Dog Training Permits for Pigeons?

wmidbrook

Reaction score
Do you need a dog training permit to use live pigeons in CA? ...just curious. I know you need a permit for using live, raised gamebirds.

duckdog

Reaction score
You no longer need a permit for dog training with game birds in CA. You are required to have a hunting lic if you are the person shooting.

MexHunter

Reaction score
But you do not need a hunting license to shoot pigeons over your dog as they are not game birds.

duckdog

Reaction score
Calif. Code of Regulations Title 14
Dog Training and Feild Trials Regulations

Copied from that site:

"(b) Release and Take of Birds. Notwithstanding Section 671.6 of these regulations, bobwhite and coturnix quail, domestic pigeons, and the following domestically reared game birds may be released and/or taken during dog training or organizational field trials in accordance with subsections (b)(1) through (b)(5) of this section, general resident game bird regulations, or licensed game bird club regulations: pheasants (Phasianus colchicus), including all ring-necked pheasant races, chukar, Hungarian partridge and captive-reared mallard ducks.

(1) Hunting License Required. Each person taking domestically reared game birds must possess a valid California hunting license. In addition, each person, except holders of junior hunting licenses, taking Hungarian partridge, ring-necked pheasant, and chukar must possess a valid Upland Game Bird Stamp. "

wmidbrook

Reaction score
Wow, that's good news for residents! Thanks for the info.

If I'm interpreting that correctly it means those traveling to CA to do a hunt test or trial need a CA hunting license and upland game stamp. I haven't heard of other states requiring that for hunt tests or trials. But, maybe that's only for the shooter and not the handler? ....dunno.

duckdog

Reaction score
I had asked the DFG that same question about whether or not at a hunt test you need a lic., even if you are not the one shooting the bird. The answer they gave me was....YES

They quoted me what is in the regs., "Each person taking domestically reared game birds."

If you recieve (take from your dog) the bird. Then you must have a hunting lic. for Calif. Now I have not yet seen them enforce that rule, but hey, it could happen.

pbrdog

Reaction score
Is there anybody who has a hunting dog that doesn't have a hunting license and the required stamps? Maybe I'm just not reading it right.

duckdog

Reaction score
pbrdog..The answer is yes. It has amazed me at how many ppl have dogs that run Hunt Tests and Feild Trials and have never hunted. Their dog even hasn't went on a real wild game hunt. Only domestic raise game birds....Sad, I know, but true.

If you ever go to a trial/test. I would have to say at least 1/2 the ppl that are not a pro, don't even have a hunting lic on them or ever bought one. I have asked a lot of women at the tests whether or not they have a lic, and they would reply, "Why, I don't hunt."

pbrdog

Reaction score
I never thought of it like that. I understand now. Thanks.

wmidbrook

Reaction score
A lot of people travel to various tests and trials outside their home states too. They may hunt a lot in their home state but have no intentions of hunting the state in which they are attending a hunt dog event.

MexHunter

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (duckdog @ Apr 29 2008, 10:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I had asked the DFG that same question about whether or not at a hunt test you need a lic., even if you are not the one shooting the bird. The answer they gave me was....YES

They quoted me what is in the regs., "Each person taking domestically reared game birds."

If you recieve (take from your dog) the bird. Then you must have a hunting lic. for Calif. Now I have not yet seen them enforce that rule, but hey, it could happen.[/b]
Dana,

The answer they gave you is wrong...but what else is new. The department, at a high level, has agreed that only the shooters need licenses. Also, to clarify, a pigeon is not a game bird so a license is not needed. If you run into trouble on training issues with the DFG, please let me know. My wife has been working with DFG on dog training policy and legislation for many years. They wish to promote our sport and have been supportive in Sacramento.

Russ

AnewBigDaddyB

Reaction score
many of the folks competing, testing, trialing in these events, are, in fact, non-hunters!

Many of these folks aspire their breeding programs to contain the various field titles! That said, yes, there are many that haven't placed a foot in the natural uplands/blinds to learn whether their charges actually have what it takes, except of course, within a "judges eyes"

Trials/tests show explicitly, the fantastic training of these charges/champions!

However, there ARE many of these owners/trainers, that have yet to spend dreary cold mornings within a waterfowl blind, or traverse the hillsides, with or without snow, behind their champions to see "REALITY'

That said, you better believe, there ARE multitudes of the "flip side of the coin" they are the true "dog men/women" those that DO get into the "naturals" with their canines for the pursuit of the "WILD"

My hat is off to each and everyone, for they're the true "Dog Man"

THE LAB GUY

Reaction score
Dana how are you doing long time no talk since your hunt test. Anyway talk to you soon The Lab Guy

Maverick

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AnewBigDaddyB @ Jun 3 2008, 08:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
many of the folks competing, testing, trialing in these events, are, in fact, non-hunters!

Many of these folks aspire their breeding programs to contain the various field titles! That said, yes, there are many that haven't placed a foot in the natural uplands/blinds to learn whether their charges actually have what it takes, except of course, within a "judges eyes"

Trials/tests show explicitly, the fantastic training of these charges/champions!

However, there ARE many of these owners/trainers, that have yet to spend dreary cold mornings within a waterfowl blind, or traverse the hillsides, with or without snow, behind their champions to see "REALITY'

That said, you better believe, there ARE multitudes of the "flip side of the coin" they are the true "dog men/women" those that DO get into the "naturals" with their canines for the pursuit of the "WILD"

My hat is off to each and everyone, for they're the true "Dog Man"
[/b]
Dave I'm not really sure what your getting at, but there are plenty of folks that take there dog out hunting that have no clue of the " Reality" of what a hunting dog should and could be. I'm willing to bet that the majority of the tiltled dogs of what ever breed that have a MH/FC would have not problems in a real hunting situation.

CA_pheasant

Reaction score
The former Dog Training Permit program was discontinued a few years ago.
The ridiculous fee was $2.75 and every year I would renew, and grab say 100 bird stamps (required for pen raised game birds: pheasant/chuckar) at another ridiculous fee of $.03 per stamp. Cost me more to drive to DFG than the permits/stamps.

We wonder how DFG is wasting money. A program with the admin overhead w/o real cost to consumers is a waste.

Another one is the free harvest stamp. What does this cost DFG? How about requiring the harvest survey as part of the license. Forget the extra stamp.
I believe for 2008 the upland game stamp is part of the base license - at increased price but the admin has to be less. This is fine by me since I hunt upland primarily.

Make licenses, permits, tags, ... simple and more cost effective to manage.
How about using the internet? Could verify state residency by driver's license too.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom