don't try this!!

bradleydale

Reaction score
I thought I read about this idea somewhere here where someone had used the expanding foam insulation to fill up a case while the components were inside (wrapped in aluminum foil) to get a perfect mold.
From my experience, Don't do this!!! I'm still cleaning up my case and components.

I may not be able to add new cutting edge tech stuff here but I can probably be resource as to what not to do:)

Any of you had other luck?

davered1

Reaction score
I seen that post to.I was going to try it but didn't want to put cam in with that stuff.Sounds like I had good reason

Jaggermax

Inactive
Reaction score
Bradley, I did the exact same thing.  I bought the spray foam thinking it would cure in about 5 minutes.  In reality it was about 25 hours.  I got so impatient that I got the crap everywhere because I kept sticking my finger in it to see if it was dry.  Lesson learned!

bradleydale

Reaction score
Yep..I'm sitting here this morning with my finger tips still covered in the stuff.

jayber

Reaction score
Good idea in concept......and I thought about doing it long ago.  Sounds like I'm lucky I didn't!!  Good luck with the mess!

Matt in MO

Reaction score
they should develop bombs with "Great Stuff" and fill in all those caves in Afganistan!

quackmaster

Reaction score
Was it that sticky yellow stuff in the red can? :laffin-yellow:
I've had a few nice experiences with that stuff too!
That stuff won't come off clothing very easily, and it makes a nice stain on masonite siding!
When I came in the house I those yellow boogers on
my fingers. My wife accused me of nose pickin.

bradleydale

Reaction score
This was a green can, the triple expanding kind from wally world.
The outside layer was ok but the inner never dried or within 24 hours and also left holes in it.

Zeke

Reaction score
One way to use the expanding stuff would be to block off the area where the camera and other stuff are gonna be...like maybe a block of wood covered with wax paper. Then when the foam cured, pop out the the blocks and put cam and the rest of the gear in. Or you could just spray the foam in the empty box, then carve out where the euip. will be mounted. Just my 2 pennies. Z

Jaggermax

Inactive
Reaction score
What timing for a post like this.  I was watching my favorite channel, TLC, and they had a show on about alternative non lethal weapons.  I swear they showed a weapon on the show which shot out a two part foam which immediately stopped the attacker dead in his tracks.  It looked a lot like the foam we used in our boxes.  

They performed a test on an actual guy.  As soon as the foam came out of the gun and hit him, it trippled in volume and more or less froze the guy in his tracks.  It was funny as hell to see.  He looked like the Pillsbury Dough Boy.  

Drayton

Reaction score
I'll fess up...it was my BRIGHT idea. It can be a stickey gooey mess using "Great Stuff" foam but it worked great for me.

Here is a tip: If you have never used "Expanding foam insulation" try it out first. Spray a small amount on a sheet of wax paper and let it sit over night. ( do not try this on your wife's antique coffee table!)

Observe how BIG it got over night! Now you can guess how little it takes to fill up a game camera case. One can could do a bunch of cases. Should you use too much, the foam will not expand and dry leaving a sticky gooey mess.

I hope this helps.

Oh, if you are wondering what to do with the remaining unused foam...I used mine to "heal" my home made archery target.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom