Dove hunting Delta mendoza Canal Newman/Gustine

jcctez

Reaction score
Been dove hunting Delta Mendota Canal since I was a kid. I heard that they put gates up and closed access along canals in Newman area. Can Anyone in the area confirm before I drive up there tomorrow?

mischief209

Reaction score
Was out there last week fishing and their are new gates up in newman/gustine. If you go north of newman, Sturr Rd to patterson is still open. Small section down by Santa Nella near the cemetery is open,but not many birds flying over there due to the huge solar farm on west side of the canal. So in short south of Sturr to Santa Nella is gated. With the exception of a small section off 140, but the road is 50ft away and runs parallel so no shooting. I'll be down on the canal in between patterson and vernalis tomorrow morning. Im in a green dodge truck if you go out there and see it, stop by.... good luck.

mischief209

Reaction score
If that was confusing and your still not sure if your location is open, send me a pm and I'll let you know, I fish out there a bunch and have shot many o doves off the canal.

NewmanCA

Reaction score
Was out there last week fishing and their are new gates up in newman/gustine. If you go north of newman, Sturr Rd to patterson is still open. Small section down by Santa Nella near the cemetery is open,but not many birds flying over there due to the huge solar farm on west side of the canal. So in short south of Sturr to Santa Nella is gated. With the exception of a small section off 140, but the road is 50ft away and runs parallel so no shooting. I'll be down on the canal in between patterson and vernalis tomorrow morning. Im in a green dodge truck if you go out there and see it, stop by.... good luck.
Isn't the canal still open south of the Gustine exit? My friend's ranch is alongside the canal and I didn't see any gates although I didn't drive all that far. The gates were put up to limit access to the pumps that were installed in the canal last year to pump water backwards in the canal. I live close to the DMC.

NewmanCA

Reaction score
There should be a good number of doves near the canal just north of the Newman exit. There is a fenced 40 acre pasture there with a For Sale sign. The pasture ground is full of brown Turkey Mullien. Last time I drove by there I must have seen 100 dove inside.

mischief209

Reaction score
If gustine exit is hwy 140, then yes just a small strip of it south you can shoot on, before you start to parallel the road and have to stop shooting.Then a gate . Not sure what street newman exit is but the gate starts at orestimba rd. I wish I took notes of the streets, i could be off by 1 but pretty positive. In my original statement I said it started at Sturr but thinking back I'm pretty sure it's starts at orestimba. You'll find a spot even with the gates may have to drive around a bit and find a new spot but they are there. 1 more wrench is all the almond harvesting going on, that may push you out of a spot and have to find a new 1 also. I've had the decoy spread set, sitting on buckets waiting for the sun to rise only to have the shakers roll into the orchard I was set up on. I have 5 spots and hope I can find 1 open tomorrow. If not I'll move and find some more.

NewmanCA

Reaction score
If gustine exit is hwy 140, then yes just a small strip of it south you can shoot on, before you start to parallel the road and have to stop shooting.Then a gate . Not sure what street newman exit is but the gate starts at orestimba rd. I wish I took notes of the streets, i could be off by 1 but pretty positive. In my original statement I said it started at Sturr but thinking back I'm pretty sure it's starts at orestimba. You'll find a spot even with the gates may have to drive around a bit and find a new spot but they are there. 1 more wrench is all the almond harvesting going on, that may push you out of a spot and have to find a new 1 also. I've had the decoy spread set, sitting on buckets waiting for the sun to rise only to have the shakers roll into the orchard I was set up on. I have 5 spots and hope I can find 1 open tomorrow. If not I'll move and find some more.
Yes, the Gustine exit is Hwy 140. There were alot of doves along Bell Road just off the Newman exit but there are often hunters there the first day do they might have scared them off

mischief209

Reaction score
They had all the gates open yesterday south of 140, that was nice. There was also 3000 ppl and limited spots. If you weren't on a spot by 5 you were in troblue. Didn't go north of 140 so not sure if they opened those also just to be nice on opening day but I know when I was cruzing them Sunday most of them were closed. So that was nice. It was a decent shoot, I didn't get set up in the best spot due to getting there at 545 but it all worked out.

Celtic Clamper

Reaction score
Good luck off Bell. Shot limits yesterday. Shot alot this morning. Not many birds flying this evening. Already a truck every 200 yards.

bchains

Reaction score
Same here - very little action off the canals. Looking for new places :(

CA_Blacktail

Reaction score
Do you guys know if hunting is ok along the lower ends of the canals also? I'm talking about the Firebaugh/Mendota area.

NewmanCA

Reaction score
Good luck off Bell. Shot limits yesterday. Shot alot this morning. Not many birds flying this evening. Already a truck every 200 yards.
Yes, the field off Bell is full of Turkey Mullien and alot of doves off the freeway. I saw some old man posting no hunting signs on Bell on Dept of Water Resources property. He has no right to do that. The state wants no one hunting there but they haven't really been enforcing it. He is trying to keep the property for himself. Watch him get cited, lol

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom