating - IMHO.

Best thing we can hope for is DFG taking back "control/management" of the resource vs counties/non hunting public (which has no clue) being able to VETO DFG's, scientifically based, recommendations.

Doe hunts are good (for overall game management/long term strength of the herd, etc) - Doe hunts just need to be "re-introduced" to CA in a staged, slow manner (already started) - in California (with lots of anti's), you cant just open it up to adult/able body rifle hunters overnight...

I also think that PRIVATE land-owners - should be able to get a number of doe tags (even if they are limited to distribution to only Jr's) based on the # acres owned. Private landowners know the buck/doe ratio/carrying capacity/etc on their property much better than county boards of supervisors or DFG biologists - they should be able to request these tags - sort of like the PLM program, but without going through the hassle of being a PLM property. Having Jr's cull excess does/deer is a lot better, in the long term than depravation permits that landowners can get once things get "out of control".

Further,

Anyone getting a doe tag during this re-introduction process needs to be aware of the backlash anti's and non-hunters can have by driving home with a doe strapped to the top of your truck (even a buck for that matter). Remember 95%+ of California residents are NON HUNTERS - half don't care either way - but the few percent that is against hunting, will do everything they can to turn a single bad hunter decision into a mission to eliminate hunting all together.

As hunters, just be respective/realize the fact that most CA residents don't hunt, and don't want to see a dead animal "thrown in their face" while driving on a highway, etc... The worst thing I personally ever saw was a "dune buggy" pulled behind a truck on the way home from a hunt with two deer "staged" as if they where driving/passenger (one with it's front feet tied to the steering wheel) they where sitting in the seats, with one "driving" in the towed vehicle.

This type of "display" doesn't help us. Imagine how bad that would look to a "voting, but non hunting" citizen who drove past that - especially if the "passenger deer" in the dune-buggy was a doe, and the "driver" was a buck" - both where nice bucks in the case I personally saw, but I'm trying to illustrate how some of us do stupid stuff "showing off" that hurt every hunter...

- Darryl

Last edited:

goindeep

Banned
Reaction score
How about either-sex archery tags for a baby step. Personally I wouldn't take a doe but there are plenty of archers out there that would love the chance. The dfg should also consider some late season archery hunts below the 2500' ft level, to help knock down growing local non-migratory herds that live close to homes

bpnclark

Banned
Reaction score
I would shoot a doe every year if I had a chance. I wish my second deer tag would be a doe tag. That way I would always have meat in the frezzer.

And why can't we shoot them? Maybe we should sue the State for discrimination.

dlovato

Reaction score
I would shoot a doe every year if I had a chance. I wish my second deer tag would be a doe tag. That way I would always have meat in the frezzer.

And why can't we shoot them? Maybe we should sue the State for discrimination.
:)

- Darryl

559hog

Reaction score
+1 for doe hunts, that way I can actually have a chance at a muley lol.

Top Bottom