Dove Report

grizz

Reaction score
Weren't hardly any!  Worst year I've seen in a long time around here, a little south of Marysville.  Four of us baged eight.  
  The morning flight (if you could call it that) lasted about 30 mins.  Not much shooting to be heard.  Went home with five, took a nap.  Then went back to the old stand by spot @ 4:00 and we managed three more til sunset.  Very little shooting heard this afternoon.
 I don't know where the birds went, this is usally a relieable spot.  Hasn't been cold.
 Might try a refuge or wa tomorrow

grizz

Reaction score
  Three of us went to the bear river (S.of Wheatland) this morning. Put five more in the bag, and was home @9:00  There were a few more birds then where we went yesterday but still way slow.
  Lets hear from you N.state dove hunters. Someone had to be where the doves are.  Or are they all in So.cal?  

DanV

Reaction score
The boy and I did even worse. Had to work in the morning so we went to Bear creek off of Hwy. 16. from 5;00 on. My son took 2 shots at one bird- natta and my gun went unfired. Went salmon fishing today since we could not find any birds. Damn dove must have run off with the salmon. At Verona saw 1 fish caught out of 40 boats.

Whoadog

Reaction score
I hunted private property in Brooks, Capay Valley, where it is usually red hot and two of us only killed three birds.  I went to a sunflower field for the evening shoot just outside of woodland and it was loaded.  I finished off my daily limit there quickly.  This morning there was a few birds in the sunflowers but we actually did better at a plowed field where we counted 27 doves on the power line when we pulled up.  It was tough pass shooting and we killed  five between us.  If a guy wanted to stick it out could have probably shoot a limit over time.  That's enough dove for me time to move to Mountain quail.

Brian

Brian

Jay

Reaction score
Put out the bucks for my son and I to shoot the WON Dye Creek dove hunt.

It was terrible. Nobody knew where the birds went and whether it was the recent hot spell or the oppressive smoke from the Weaverville fire that moved them out.

Shot four birds for the two days and that was better than most. Mostly young birds.

Where did they go?

grizz

Reaction score
Went out again this afternoon.  Don't know why, hard headed I guess.  Kids bagged three, me a few  feathers.
Speaking of feathers I seem to get alot of them in the last two days. I've been shooting those Win. Supper Speed.  The ones for $29.00 a case at Wal- Mart  I'am starting to think thier junk!  Anyone eles notice a problem.  I'am sure some of it's my shooting, but none of the birds I droped were dead.  And a good few took hits and kept flyin.

buckhunter

Reaction score
WENT TO HOWARD SLOUGH, IT WAS VERY SLOW OUT OF THE 4 OF US I GOT  2 BIRDS

Soccer Dad

Reaction score
Gray Lodge sounded like a warzone.  The shots were so numerous I thought they had machine guns on the refuge.  I was on private property south of the refuge.  We had it a little slower.  We did get three limits by 9:00AM.

Whoadog

Reaction score
Grizz,
 Yes those loads are terrible, they only have 7/8 oz of shot in 12 gauge.  I shoot the AA that are $4.97 a box and have 1 1/8 oz of shot and you can feel the difference when you shoot.  a little more expensive but what the heck it is only money.

Brian

VHRAM

Reaction score
i went up around bishop,it was the worst ive seen in 18 years.the dove always move out at first cold snapi couldnt believe it 300 guys lined up shooting at same bird.0 birdsi came home 2 days sooner than i had planned

Fubar

Reaction score
VHRAM  Welcome to Jesses Forum. My budy went to Bishop too. He said he was going for a combo trout fishing, dove hunting trip. If the hunting was as bad as you said he should be bringing home some trout.        Fubar

fowl Shooter

Reaction score
Great, I just bought 2 cases of those winchesters in the Yuma Big K-mart. 28.80 a case. All 20ga. Been shooting the AA reloads. I hope the hulls are loadable.

Kentuck

Reaction score
Hutned Sat. afternoon up off of Hwy. 16. Son and I got 8. A lot slower than last year. Only had about an hour of good flying. The filght patterned changed in my area this year. Should have moved a little south of where I usually hunt. A couple of friends and I went back this afternoon. I went just to see how my 6 mos. old lab would do hunting. It was terrible until we moved to where the shooting was on Sat. We only got 8 but we got those in less than half an hour. Wish we had gone there an hour earlier.

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
Our group went 48 for 50 with three getting limits and two each with nine. All in all it was a great morning. The count was about 16-18 white wings and the rest were mournings.

We hunted the fields that were planted by Desert Wildlife Unlimited. We scouted these fields last week and noticed the huge volume of white wings, so we chose this as our spot for opening day.

We were not disappointed as the white wings were in full force. They seemed to show up about 30-45 minutes after the mournings, if our group were more patient, the white wing count would have doubled.

The amount of people hunting around the field was tolerable, you could always handle less, would have been dangerous with more.

Sunday was a completely different story - nada! We scratched out maybe 10 birds between 7 hunters. We hunted the same spot; maybe the nasty weather the afternoon before moved 'em out?

Did anybody hear what happened at Finney-Ramer? I was talking with a DFG person, and they mentioned that a few folks were peppered and had to be taken to the hospital. Folks, when you have to be taken to the hospital, that's not "getting peppered" that referred to as "getting shot".

I've posted some pics at

www.westernoutdoorsreport.com

Drake Slayer

Reaction score
Went to Spenceville at 4:30 am. 40 cars already at main valley.Didn't even get a shot on creek by spenceville sign. I did not want to get in with the masses. Went to Yolo in afternoon had a great shoot out of lot G. Ended up with 6  birds but shot 40 shells to get them.

MQ

Reaction score
Went down towards Paso Robles and had a great time there. I had a limit by 8 and then had the pleasure of watching my 2 boys pound away. My 15 year old shot 8 (using a 12 guage for the first time) and my 11 year old got several, his first blood. My buddy and his 15 year old each finished their limit during the evening shoot. After the shoot we talked with a local that said, "You shoulda seen all the birds here before they moved out last week!"

maodiver

Reaction score
Went out all 3 days this last weekend, south of Esparto on I-505.  The mornings kinda sucked, but whooooo-daddy, the evenings shure made up for that!!  On Sunday eve, for about 45 mins, we killed 9 birds for 2 of us, (yeah, we suck), and on Mon eve, shot another 11 (did I say we suck yet?).  We probably feathered or staggered at least the same number.  It was REALLY hot and heavy for that short time...what a blast!!

Ponscm

Reaction score
Wow!  I must have been one of the lucky few who did really well.  I was fortunate enough to hunt on private property and killed a limit each day.  Now I can go back to concentrating on filling my A zone tag!

mudhen

Reaction score
Passed on the Sat am crowd at Niland - but the pm shoot was solid at one of the DWU fields.  No whitewings in my limit though.  Sunday pm at the same field was very slow - six birds - no whitewings.

Very impressed with DWU's effort.

mudhen-CA

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Great pics Fullsack.

I agree, digging pellets outta your hide is part of being shot.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom