Dove hunting the Yuma area

Dakota

Reaction score
I have only dove hunted once around the Delano area.  It was brief but plenty of fun.  I know a lot a CA guys make the trek to the Yuma area.  Can anyone give me a heads up on hunting the area?  I would like to meet an out of state buddy there for a hunt so I need to do a little homework early.

Thanks

SDHNTR

Reaction score
The hunting can be fabulous, just depends on whether on not you are on the right field.  That being said, overall I believe that hunting in the area is decreasing rapidly.  More houses are built each year and less and less grain is being grown.  The best advice is to spend a few days down there before the season opens and just drive around and scout.  I have hunted Yuma for years and have several general areas that always have potential but you still need to scout around and specifically find the hot fields and flight patterns.  Look for a grain field of some sort that the birds are hitting for food.  Make sure there is water (usually a canal) and roosting (usually citrus groves) within a short distance.  Find this and you will find birds.  Most hunting is concentrated South of town.  Good luck.

Dakota

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.  What about access and permission?  I have heard that it used to be that hunters were very welcome and could hunt anywhere is that still the case?

SDHNTR

Reaction score
I've never needed to ask for permission.  The fields where you cannot hunt will be clearly posted.  Just dont ever actually go into the orange groves.  This is what makes landowners post off entire fields.  Most landowners are pretty good about allowing hunting in the Yuma area.  I think they realize how much tourism it brings to the area.  Just pick up after yourself and others before you.

jrifenbark

Reaction score
I hunt the dunes out in Sommersville.  We get the land owner's permission but no one else does.  There is almost always a flock of 100-200 birds that come over a ridge at first light.  The hunting is good all day.

KID CREOLE

Reaction score
Arizona Farmers are much easier to get permission from, most of the time if you're hunting desert next to farms they don't mind.

Keep in mind the following:

1.  Never drive in a farmers field.
2.  Never leave trash.
3.  Never field dress birds on the farmers.
4.  Leave the field in better shape than when you got there.
5.  Pick up your empties

Top Bottom