Does anyone in this scenario win? Pharmacist gets life for shooting armed robber

db 183

Reaction score
My first reaction is always...if you pull an armed robbery, there is a chance you yourself could get shot....so maybe you shouldn't rob people with a gun!!!

But after watching the video, it is all really tragic for everyone. I just don't think they should throw the book at the pharmacist and I definitely don't think you can characterize his actions as "cold blooded". That guy did not ask to have some hoodlums rob him at gun point and I am sure he is not used to dealing with that sort of life or death situation or the massive, uncontroleld rush of adrenaline and tunnel vision that comes with it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110527/us_yblog_thelookout/jurors-reject-pharmacists-self-defense-plea-convict-him-of-murder

slanttop357

Reaction score
If i owned a store i would use a Double Barrel 12GA with 00 Buck cut them right in half.

Caninelaw

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, the dirtbag deserved to die but the mistake this guy made was to come back and shoot him after he was down. But, again, 1st degree murder? I always thought 1st degree murder required premeditation. This sounds like a 2nd degree murder case at worst.

Too bad I wasn't on the jury though...if you know what I mean.

TonyS

Reaction score
5 shots in the chest after having shot him in the head? There's a reason why there are rules.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
If you're going to use deadly force it's best to know them rules before hand. Then agin, iffen I'm on the jury I'd have a hard time convicting the shooter who's just been robbed and fearin for his life. You rob someone with a gun you need killin. World would be a better place if more robbers were shot dead on the spot. No lame azz trials where we here their mom tell us what a good kid he was and then 1 year later he's back on the street like the 3 time felon who beat that Giant's fan.

Common Sense

Reaction score
What the pharmacist did when he returned to the shop was wrong. It is easy to say that while I sit here all safe and comfy; but after all the excitment and fear it is hard for me to find fault with his actions.

TonyS

Reaction score
The pharmacist should have said the guy was already dead and he shot the dead body for spite. No law against shooting a dead man.

tony270

Reaction score
Here's the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSBBlEhmWNQ

The head shot knocked the kid/robber down and the second robber ran out of the store, the Pharmacist ran after the second robber and emptied his pistol on him. Then he came back in the store and almost walked over the kid/robber on the floor went out of his way to get another pistol and come back to the unarmed and unconscious kid/robber on the floor and shoot him 5 more time in the abdomen. That was about 45 seconds latter. He f'ed up and got caught on video that's why it's cold blooded murder. Life is a bit much; the Pharmacist might not have another 30 years left. He should have emptied his first pistol on the guy down and then grabbed his second pistol and went after the other guy. The otehr guy should have got his.

Last edited:

tony270

Reaction score

The dirt bag kid/robber that got away was caught and convicted of murder.
The Pharmacist got convicted of murder.
The dirt bag kid/robber got death.
And the two adults that orchestrated the capper got cought too.

jackrabbit

Reaction score
Yeah, I feel sorry for the pharmacist getting life, but he broke the law knowing full well that he was on video! I do understand how he may have been feeling though, and maybe he should have gotten a shorter sentence; but then again, I have no idea what he said to the authorities about his state of mind, conditions at the time, etc.

I had a similar situation when I was about 24 years old and working the graveyard shifit at a convenience store (we had no video cameras). About 3:00 AM a small woman comes in with a stocking over her head to rob me. She has a large blue steel revolver with in her hand with the hammer cocked. I was back against some shelves where I was replenishing some food items. She came right up to me, shoved the barrel of the cocked revolver into my stomach and said, "Give me the money." I slid along the shelves, with my backside knocking down all kinds of cans along the way to the register. I put all the cash in a paper bag and handed it over to her while the gun was shaking in her nervous hands, and her voice was shaky as well. Then she turned and ran out the door straight away from me.

My adrenaline was so high, and my anger so great, that I picked up the tiny little short barrel revolver which the boss kept under the counter -- loaded with .22 shorts no less. I aimed at her back and the only thing that kept me from pulling the trigger was the thought that immediately came into my mind that I probably did not have enough gun. I quickly thought, "What if I can't knock her down and she comes back at me with her man-stopping revolver and kills me?, What if she has an accomplice out there in the blackness of dark with a rifle trained on me, or just enough gun to come in and take me out even if she did go down?" So I did not shoot.

If I had enough gun, it is quite likely I might have taken the shot, even though she was already out the door. I only say "quite likely" since I do not really know if I would really have taken the shot if I had more gun. What would enter into my split seconds analyses if that wer the case?

I had already given my boss two weeks notice that I was leaving the job to go to an out of town university for graduate school. So for the next two weeks I had some awesome stopping power stashed at hand in case I had another problem -- the boss was fine with that. It was his personal puny .22 short revolver under the counter to begin with?

If had taken a lethal shot, I now figure I may have had to try and get a plea deal for manslaughter at best, if we had video cameras recording the scenario. I don't know if the pharmacist in this case had an opportunity for a plea deal with the prosecution -- if he did, he should have taken it, video can be very powerful on viewers emotions and judgment.

Top Bottom