does this work?

HUNTER12

Reaction score
i live in nc an hour nort of winston- salem. i was wanding if i soke a some homeade sentwicks in water and sugar, will it attract deer, i found what i believe to be 2 deer prints but i'm not sure.

thanks for ure time and help :)

Jon Bain

Reaction score
You never know.  I've heard of deer being attracted to sweets like sugar, cain, and molasses and even sweet apple scents.  The best thing to do is give it a try and see.  I do not believe it will hurt.  

Welcome to the board.  JB

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 Guy i work with puts out corn and adds sweet tarts,says you almost have to hit the deer with a whip to get then to leave,so i would say they have a sweet tooth,I have had horses  and they always loved sweets,any other animal should be the same

HUNTER12

Reaction score
thanx guys, thats what i thought, i just wanted to make sure

D Letho

Reaction score
easy way to tell is put some out and if you have a game camera put it out with it and check it ! Just a thought.

HUNTER12

Reaction score
i actualy think theres something wrong with my cam, i doesn;t take pics even though deer have been there while it was on. i've tryed defferent hights and angles, what sould i do.

D Letho

Reaction score
Hunter12,

Not sure what brand camera you have. I have the Highlander photoscout. The same thing happened to me one time. It was out for a week and a half and no pics but could see tracks in my plot. Then I checked it the following weekend and it took all 24 pics. I was ready for the one hour moto photo !!!! To my surprice all 24 pics where taken in about 24 minutes ( with no deer and $8.00 later).

I changed the batteries and set it up again. same thing no pics where being takin. It seems my camera will not set right unless I do a walk by test first and then click the start button.

Another reason might be cause of the heat we are having right now. The deer might have to get so close for it to trigger off. I removed my purge screw and my camera is working great . Even in 85 to 90 degree weather. Just got a real nice rack in velvet about a week ago ( most of it is hiddin behind some tall grass though)

Hope I helped a little . There are alot better people in this forum then I to answer your Camera questions though.
                                           Don

VA Hunter

Reaction score
I have heard the same thing.  I have a "recipe" for ya'll to try, if ya'll have apples around there.  
 cover Scent/Attractant:
    -75% Apple Juice
    -5% Sugar
    -2% Salt
    -18% Water

Dip a scent drag in that and make a trail of it around your stand.  Try that and tell me your results.  Thanks,

Bubba

treestandman2

Reaction score
Not sure about the sugar and water but deer do love apples.  Put some out if your allowed in  your area.  Try not to touch them with you bare hands, leaving that human scent.  As for dragging scents- never drag one directly to your treestand.  I did that once and had a small 6 point follow it to my tree and then look up straight at me.  I didn't want him but started blowing the morning hunt was over.  I did learn a good lesson.  If I use a drag scent I always walk a circle aroung my stand and tie it to a bracnh where I can get a good shot.  

Underclocked

Reaction score
I'm thinkin' if VA Hunter's recipe doesn't work out for a deer attractant, you might just leave it sit in the jug awhile and then give it a taste.  

HUNTER12

Reaction score
i've been working on my suger water and it works great, two have been ripped down!

wolverine

Reaction score
Some guys around here smear peanut butter on logs,etc. This will attract deer.

Hideandwatch

Reaction score
Hey Underclocked...don't forget to add the yeast to Va hunters recipe...maybe even add a little rice or paotato to it...sure fire way to fall outta yer stand, or maybe not even make it to the stand.

My wife told me to throw some apples out there...but I don't think that is legal in missouri.

GIVEMTHEBLADE

Reaction score
Everone,

I have a photo hunter and It did the hoof marks but no picture thing to me also!!! So I sent it in the service center, and 50.00 later It takes pics again!!! Now I do the test wait for it to get ready and make sure the flash goes off before I leave the sight of my camera!!!! Also If you have a photo hunter don't use Fugi film!! It works about 1/2 the time!!!!!

GIVEMTHEBLADE

Reaction score
HUNTER12,

DO you have a PHOTO HUNTER ???? Because fugi film does'nt work in mine or my friends!!!! Maybe it's how we load it, Or we just don't know how to use them!!! But after 650 pics I think we got it down!!!!!

HUNTER12

Reaction score
i have a trailtimer or somethin', it cost over 200 bucks though so it better work. i got a real nice pic of my to dogs that aren't in a fience

Top Bottom