Dove Season 2018

Rodburner

Reaction score
Rodburner, I've read thru the regulations and don't recall any such restriction to shot size except for the largest sizes. 7 and sometimes 6 shot steel are what we use in the ecological reserves and wildlife areas and have had no problems. Of course, I don't remember being checked either. Please direct me to where I can find the regulations on shot size.
Thanks.
sorry I forgot I had a post here. this go's back some years. I first seen it at the Kiosk on Davis road SJWA but I cant find any info now. maybe they have dropped it.

WrstQuailHntr

Reaction score
Anyone else headed to Blythe? Got my (expensive as hell) room booked for Friday and Saturday night. Anyone hear anything about how the birds are looking out there this year?

Limited Out

Reaction score
In general the desert is holding whitewings in numbers compared to 2 years ago. An average number of mournings, and maybe slightly less euros. This is the make up at a couple of my hot spots 55% whitewings, 35% mournings, and 10% euros. There is not as much standing grain planted as last year. The birds vary in numbers from week to week in most spots. If you have scouted and found birds, there could be more or less birds on the opener, but there will be birds there. I always like the special Hunter's Discount on motel rooms on the opener, the pool option makes it worth it during the afternoon lull. Let all help guarantee many more great openers by picking up our empties, trash, and not field cleaning birds. Choot Em'

Last edited:

WrstQuailHntr

Reaction score
In general the desert is holding whitewings in numbers compared to 2 years ago. An average number of mournings, and maybe slightly less euros. This is the make up at a couple of my hot spots 55% whitewings, 35% mournings, and 10% euros. There is not as much standing grain planted as last year. The birds vary in numbers from week to week in most spots. If you have scouted and found birds, there could be more or less birds on the opener, but there will be birds there. I always like the special Hunter's Discount on motel rooms on the opener, the pool option makes it worth it during the afternoon lull. Let all help guarantee many more great openers by picking up our empties, trash, and not field cleaning birds. Choot Em'
thanks for the info, Limited! Glad to hear that. I always get a hotel with a pool since I think the swimming might be my kids’ favorite part of the trip, besides cleaning birds of course!

canamrider07

Reaction score
Back in the early 80's I got a room in Niland with a friend at a really dive motel. When we checked in, the women did not recommend "sleeping" in the bed.....When we got in the room my huge, muddy lab, immediately jumped on a bed and laid down. I said to my friend that's your bed......Just like in the movies, that night we heard a huge fight in some of the rooms that led to a car screeching out of the parking lot. We left early the next morning. The next day while hunting I proceeded to lose my car keys out in a field...............it went down hill from there after that...............

Sarghunter

Reaction score
Oh I can match that with a Hunt out Delano,

My wife then said where ever we stay it has to have a Pool, No Problem,

1st Mistake check Pool for water,, we check in with our 2 families, sure enough there was a Pool with a chair in the DEEP END WITH ABOUT 4 INCHES OF WATER/

i HAD NO idea we were going to have entertainment just so happens we had 2 rooms the rest of the rooms were rented out to the Mongols Motor cycle Club

My partners room still had Bed tie down straps on the head board posts

Just ANOTHER Opening Day DOVE Hunting trip

HunterAndy

Reaction score
Wow I had been going to Yuma and Blythe for the last 15 years to hunt dove most of which was in Yuma. We would hunt a reservation and do amazingly. 3 years ago the "best" dove hunting place in the southwestern United states fell off the face of the planet and had barely any birds. We started going to a place north of Bakersfield and I got a surprise to see how many birds there are in this area. Wont be going back to Yuma for a long long long time. At least until this spot burns out and/or Yuma goes back to what it originally was many years ago...

Limited Out

Reaction score
I have been trying to figure this out for a long while. One week you hit one of your "Hot Spots" and it's loaded with birds, go back a week later and little to nothing. Nothing has changed, food source is still the same, water is in the same place, roost trees where they were the last time you were there. I don't put much into the thunderstorm theory as I have had some great shoots when thunder cells and rain have been less than a half mile away. Mostly I am referring to week in and week out bird numbers in one area. One of the things I have been seeing is varying times of day when the birds arrive at a certain location. Most people, myself included, think the best times of day are at sunup and sundown and when there are no birds around at those times of day the spot is considered dead. Over the last 6 months have been having some of the best dove shoots ever from 2:30 to 4:30 in the afternoon, this is at spots I had pretty much had given up on because of the lack of early morning and late afternoon birds. So go figure, any ideas, I have used up most of mine!

perdizgunner

Reaction score
Last year, we did fine in Yuma on the opening morning, a bad storm rolled through around 1pm and we didn't hunt the afternoon. The next morning, there were no dove whatsoever. I would attribute it to the storm.

dblsmk

Reaction score
I have been trying to figure this out for a long while. One week you hit one of your "Hot Spots" and it's loaded with birds, go back a week later and little to nothing. Nothing has changed, food source is still the same, water is in the same place, roost trees where they were the last time you were there. I don't put much into the thunderstorm theory as I have had some great shoots when thunder cells and rain have been less than a half mile away. Mostly I am referring to week in and week out bird numbers in one area. One of the things I have been seeing is varying times of day when the birds arrive at a certain location. Most people, myself included, think the best times of day are at sunup and sundown and when there are no birds around at those times of day the spot is considered dead. Over the last 6 months have been having some of the best dove shoots ever from 2:30 to 4:30 in the afternoon, this is at spots I had pretty much had given up on because of the lack of early morning and late afternoon birds. So go figure, any ideas, I have used up most of mine!
I'm going back to the mid seventies on this,,,,We had camped out at the edge of a field and had a great shoot between Blythe and Palo Verde. That night was a Temperature drop and a pretty nasty wind blow thru. Next morning, no birds, I'm not talking fewer, I mean none. A DFG field bio guy came by with a warden I'd met the day before and we talked on bird movement. In short, (a lot of years ago), he said changes in food, water, roost cover, weather and heavy pressure can really cause a change in flight patterns, or their movement on south.
Once or twice over the years I've lathered on the grease on the shot gun and hunted dove in conditions that would make a duck happy, but, I've seen the Morning and especially Whitewing become real scarce due to a weather change, even a slight one.
I don't factor Euros into this because they seem to be a home guard bird and the population only seems to grow unless thinned. Do Euros even migrate like the other dove?

Limited Out

Reaction score
Maybe it has to rain, this could be the deciding factor. I am trying to remember some passed openers when it rained. I think about 8-10 yrs ago in Brawley it rained super heavy with lighting overnight and there were birds around the next day. I don't remember us leaving and thinking this was a poor opener. The only thing that really sticks in my mind was last year when I picked a spot that was just low on birds, with about 10 friends coming to hunt there. Poor scouting on my part. I think the Euros stay in about a 5 mile radius of where they hatched and move from feed source to feed source. Always a bit of Luck involved!

quaildeath

Reaction score
Got to pay attention to the storms arrival. If there are tons of birds everywhere, it takes a little bit to push them out ....like more than 24 hrs. If it has been monsoon conditions on an off for a few days before you hit the spot, it will be affected.

If you are in the birds big and a storm arrives you got a little more time to hunt. If it just blows through, even though gnarly and monsoonal, in my experience there is not much to worry about.

Sarghunter

Reaction score
Yes

Will be rolling in on the 30th to scout, last year our group was 25 when all said and Done

Top Bottom