Dove Report 09/01/01

Eric Mayer

Reaction score
Shot on private land across from public land.  Limited by 7:15am.  I had my 28 gauge, but passed on many shots because the low flyers would have meant direct hits on others (I wish the others would have done the same, I got tenderized... hehe).  There were ALOT of dove and most of the morning (we left at 8:30am) there were shots being fired.

My tallys - 10 Mourning Dove - 29 shells - Great time

Eric

GOBBLEMASTER

Reaction score
Congrats Eric.  We were about 2 miles from English and all though I limited by 8:30, the rest of the party (4 others) scratched off a total of 19 more.  I heard a ton of shooting but did not see many birds.  One group of 8 and the rest were all singles and doubles.  I felt very lucky to get a limit.  I would like to drive back down tomorrow. But weather is changing fast. Can you give me a little hint to where we might find a few flyers.  

R U going to hunt tomorrow?

Did U have any buddies give reports from El Centro?

Thanks,
Scott

paulc

Reaction score
got skunked at san jacinto today.. any ideas tomorow afternoon for dove..
thanks paul

Eric Mayer

Reaction score
We were right off English, but since I don't know the area I couldn't tell you anything more than that.  Everyone said the property across from us was public land, planted by DFG.  I'm sure the shooting you heard was from that area, it was like a gauntlet for every bird.  We were lucky to be on private land and I have permission until the 15th, but I probably won't make the drive all the way down there again this season except for duck (my buddy belongs to a club there).

Eric

GOBBLEMASTER

Reaction score
Thanks Eric.  That's what we figured when we drove by and saw the hundred or so vehicles.  Did it seem that the birds were coming from the citrus?  Where there any large groups? I'm wondering if it is worth driving down there again in the morning.

Paul...Two friends just reported that they bagged a few birds(9) off of 138 along the canals outside of palmdale.  Not sure exact location though.  Never been out that way.

I tried my buddy's cell for the Big Bear report but no answer.

Don't know what to do tomorrow :(

Scott

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Here's Scott's (Gobblemaster) pic from Niland. Nice job Scott, Paul and Eric on the birds. How hot was it in Niland?

Eric Mayer

Reaction score
I don't know if it would be worthwhile heading out again, considering at least half of the guys there were camping and all set to spend tonight there as well.  So, if you did head down, the areas are going to be croweded again.

The dove were coming from everywhere, the shooters were pushing them around though so did try to make it to the orchard.

Sorry I don't have more info for you.

Eric

GOBBLEMASTER

Reaction score
Went out towards Taft this morning.  We hunted the east side of the carizo plain and south of lost hills.  Fair amount of birds, but we had to jump 'em.  Only scratched off five today.  My buddy put three more in the bag.  Nothing really flying all day just holding in the safflower fields.

Scott

Z-man

Reaction score
I hunted accross from one of the fields in Jim Mathews report in WON.  I parked at Noffsinger and Burke area.  The opener was wild.  Not to many hunters and plenty of spacing. I got my limit by 6:45-7:00.  Ended up with 2 whitewing 8 morning. If I had been more patient I could have had a limit of whitewing.  Out of 5 in my party we had 3 limits and 2 with 9 birds.  About 16 whitewing.  All finished by 9:00am.  The second was a completely different story.  Absolutely night and day!  We had to walk fields and brush to flush the birds.  Only managed 5 birds(4morning1white).  Must have been the change in weather.  Didn't see or hear anyone else doing much better.  Hope all had a good time no matter how the days went.

Marty

Reaction score
Just rolling in from Niland, also.  We started the morning in SanDiego at the DFG hunt.  The field was nice, but the birds were scarce.  We went out to Niland for the afternoon.  Again, the birds were scarce and flying in all directions.  There was still a show at the English Rd. gauntlet.  Toward the evening, we found that the dove were laying low in the cut fields.  Also, at sunset, there was no big move to roost.
We would have been better off driving to AZ.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom