Double D's and Armor

Bubblehide

Banned
Reaction score
I was fortunate enough to get out once again, on a work/hunt trip. I spent way to much time working, and not nearly enough time hunting. Kinda a usual thing though, as ranches just take a whole lot of maintenance.<br>

<br>On a couple previous trips with a good friend, we hung out after sunset, just to get a feel for if there were any pigs around, since it was dry and the soil hard. So, there wasn't much for sign being left. After legal shooting light, we found a small group of pigs, a few time, working a specific area. Due to the lack of sign being left, we were left wondering where they were coming from. The more likely areas, we had covered, and it was exceptionally unlikely they could get around us without us seeing them. I formed a couple theories, but that is all they were.

<br>So on this trip, I barely managed to get up there in time to squeeze in an evening hunt. But as things would go, the owners wanted me to hang out and enjoy the sunset with them and a glass or two of wine. So I spent the time in good company, and enjoying some well earned relaxation time after a hard week of work. In the morning I managed a short hunt, and then went to work on a power pole that had dry rotted and was leaning getting ready to pull out the live wires feeding it. The power pole was feeding the well pumps, and it was a precarious situation that was not getting worse, only due to a temporary fix of being tied off with a rope.

<br>After working all day on the power pole, digging a deep hole to set a counter anchor for a cable to be attached to (this is a return trip/hunt opportunity, as the concrete needs to cure before affixing the cable; a small job) I had just enough time to get a short evening hunt in. So with little time to spare, I skipped the shower, and headed out, with the stench of the day on me, along with my buddy. He set up overlooking a productive spot, while I took a gamble on an area close by.

<br>With about 15 minutes of legal shooting light left, I decided to take another gamble and hit another area (open area) across the creek bed from my buddy. I have a small feeder creek to cross and I'll be in the general area I was heading, and my buddy is strongly suggesting I go to him. He is indicating I hurry. So as stealthy as I can, I literally do a bit more than a slow run. He tried to point out the pigs he saw way off in the distance, but he thinks they dropped into the creek bed. Since I worked my ass off, he want me to go after them. But I am pretty sure that they are headed to where I was originally headed, dropping into the creek bed and coming up the other side.

<br>After a short, ah, discussion, My buddy thinks I have lost my mind, and he goes chasing them, and I try to get ahead of them. To my delight, just as I was dropping into the creek bed, trying to pick my way through a plethora of broken branches from a fallen dead tree, I look across the creek bed, and there they are, right in front of me. To my dismay, I never made it across the creek bed and up the other side, but at least some pigs had. I shoot the first one, a sow. The pigs simply don't know which direction to commit to going. I have 3 pigs heading straight toward me. The turn slightly, giving me a shot opportunity, and boom, my rifle goes off again. I try to jack in another round for number 3, and the round doesn't go up level, so it gets hung up. Two groups return from the other side, a minute or two apart, down the slope and toward my buddy.

<br>By the time I fix the feed issue, the pigs are all gone. I walk over to where I shot the first one, look around a bit, and find her. She has a huge belly, along with double Ds. She tries to run, but hobbles through the brush with a broken leg and some major hurt. I cut her off, and she squares up with me. I reach out with my rifle and put one round through her head. In the mean time, my buddy has pigs screaming past him with the after burners on. With the brush, he simply didn't have a clean shot opportunity. But he saw pretty much the same thing I did. the first group almost caught him off guard and they soared past him (pigs really do have wings). The the next two groups, separated by about a minute. By the time we got the pigs skinned and quartered, I was utterly exhausted. I ate a light meal, and finally hit the sack, about 2:00 A.M.

<br>The next morning we are both dragging. After two cups of coffee and an egg mcmuffin type samich,  we head over to the power pole, to pick up a few things. My buddy spots to snakes going at each other like king cobras with half their bodies in the air. As it turns out, there were three. It looked like one got chased off by the dominant male as the pair appeared to be engaged in some serious fornication.

<br>So in short, despite the lack of sign, the pigs are still out there. Recognizing some patterns helps in putting it all together in making the harvest. But be careful, the snakes are out there also, breading more.

With my butt dragging, I loaded up the ice chest, along with everything else, and heading back to the comfort of home. I could have fit another pig in my freezer; so I think a good cleaning of my rifle is in order (it's actually way overdue). You know, I can't have the issue next time I am faced with the opportunity for multiple pigs.

Best of luck to you all!

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
Congrats on the double bubble......lol
Great morning read thnx for sharing!....tra

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
Too cool, My Friend, can't beat fresh meat in the freezer !

Tech

Reaction score
What a lovely pig story. :hog chewing:
I love reading full report like this rather than someone got a pic of a dead pig says " got it done".

Top Bottom