Dog training season???

Patricknumber44

Reaction score
In the past, dog training in the field was closed during the spring/early summer.
Does anyone know when you can start to train Dogs in the field?
Thanks and good shooting to you,
Patrick

Whoadog

Reaction score
 At Gray Lodge they don't let you run dogs there until after July 1st.  I am not sure when in the spring that you are not suppose to since i have pointing dogs that won't catch birds I run them year round.

Brian

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Depends on which refuge you want to work out of.  Best bet is to call the individual refuge and check it out.  

tinner

Reaction score
call me silly but i just felt sentimentel and brought back a topic from 3 years ago almost the begining.

vrstull

Reaction score
Game regs prohibit training April through June. Lot of people don't know that when it is lawful to train you need a permit from DFG regardless of when you train. I trained with a friend at Etiwanda Game Assn couple years back during the prohibited period and it was because the Assn had a permit that allowed its members to do so on Assn property. Game warden actually came by and checked our hunting licenses, then went to the Assn office to make sure its permit was in order. Guess he was having a slow day.
Vic
Redlands, CA.

DKScott

Banned
Reaction score
Vic, I think they changed those regs this year. I found this on the DFG website:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
§ 677 Dog Training and Organizational Field Trials Trial Permits. (a) Dog Training When No Wild Birds Are Captured, Injured, or Killed. Notwithstanding Section 265 of these regulations, a person may train dogs to retrieve, or to point or flush game birds, or may train for or participate in field trials or similar events related to these activities, at any time of year from sunrise to sunset if no wild birds are captured, injured, or killed. Domestically reared birds may be released and taken for dog training or field trials only as provided in Section 677(b). Dogs shall not be trained on or otherwise be allowed to pursue any birds that have special protection under California or federal law, including but not limited to fully protected birds (Section 3511 of the Fish and Game Code) and endangered, threatened or candidate species (Section 670.5 of these regulations and Code of Federal Regulations, Title 50, Section 17.11).

(b) Release and Take of Birds. Notwithstanding Section 671.6 of these regulations, bobwhite and coturnix quail, domestic pigeons, and the following domestically reared game birds may be released and/or taken during dog training or organizational field trials in accordance with subsections (b)(1) through (b)(5) of this section, general resident game bird regulations, or licensed game bird club regulations: pheasants (Phasianus colchicus), including all ring-necked pheasant races, chukar, Hungarian partridge and captive-reared mallard ducks.

(1) Hunting License Required. Each person taking domestically reared game birds must possess a valid California hunting license. In addition, each person, except holders of junior hunting licenses, taking Hungarian partridge, ring-necked pheasant, and chukar must possess a valid Upland Game Bird Stamp.

(2) Prior Notification Required. Persons releasing and/or taking game birds in accordance with this section during organized field trials or hunt tests shall provide the Department's regional office in the region where the birds will be released and/or taken the following information at least three business days prior to the activity. This notification shall be in letter form, by fax, or by internet. The information required includes:
(A) The name, address, and telephone number of the person providing the information.

(B) The location that birds will be released and/or taken.

© The approximate number of each species of bird that will be released and/or taken.

(D) The approximate number of persons who will be involved in the release and/or take.

(E) The date and time that birds will be released and/or taken. For any event where more than one person may be taking birds, only a single notification is required.[/b]
The existing text relating to the issuance of training permits was lined out. It appears that a valid hunting license with the approriate stamps is now adequate. Note the obligation to provide notice. If this is all there is to it, it sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Here's the link to the entire text: http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fg_comm/2004/677finalregs.pdf

Scott

vrstull

Reaction score
Cool. Then I need not have been sweatin' a visit from the game warden after all this past June?
Vic

DKScott

Banned
Reaction score
That's right Vic - you can now sleep the sleep of the righteous, or at least the sleep of the not guilty.

Scott

Top Bottom