Dove Season 2018

Limited Out

Reaction score
I just got back the data for my top picks for a steel upland replacement load from the Precision Reloading's Ballistics lab. When reloading steel every load is a compromise between knockdown power and pattern density. The only way around this is to use exotic non-toxic metal shot, as stated by dabob. A lot of this exotic non-toxic shot run way north of $50 a pound, one pound of shot loads sixteen rounds. Fifty dollars for 16 rounds, not counting the other components that make up the load is a bit to pricey for me. The TSS (tungsten super shot) is between $70 and $80 a pound. The only way I would consider using this TSS for anything would be in a duplex load where 25% would be #8-9 TSS and 75% would be #3-4 Steel. Back to the steel upland loads, here is what I'll be shooting 1 1/8 oz. #6 RSI Steel at 1464 fps for closer ranges. Longer ranges I'll be using 1 1/16 oz #6 BPI Steel at 1525 fps. These are what patterns best in my Super Sports and chokes at 40 yards. This is the results of 80 load tests. These may not be ideal for your gun, but I believe this to be a good starting point. The first load was developed by a friend and myself that has been tested at Precision's lab for pressure and velocity. If anyone wants the exact recipe and load specs I will be glad to pass the info along. That's it until something better comes along.

Last edited:

NewmanCA

Reaction score
We had an amazing shoot. The 1st day was a war zone. Planting safflower at my place for next year if it works.

Limited Out

Reaction score
Last week of all Dove species being open, anyone going? Last chance to use up the lead on Mournings and Whitewings, 6 more months for lead Euro blasting. Trying to get two hunts in before the closer on the 24th, one fore sure next Monday or Tuesday. Loading up some ammo today and finishing off a bag of 7 1/2 lead, purchasing one more 25lb bag and that will be my last lead shot. Cleaning up some odds and ends lead #6, 8, 9s, then it's all about steel from here on out! Choot Em'

Top Bottom