Does anybody have any info on the future of the 10/22 magnum?

22_boomer

Reaction score
I seemed to have gotten the Ruger semi-auto bug late in life and I wanted a good field rifle for larger varmints so I started looking for a 10/22 magnum. After finding none available I found out that Ruger had stopped making them -- just my luck! There had been hints that maybe Ruger might be redesigning their 10/22 magnum. I would hate to pay any scalpers price on a used 10/22 magnum so I'm hoping that the redesign story is true. Does anybody here know what the real story might be?

Thanks in advance,
boomer

Edit to add; I guess if the redesign story is just a story I may go for a Remington semi in 22 magnum but I don't know how good they are.

mustystubs

Reaction score
Boomer:

I don't have any specific information about the Ruger .22 Mag but I would have to ask why you aren't getting a .17 HMR instead?

The .17 HMR has taken the gun buying public by storm. I've never seen a cartridge gain such widespread acceptance in such a short period of time. I think that speaks to the previously unmet demand for a better, more consistent shooting rimfire, than the .22 Mag. Mags that shoot well are hard to find.

If you already had a Mag, fine, but I wouldn't buy one over a .17 HMR.

My hope was that at some point .17 HMR ammo would come down in price, instead it keeps creeping up, suggesting the manufacturers can't keep up with the demand. Mean while, .22 Mag ammo is selling at all-time low prices, suggesting that sellers can't seem to give it away.

AMMOe

Reaction score
Oh... I dunno about that! I have seven 22 WMR's and they will shoot with my three HMR's. They certainly hit harder.
~AMMOe

22_boomer

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AMMOe @ Aug 22 2006, 06:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Oh... I dunno about that! I have seven 22 WMR's and they will shoot with my three HMR's. They certainly hit harder.
~AMMOe[/b]
I'm with AMMOe -- I like the 22 magnum although I do have a bolt rifle in 17 HMR. I would like to get another 10/22 magnum to convert to the 17 HMR but around my area there are none to be found. All the used 10/22 magnums I've seen for sale almost require a bank loan. I had read some stories that Ruger was worried about their original 10/22 magnum design holding up with all the 17 HMR conversions being done on it and where in the process of doing a redesign. I was hoping somebody here might have some real facts.

AMMOe

Reaction score
"Mean while, .22 Mag ammo is selling at all-time low prices, suggesting that sellers can't seem to give it away."

I was reminded of this statement today when I was buying 22WMR ammo. In what world does the 22WMR sell for less than the 17HMR? Even at Wal Mart the lowly CCI "TMJ" costs nearly what 17HMR does. The more exotic varieties; Winchester Supremes, CCI "TNT", Federal "TNT, Remington 33 grain V-Max, CCI "Game Points" etc., cost far more than the 17HMR does on an average. The Remington sells for $11+ /50 here. There is PMC (Phillipines) and Winchester Dynapoint (ugh!) and S&B (double ugh!) but they are not premium munitions. Even the Federal "Classic" 30 grain HP sells for 20 cents more per box than Hornady 17HMR. ...And don't fool yourself: Good 22WMR ammo is selling quite well despite the 17HMR's popularity.~AMMOe

22_boomer

Reaction score
AMMOe,
Do you have any contacts that might have some information concerning the Ruger 10/22 magnum rifle and maybe a newer version? I also got wind of a story that Ruger may be dropping the 10/96 lever action rifle.

upper

Reaction score
Man I didn"t want a 22 Mag. til I read this thread,I'm on the lookout now Upper

AMMOe

Reaction score
Upper: Magnum shooters are a funny bunch. I have three 17HMRs but I have seven 22 magnums! I like them a bit more, I guess! You'll like the 22WMR. Keep us informed. (CZ 452 if you can swing it!)

Boomer: It wouldn't surprise me to learn that Ruger is dropping the 96. It isn't their most popular model! I will look into the 10/22M thing. I have about given up on getting one in stock condition to salt away. (At least at a price I can afford) I actually prefer the CZ/Brno 611 Autoloader in 22WMR. They drive tacks, take down, and are really the Ferrari of 22WMr autoloaders. They are pretty reasonably priced, too boot.~AMMOe

larrysogla

Reaction score
I have an Erma ESG .22 WMR, gas operated semi-auto rifle. It is a look alike of the M-1 carbine of WWII fame. It has a real working tappet piston under the barrel and an operating rod just like the M-1 carbine. The flat piston locks up at the rear by tilting up and down at the rear just like the military BAR of WWI fame. It failed to eject when I first got the rifle and I sent it back to the importer in Hialeah, Florida. It functioned flawlessly after they fixed it. With my stashed away 20 year old Federal 50 grain copper dipped .22WMR, it would keep the shots inside a Dollar coin all day long at the bench(Federal first came out with their .22WMR with the 50 grain copper dipped load). The bullet groups went haywire after I epoxy bedded the barrel inside the barrel band and epoxy bedded the action at the stock. I removed the epoxy but the rifle will not return to the under a Dollar coin groups. If it ain't broke don't fix it, a simple rule that I should have followed. Under 100 yds., the Erma ESG will sledgehammer jackrabbits that get in the way. I haven't shot a coyote yet with the Erma ESG, but under 100 yds. I believe it will give the coyotes a run for their money with the 20 year old Federal 50 grain loads. I bought the Erma ESG for $275 way back in 1981(I think) at the National Gun Sales. National Gun Sales went out of business many years ago and also Erma went out of business a few years ago. Too bad the passing of so many gun related businesses. The Erma ESG will handle flawlessly the Winchester and CCI .22WMR 40 grain loads.
I love my Ermas(I have two Erma EM22(.22LR) and one Erma ESG .22WMR). I bought the Erma EM22's for $99 at Turners back in 1986. The Erma EM22 is also a look alike of the M-1 carbine. The Erma EM22(.22LR)developed an unreliable ejection(it went downhill from about 100% to about 85% ejection reliability) after I dry fired with empty shell casings. I inspected the very reliable(100% ejection reliability) Erma ESG .22WMR ejector design and I noticed that the Erma ESG .22WMR ejector has a little notch at the tip of the ejector and so I fabricated my own ejector with the little notch at the tip of the ejector and installed this home made upgraded ejector to both of my EM22(.22LR) rifles and the ejection has improved to about 99% reliability. If you have an Erma EM22(.22LR) do not dry fire with an empty shell casing inserted in the chamber and then try to extract it by cycling the bolt. The rimfire firing pin will jam the empty shell casing in the chamber enough so that when you try to cycle the bolt to extract the empty case, the jammed case will have enough drag to ruin the knife edge tip of the extractor and once that knife edge is lost, the ejection will be unreliable and then you have to add that little notch to the ejector tip to make it reliably eject(ala Erma ESG.22WMR ejector with the notch). When dry firing the Erma EM22(.22LR) with an empty shell casing, extract the dry fired empty case by pushing it out with a cleaning rod. DO NOT risk losing the knife edge on the extractor tip. Or better yet, e-mail me and I will send you a drawing of the ejector with the notch at the ejector tip. 'Nuff said.

RandyWakeman

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (22_boomer @ Sep 22 2006, 05:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Do you have any contacts that might have some information concerning the Ruger 10/22 magnum rifle and maybe a newer version? I also got wind of a story that Ruger may be dropping the 10/96 lever action rifle.[/b]
What did Ruger tell you?

therev_46

Reaction score
i don't have a ruger but i do have a marlin 22 mag, and it is one of my favorite guns i own. i've had it for about 10 years now, done some customization to it, and won alot of money with it. once a year some folks put on a big woodchuck hunt, with the heaviest and the combined heaviest of 5 chucks splitting the pot. we hunt all day and have weigh-ins that night. it's always funny to hear people talking about my little 22 mag. these are the people who are standing there with $1000 22 swifts, 22-250's and 17's. well they usually shut up when i pop the hard top on my pickup bed. i have only had one person shoot more than me, and that was my best friend, who was also using a marlin 22 mag. kinda funny how the guy with the most expensive gun, don't always have the best one. i wouldn't trade my mag for 100 17's. here's a couple pics of it if i can figure out how to post them. still waiting on my spray webbing to finish it off.

Attachments

Top Bottom