Does anyone hunt ducks with a fixed full choke? What ammo do you use?

bsanders8181

Reaction score
04-10-12 001.jpg

I got this 20 ga for my boy to use this spring. Its an older High Standard we got used and he can hit the clays with it with regularity. As he shoots this better than the 12 ga I would prefer he uses this when I take him duck hunting this fall. My only concern is that it has a fixed full choke. I do not want to get it reemed to a more open choke, so I would like to know if there are any good options out there that will not brake the bank. We have shot steel as large as #6 out of it, but I do not want to risk going any bigger and bulging the barrel. I have shot the heavi metal from other guns and it is a good product, but you start looking at hevi shot or the like and $2.5-3.5/shell add up fast. If that is what is out there let me know, but if anyone has found a good round you can shoot through a fixed full choke, please let me know. Thanks

Pumpa

Reaction score
I would think if anything the hevi metal would be safer? not to sure, When i first started hunting I used a full choke in my win 1300, and was shooting BBs, it wasn't until later i realized that i should not being doing so but never bulged the barrel or did any harm that i can see or notice. IF you let him shoot 4s or 3s i think it would be okay until you can get him another 20 with interchangeable chokes

Caninelaw

Banned
Reaction score
Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is that Bismith is softer, along the lines of lead, and is safe to shoot out of a full choke. Also, I seem to recall some manufacturer has loads they call "classic doubles" (or something like that) that's supposed to ben safe to shoot out of older double barrel guns which would also be safe out of a full choke gun.

Pumpa

Reaction score
Classic doubles is made by hevi. So i think that hevi shot would be ok. A little pricey tho.

bsanders8181

Reaction score
Yeah, thanks guys. I may just need to shell out the cash for the ammo for the boy.

Pumpa

Reaction score
Could be a good way to get chores done and grades up lol

freezer

Reaction score
I have a vintage double barrel adn I shoot Bismith for phesant when I hunt the refuge. Bismith cost about $20 for ten rounds so I don't consider it for ducks though I have thought about it a few times. it would be a blast. How bigh is your boy? The LOP may be the reason he shoots one shotgun better than the other. An inexpensive stock that has been cut to fit would cost less than a couple hunts with Bismith. He's shooting a pump and a Mossberg 500 can be had for cheap. They sell youth stocks and can be fit to him. They also have different barrel ie slug, and screw in chokes.

bsanders8181

Reaction score
Yeah the bismuth sounds cheaper than hevi shot. I do have a Mossberg 500, and I've thought about getting an adjustable stock for it. He's about 5'3" so yeah the stocks on the two 12 gauges are a bit long for him. I've seen stocks for the 500 for 80-100 dollars, and I could spend that in two weekends buying expensive rounds for him. I was just hoping to find relatively inexpensive rounds so he could stay with the gun he shoots well. It's a good thought and I may have to go that route.

7mallards

Banned
Reaction score
Shooting a fixed full choke is probably limiting ones success... Nevermind the ammo used it definately makes for a much harder shot in the field. The idea behind th eother chokes is to allow for more pellets and a larger patter thus providing the hunter with more opportunities to knock down birds...

Shooting bismuth or hevi shot is going to be expensive either way and rest assured that more shells will be shot to kill limits because of the very small pattern density being provided with a full choke..

bsanders8181

Reaction score
ATI stock for 500.jpg

You guys are right. Broke down and got the adjustable stock from ATI. Cabelas had it on clearance for around $50. I just hope it will get short enough. It said down to 12 3/8". There was another "youth" stock that sait it has a 13" LOP. He'll shoot the Mossberg, and we can shoot the same "cheap" ammo. I just put a case of Winchester #2 1550 fps in 2 3/4" on backorder for around $100. That's like 40 rounds of the good stuff. (If you're wondering why 2 3/4" it's bacause I'm going to shoot my 1100 this year and it will only take those). I also have about 75-100 rounds of 3" from last year he can use. Thanks for all the replies.

bsanders8181

Reaction score
ATI stock was 50 when I put in order, saw the next day for 40. Sent an e-mail to customer service, they responded the same day that they will send a gift card to make up the difference. I love good customer service.

Pumpa

Reaction score
Buying myself a new stocks sounds tempting for my neohew lol

bsanders8181

Reaction score
Got home at 7, 30min later it's on
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347419742.599118.jpg
The boy likes it. We'll see if the but pad is too stiff. Much stiffer than the nice squishy stock pad. This will pay for itself after one box (25 rounds $11) versus the 20ga (10 rounds $25)

bsanders8181

Reaction score
By the way, this came with a foregrip as well, but I didn't like it as much as the factory one.

Top Bottom