Dove at Carrizo

Thonzberry

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has Hunted out at Carrizo for the opener or any other time for Doves, if so does it get a lot of people out there and is it safe or are there a bunch of triger happy hunters that pepper everthing.

Frank

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Thonzberry, 2 friends of mine hunted dove near the campground there a year or 2 ago. They got a few birds and I do not believe anyone else was there and it was on opening day also.  I have seen & shot at dove there, but do not believe they are very plentyfull. Or at least area's I've been anyhow.

Good Luck
Frank  

Thonzberry

Reaction score
Frank, The last JHP coyote hunt up at Carrizo there were doves in the hundreds. They would be in packs of 20 to 30. I thinking about going up there in August for a look and maybe go on the opener or a week or two later.

Frank

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
That's more than I have seen there, so you did good.  Definitely sounds like it's worth at least one dove hunting attemp there anyhow. The only time I shoot at dove there is during its second season while hunting for quail. Let us know how you do, should you end up going.

Frank    

Thonzberry

Reaction score
Frank, How is the Quail hunting out there. Is there a general area they hang out. There were some guys that were hunting quail near the camp area.

We were out there the weekend after the secound half of dove was over, and there was a lot, I'll let you know when we go out there, maybe you can join us. Who knows it might turn into a JHP hunt..

(Edited by Thonzberry at 9:11 pm on June 23, 2002)

Frank

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Thonzberry, I would like to join up and hunt yotes or birds with you in the Carrizo. It is one of my favorite places.  

While I "usually" find quail out there, sometimes huge, 50 & 100 bird coveys, I would have to rate it only fair.  Reason I say that is, the few places I know are usually inconsistent and some of it very rough country / difficult to hunt & chase once busted (and of course is where I have seen the most birds). Typical, huh? :)

Yes, there are quail over the hill, right behind the campground and those hunters may have possibly known that?!

Will keep in touch
Frank  

QALHNTR

Reaction score
<font face="Tahoma">At the last Carrizo open, I went up a small canyon about 2 miles into the park.  At the end of the road, there is a small cattle trough.  I walked past it about 200 yards and I had pairs of doves flying past me for two hours.  It might not be Blythe, but it'd be a good spot if they stick around.  I only saw two covies of quail, both about 15 - 20 birds.  Both covies flushed into some REALLY heavy brush.  It would have been a nightmare to get to them.  </font>

awackywabbit

Reaction score
Well if there is not too many trigger happy folks out there on the Dove opener I may be out there myself with my new pup.  I want to get him into some real hunting situations prior to quail season to see what I need to work on in training, but I don't want him to be out there if it sounds like WWIII with little or no bird action.

yotegetter

Reaction score
I got a few birds out there last year 2 days into the opener closer to the Soda Lake side. They're pretty tough out there, I'll tell you that. The way Blythe sounds, as I've never been there, QALHNTR is right I would imagine. I ran into a lot of rattlesnakes when I was out there. You better be careful awackywabbit with your new pup that it doesn't get bitten. I'd worry about that more than it sounding like a war out there. This last time we went to hunt yotes, I didn't see any rattlesnakes. Only gopher snakes.

bloodsports

Reaction score
Yotegetter,  Your right Blythe on the opener it is a nightmare.  That is why I started going down there the second weekend.  I hardly ever see anyone there the second weeked.  I usually hunt Mericopa the opening weekend and do fairly fell.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom