Does human urine spook deer?

miked

Reaction score
I have seen deer that have shyed away from the scent. I personally always carry a urinal and take it back out with me to my vehicle and pour it out.

I have heard of some people that will urinate in a scrape. Has anyone tried that and was successful?

StringShooter

Reaction score
Once the amonia evaporates from the urine, it's my opinion that the deer are not spooked at all. And yes, I have made my own scrapes and wizzed in it...it worked!

h2obobh2o

Reaction score
I have read some articles about this subject, and one guy said he goes on a vegetarian diet two months before the season. Once the season rolls around, he makes mock scrape's by urinating in them, and freshens other scrapes that he finds with his own urine, he claims that because he isn't eating meat in his diet, the deer cannont distinguish between human/ other deer. Personally, I can't become a vegetarian, so I don't Pee anywhere in my hunting area, unless it's in a bottle, or by the vehicle where I park.

You know what they say....Veg-e-tarian---Old indian word meaning "Bad Hunter"

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Take this for what it's worth, but the "science" guys have found that deer can't distinguish predator urine from their own.  

Personally, while this information gives me a little reassurance in those cases when the bottles are full and I can't wait... I'm gonna avoid taking a leak around my stand.  I've seen deer avoid it, and I've seen deer walk right through it.  I've also seen a blacktail doe sniffing at fresh human feces... so go figure!  :confused-yellow:

bradj

Reaction score
I make mock scrapes and freshen existing scrapes with my urine and my trail cam tells me that this is working very well.

Jon Bain

Reaction score
Scientific studies such as Speckmisser mentioned and personal observation like Bardj pointed out have proven to me that deer do not pay it much mind.  When a buck urinates in a scrape the urine passes over the tarsal glands that are rubbed together so there is more of a scent from these rather than just urine.

Another point about urine from a doe, the guys at UGA have done a study and found that for the urine from a hot doe to be an attractant to the buck it must pass through the vagina of the deer.  Keep this in mind if you decide to collect the urine from  a full bladder of a doe you harvested.

rutnduck

Reaction score
I play it safe, as scent free as possible.  I want the deer to act like they normally do, nothing out of the ordinary for them if possible.

Don Tibbetts

Reaction score
I've only got a little bit of experience here.  One morning after hiking in to my stand, I realized I had not relieved my bladder at the truck.  The setup was right by a small water crossing so I decided to try to go in the water.  Well, it was pitch black and I missed the water.  I found the one dry spot there.  Later that morning, I had a button buck come by and walk right over where I had peed.  He stopped and sniffed and then continued on his way like nothing ever happened.  From that I surmised that human urine is not alarming to young, inexperienced deer.  Maybe an older, warier buck would take exception to such a fresh scent.

Speckmisser, how was it that you saw a deer smelling human feces?  I've never been in that circumstance:smile-wink:

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Don, it's a long story... but the short version is...

It was on my first CA deer hunt.  The guy I was with had to go when we parked the truck, so he took care of business... we hiked about half an hour and saw a buck down in a canyon.  He shot it, and I went back to get the truck and meet him at the bottom.  As I came up to the truck, there they were... a doe sniffing at the bushes and a little buck a few yards away.  Not alarmed at all until I walked up.

Speaking of those deer being near the trucks, how many of you guys have seen deer or fresh tracks right by the trucks after a day of hunting.  What does THAT say about the value of cover scents and such?  :sunglasses-yellow:

Don Tibbetts

Reaction score
Good story.  I don't often see them at or around the truck but I do often find track inside my bootprints that I left on the way out to hunt that day.:grr-sign:

bubba

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Good Question Speckmisser.  I've never really put too much into scent covering in th epast.  I was thinking about investing in Scentlock material and such.  But now I wonder if it is worth the expense?

jayber

Reaction score
As far as deer tracks inside bootprints, I think I has a lot to do with the 'age' of the 'foreign' scent, especially if deer are some-what used to humans in an area.  I doubt they follow the bootprints in the direction of increasing scent to the end.  If they do, they won't be living very long!  LOL

On a related topic, isn't that why they say to freshen a drag rag as you go.......so the 'newest' scent is on the end where one is setup?

Drayton

Reaction score
I'll 2nd the deer at the truck.  While bohunting whitetail deer, I parked my truck along a service road under some powerlines. Me, my hunting budy and his son walk down the road about 1/4 mile when his son turns around and says "what's that?" Right next to my truck was a good size buck!

Ever since that I have always thought about building a blind in the bed of my truck!

Uncle Buck

Reaction score
I go right out of my stand and have had deer come below me to take a sniff... (Not while I was going) I have too make scrapes by going in the.. IT WORKS!!!!

miked

Reaction score
Drayton

I actually used my truck as a blind to draw my bow and kill a buck. I had been hunting all morning and came back to my truck to find a 6 pt a spike and 2 doe walking toward my truck. I got the spike. It was 12 ft from my truck when I shot him.

Surveyor

Reaction score
Last fall, my Uncle and frend were posted in stands on an alphalpha field adjacent to my Hunting cabin. there were 4 vehicles parked in the yard. they watched a 8 pt Buck saunter through the yard and sniff at some of the cars. Wasn't spooked at all.

Reaction score
I was buying doe urine until I tried peeing in scrapes and using my motion camera to test it out. I had 7 bucks check the same scrape with the human pee  on film. Now I pee in scrapes all the time and have had great results..

PS I eat meat and drink beer and my pee still brings 'em in :)

Buck Wooten

Reaction score
Shot a monster 12 point last year 30 yards from my truck after setting in a tree stand for 4 hours.  He was standing in the field next to my truck when I was coming out of the woods to go home.  Funny thing about it, I had urinated beside my truck that morning before I went to my stand.

kmitch

Reaction score
I don't have any hard evidence to support either claim, but I hope human urine does spook deer instead of attract them. Last year I found a poacher's corn bait pile on my property at the opening of archery season. I had always thought that human urine would spook deer so I whizzed all around the corn. Would be really disappointed to find I helped him out.

Keith  

Jon Bain

Reaction score
Welcome Buck Wooten and congrats on the 12 pointer.

kmitch, it was a valant effort, but you may just want to notify the game warden next time.  It's a nasty job, but someone has to do it.

Top Bottom