Does Patriotism Matter?

gwhunter69

Reaction score
Does Patriotism Matter?
By Thomas Sowell

The Fourth of July is a patriotic holiday but patriotism has long been viewed with suspicion or disdain by many of the intelligentsia. As far back as 1793, prominent British writer William Godwin called patriotism "high-sounding nonsense."

Internationalism has long been a competitor with patriotism, especially among the intelligentsia. H.G. Wells advocated replacing the idea of duty to one's country with "the idea of cosmopolitan duty."
LINK

rcrosby

Reaction score
I like Thomas Sowell and think he is a great writer. What I have to ask myself is what is patriotism? Is it alligiance to the piece of dirt encompassed by our borders? Is it alligiance to a war that is being waged under false pretenses? Is it to the new Department of Home Land Defense that the party of limited federal government created? Is it being strip searched in airports, pushing a national ID card, counterfeiting our money as fast as they can? Is it a blatant disregard for Posse Comitatus and Habeas Corpus?

My patriotism is to the ideas and beliefs our country was founded on. A fundamental belief that the rights of men come from an almighty god and are unalienable. That less government is better than more government. That what I earn through my labor is mine. That the 10th amendment means what it says, "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people." That the general welfare clause is as it was promised, not a blank check to government programs. I believe the constitution promised a sound currency that the government could not inflate out of thin air.

I believe that the oath our politicians take, "to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States" is the essence of patriotism. Now tell me what party is patriotic? The answer is neither. If you want to be a patriot... This forth of July read the Constitution to your kids. Read the the federalist and the anti-federalist letters. Then you tell me that George Bush, Barrack Obama, John McCain or any politician of this age has more insight and knowledge than any of the founders of this country.

This weekend when you are so eager to go through a DUI checkpoint become a true patriot and ask yourself if the founders of this great country would comply with such a blatant violation of their Constitutional Rights. Go out and be a true patriot and buy yourself a real tool of patriotism, a rifle and learn to be proficent with it. Patriotism isn't talking to Hannity. It is living with the same beliefs and knowledge that the true patriots of this country did. Even if you have to back a few hundred years to find one.

Common Sense

Reaction score
After reading rcrosby's rant; I have this strange desire to go shoot a ground squirrel(with a lead bullet).

Does that make me a patriot or an outlaw? (or maybe it makes me both!)

rcrosby

Reaction score
Common Sense I know you to be a patriot. Hey it is all civil-disobedience when no one gets hurt. I bought an extra box of fire works just to spite Arnold. Funny thing that they ask us to cut back our celebrations when the fires are largely a result of the governments poor forestry policies.

Common Sense

Reaction score
It didn't bother me that Arnold "asked" us not to buy fireworks. It would have bothered me if he told us we couldn't.

While I don't like it; I think the government has every right to tell us we cannot use lead bullets on government land. But when they tell me I cannot use lead bullets on my property to kill an animal that condors don't even eat and I am in a county that hasn't seen a condor in over twenty years...

easymoney

Reaction score
CS, I still shoot them with lead out of my pellet gun and as far I know they haven't listed 177 or 22 cal pellets as off limits yet...

Common Sense

Reaction score
I usually use a 177 pellet gun at the cabin, wife doesn't like the "noisy" .22. But now I'll have to do my patriotic duty and use the .22(but I'll usually use the quiet sub-sonics).

ETC2NA

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
The patriotism of an American is neither to the land, nor the flag (though both are our symbols). Our patriotism is to the ideas, the beliefs and the spirit that the Declaration sprang out of, the Constitution was founded on and what Lincoln was talking about in the Gettysburg address.

Patriotism is to the idea of America, which is why a patriot can stand against abuses by the government in good conscience without being a traitor in truth. Thus the freedom of speech and the right to peaceful assembly to address these wrongs and the right to keep and bear arms to enforce these and other rights.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom