Dove hunting - Inyo, Bishop / Mammoth?

verharst

Reaction score
I am hoping to get drawn for the Sage Grouse in south inyo kern by Lake Crowley just north of Bishop. I was wondering if anyone know if there is any dove hunting up in that area? I would think the altitude is too high, but i figured here would be a great place to ask around. Thanks in advance and also is there anyone else looking to get drawn for the sage grouse hunts in inyo kern? Tomorrow the results are posted!!! I'm feeling lucky...

Arcfish

Reaction score
The key to the dove hunting in the Owens Valley is the weather. If it holds out with heat and no wind, rain, cold nights, there will be birds all over the Bishop and Big Pine areas. Find the trees near the river and the outside the park area west of Bishop. Talk to some of the folks in town too.

ilovesprig

Reaction score
When I lived in Bishop the best areas were the Mill Pond area (west of Bishop), Chalfant Valley (HWY 6), and the alfalfa fields just south of town (395). Because weather is the biggest determining factor, and can change quickly, the birds are normally pretty concentrated. If you find one, you'll find a bunch. You may try Warren Dry Lake (just north of Big Pine) and the sunflower fields near Taboose Creek ( north of Independence) . Good luck, there's alot of country to cover, but these are pretty good places to start.

verharst

Reaction score
Thanks for the great infor. My correction on the timing of the grouse drawing. The final day to submit is tomorrow, drawing results will be the 22nd. again, thanks for the great information.

Quackr Wacker

Reaction score
Looked around San J on Saturday, literally saw 6 dove the entire time and 4 were in one group on the backside of Walkers. Drove out to Bridge Street area and saw 1 fly by. Drove Gilman Hot Springs Rd to the 60fwy and never saw a bird. Going to look again closer to opening day but as for now it looks like another pitiful year at San J for Dove.

buckkillerdeluxe

Reaction score
When I lived in Mammoth, we used to do pretty well on doves in the Little Hot Creek area. Just after sunrise and just before sunset there seems to be a nice stream of birds following the creek to the big pond at the end. Just be careful, you might see a few tree huggers camping out by the big pool.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom