Dove Decoys

Fubar

Reaction score
I was just wondering if any of you use dove decoys and are they effective? Where do you put them and how many do you use?               Fubar

jerry d

Reaction score
Read somewhere they now have a moto-dove.

Just get half dozen and put them in the field and "Shazam", your trigger finger will be sore for a month. :O

But ya better get um before they're banned!!! :ABG

colby18

Reaction score
anytime I've ever hunted dove they always stayed on one specific fly route hence not needing decoys if you can  position yourself along that route.

gtbait

Reaction score
Fubar, I've used them on occasion. Usually during the middle of the day when the singles are restless and the shooting's slow. They're a confidence builder. At least for 46 year old eyes when hunting with my son. Turkey hunting was'nt fruitfull for me this year. Maybe I'll paint a few to imitate a hen, just for those near sighted toms! We've seen similiar done with Turkey dekes, make-up applied to look like a Goose.

Whoadog

Reaction score
 I only use them in the late season adn I put out 3-4 in a tree that has few leaves.  I have had as many as twenty doves come at once to land in the tree, fun!

Brian

Ponscm

Reaction score
I've used them as well, only about eight at a time.  I have had doves land on the wire right next to the decoys when I wasn't paying attention.  All you hear is that distinctive whistle and you look over and there is a dove looking back at you.  It's a lot of fun.

Marty

Reaction score
I don't use decoys when shooting dove.  When my friends and I are down by the Salton Sea we use the dove scarecrow technique.  We distance ourselves between rows of motor homes and hawaiian shirt wearing sky blasters.  This tends to funnel the birds into a flyway right past us.  Works really well down there.  :D
All the noise usually dies down by 9am when they retreat to the motor homes to escape the heat.

hronk

Reaction score
I use a 1/2 dozen quite a bit up here in the Owens Valley.  Traditionally we don't have a lot of Dove up here so anything helps.  Watch out though, they bring in sluicers too......hronk

dhodsdon

Reaction score
where is the cheapest or any place that a guy can get some dove decoys??????

Fubar

Reaction score
dhodsdon   I know Turners has them here in So Cal. A long way from Hanford. I am not sure if Bass Pro or Cabellas has them. Turners has a web site you can buy from. Try http://www.Turners.com. They have Flambeau for 69 dollars a doz. When you go to the store you can buy from 1 decoy up. Fubar

(Edited by Fubar at 7:59 pm on July 27, 2001)

Top Bottom