Dove Hunting with New Pup

awackywabbit

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone here has some sugesstions as to where to go for the dove opener with a new pup.  This will be his first trip out and I don't want there to be a lot of shooting around him because I want to work him mostly on quartering and being steady to shot.  I don't usually hunt dove, but I figured this would be a good way to prepare him for the quail season which is what I normally hunt.  I would like to find a place and go out there with him prior to the opener to scout it out.  

Pasco

Reaction score
The trouble with going on a dove opener where there's not a lot of shooting is that there will also not be a lot of birds.  You know, here in SoCal if there's birds, there's shooters on the openers.  You might wait 'til week 2 and hit a hot opener location. Good luck with the pup.

Dakota

Reaction score
Make sure your pup is solid on retrieving before you use him on doves.  Some dogs will refuse to retrieve doves because they lose thier feathers so easily.  You don't want a young dog deciding that he doesn't want to retrieve.

awackywabbit

Reaction score
>>Make sure your pup is solid on retrieving before you use him on doves.  Some dogs will refuse to retrieve doves because they lose thier feathers so easily.  You don't want a young dog deciding that he doesn't want to retrieve.<<

I've never heard that about doves before, thanks for the tip.  I have heard that dogs often don't like quail because of they are more oily then most birds.  I had my pup on quail at 10 weeks, he balked at first, but now he loves them.  Maybe I should buy a dove from the pet store and kill it and see how he likes it!  Uh oh, the animal lovers are gonna come after me now when they read this, LOL!

JDC

Banned
Reaction score
Something to keep in mind:

Opening season for dove (first half) is miserably hot most anywhere you go. If you decide to take your pup, pick a place where he/she can get into water to cool down. Personally I refuse to take mine out and work her first season due to the heat.

awackywabbit

Reaction score
Good point.  I wasn't plan on working him all day.  Neither him nor I could stand the heat.  I'd just like to get in a few hours in the early morning before the sun comes out to ruin things, lol!  I just want to have him experience some real hunting prior to the quail opener in October, so I will know what I need to work on in my training sessions with him.

Top Bottom