Does anybody know...

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
if you can return maps to the USGS in Denver. Last time I ordered topo maps I ordered some BLM Surface Management maps and one map is dated 1978 and the other is dated 1982.  Many public lands have changed jurisdictions in the last twenty years making these maps somewhat useless. The newer surface management maps are based on the 1:100000 USGS topos and showwho has jurisdiction over the public lands. They are pretty good for determining access and preliminary scouting. Another that perturb me somewhat is that the USGS charges $8 for the map whereas the BLM only charges $4.
Stephan

BigDog

Reaction score
I kind of doubt they have a return policy. The government giving some of our money back???

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
KArstic,

I've never asked USGS about their return policy and it doesn't say anything on their webapge either. Try contacting them at

USGS Information Services
Box 25286
Denver CO 80225
1-888-ASK-USGS or 303-202-4700
Fax: 303-202-4693

Receive information from the EARTHFAX fax-on-demand system, which is available 24 hours a day at 703-648-4888.

http://www.usgs.gov/

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
To follow up to my original post:

I called the USGS yesterday and they seemed to be willing to work with me on a return if the maps had an updated version. The USGS reply for sending out the old dated maps is that the USGS is just distributing the maps provided to them by the BLM.

So I called the BLM this morning to find out if there were newer editions to the maps that I had received. Unfortunately the maps that I received were the current editions.

It seems that with the amount of legistation and changes in land status of many of our public lands that the Surface Management Maps would be updated on a more regular basis or at least when there is a major change in land status.

Oh well I guess that's our efficient government at work for ya.

Oh yeah, one more thing the BLM maps purchased through the USGS were $8/piece, through the BLM they are $4/piece. Kinda makes you wonder.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom