Dove hunt questions/advice

Pasco

Reaction score
Hunted doves for the first time last year, full camo, no decoys, 5 birds, 4 hrs, 9 shells, had a great time.

I was in full camo but had no decoys.  Does the camo really matter on opening day?  I scout before the season and the birds could care less what I'm wearing, do they get that smart Sept 1?

Also do you guys use decoys, it seems like a gimmick that wouldn't work.  Anyone notice a difference in using them?  I'll happily shell out a few bucks if it will bring some of those long shots closer.

I hope I don't sound too harsh, I'm just trying to learn.

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
I usually wear a mesh camo shirt (I hunt in Imperial Valley).  If it’s really hot, then I’ll wear shorts, if it’s bearable I’ll wear brush pants.  I’d say 75% of them folks out there wear at least a camo shirt, but I’d say it’s not THAT important.  I wouldn’t suggest to not wear camo, but drab colors are suitable.

I’ve never used decoys and never hunted with anybody who did either, and I’ve never had a problem getting a limit. But then again, I’ve never shot 4 birds with only 9 shells.

Where do you hunt?

Good luck this weekend!!

Hogskin

Banned
Reaction score
This is just my opinion and it's worth what you pay for it, but.... I think that camo is necessary on opening day.  Those birds are being shot at like there's no tomorrow.  If you're wearing a white t-shirt and an orange hat, don't be surprised if they stay out of gun range.  

As to the dekes, somebody gave me a couple some years back.  I used them two years ago and it didn't seem to make much difference at all.  I used them again last year and they helped a lot.  The birds in the area I was hunting were much scarcer and they seemed to make the birds a little more comfortable.  Could be just my imagination, but they seem to work in the years when there are fewer birds in the valley.

Good luck,
Paul

grizz

Reaction score
My opinion is if thier flyin by and your just pass shootin, why bother with deks.  If thier comeing in to an area and landing say food,water, roost. then deks can, and do help get them where you want to shoot.  I usaully only use one or two.
  Wear at least natural colors or try to blend in, and be still til your ready to shoot.  

Swampy

Reaction score
  Years ago my brother had a 870 with a full choke. I swear I heard doves giggle as he kept missing. He couldn't have hit water if he fell out of a boat. The next day he shows up with a bright aqua colored shirt on. The birds would stay far enough away from him his pattern could open up a bit more and he started to connect. I would go for the camo, unless your using a full choke....

QALHNTR

Reaction score
For my first 3 or 4 years, my standard attire was a white T-shirt and blue jeans.  We usually sat behind some salt cedar and it didn't help or hinder.  Now, half the fun is wearing a new, mesh camo shirt and giving the other guys a hard time.   Enjoy.

Pasco

Reaction score
Hey Fullsack, I hunted out at San Jacinto.  Today I just became humble at the hands of several dove.  14 shells, 2 birds that's what happens when you get cocky.  Still had fun, too hot for the kids.  As far as como goes, I'd say 50% wore full-on hunter orange the rest camo, 2 white tee shirts.

MNHNTR

Reaction score
I wear some type of camo shirt and any color of shorts as long as they are green or tan.  I usually hide behind bushes anyway.   I believe that after being shot at,  the doves do start looking at the ground and if you are not hidden somewhat , they will avoid you.  I average 5 to 8 shells per bird. I guess I will have to practice more or not !!! haha

huntducks

Reaction score
I usually wear a tan mesh hunting vest with a camo t-shirt under it and any shorts that are cool.

Decoys do work on midday hunting if you can climb a dead roosting tree and put them in, this will work later in season or during second season, I use to do this for years down at the sea, and always had some good shooting, but only in a known miday roosting tree.

lostagain

Reaction score
Camo or a earth tome shirt is good. I've used both and they both work depending on the area I'm hunting in. If you are hunting near orchards (with permission of course) back in the tree a bit (edge) to break up your silloute (sp). If you are out in the field find the nearest telephone pole and stand by it or squat down at bush level so they won't veer as far away. I have not used decoys since most of my shooting is fly bys and I'd swear those birds can see my shot and make an immediate left or right hand turn prior to meeting it.

Mojave

Reaction score
My Dos Centavos worth: I don't wear full camo, but I wear a camo boonie hat, a 3-color desert storm PAGST vest (modified with shell pockets and a bird pouch), drab shirt and faded Levis. I try to hunt with minimal company (3-4 guys total max). We all crouch behind cottonwood trees, or in a brush blind. I have noticed that the birds won't swerve away from my OD green Jeep, but they avoid my red Toyota Landcruiser P/U, so I think they see colors. I bought 12 Wonderduck dove deeks on eBay last year, and they do help in my kind of hunting - desert arroyo (drywash) cottonwood/willow environment; little to zero hunting pressure; low to medium dove density. The birds will practically land on the deeks, if you don't shoot at them first.

Thonzberry

Reaction score
SoCalxJr, camo yes dekes no. I.ve Hunted doves for over 25 yrs. and have always wore camo It does help. If you got why would you not use it to your advantage.

colby18

Reaction score
I've never worn camo.  I always have just worn a light colored shirt and some jeans.  This year I started off behind a tree but got caught shooting birds when I was standing in the middle of the field.  Got my limit in about an hour.  I think that on opening morning those birds are getting shot at so much that they don't know where to go.  It seemed like I was shooting at the same group of birds everytime, it was as if they would fly from one end of the field to another.  I also had a buddy that hunted behind some decoys, he got 3 birds all day.  

JesterSoCalifa

Reaction score
  My half of a Centavos worth, I agree that camo uppers or earth tones encluding your hat is a must. I strongly believe that MOVEMENT is the leading cause of any bird avoidence next to wearing a white t-shirt or showing a white face at ducks. Good info in all these replies that match most of the situations from opening day to the closer. In my posse where still limiting on Valley Quail weekly. It's sure been nice working a 4-10 work week with fridays off for the last ten years. C/YA in the fields only on fridays. The Bass (18lb'r taken this week) bite at Perris should be turning on not long after the Quail Season closer. Shoot straight and fly low!!!  

uhunter

Reaction score
Just my input. I hunted Dove on Camp Pendelton this year all in the late season and was required to where hunter orange. i limited out on dove 4 out of 6 times and had plenty of shooting. I was right in the middle of a burnt out area once and they kept coming in. I think that movement is the biggest factor.  

Swiss Lad

Reaction score
You are correct uhunter it's all about movement.  But movement wearing white or blaze is much easier to see.  The camo masks that head turn or arm shift while hunting gun shy birds.  Decoys work if you have birds already working the area.  They'll work closer.  Like duck decoys if they already have an agenda you'll only get a look then goodbye.

Top Bottom