Dove

buckhunter

Reaction score
Anyone know of any public land that I could go get some shots at some dove. I was thinking about oraville but it was so packed the last time I went there that I almost got shot.thanks

Ponscm

Reaction score
Where abouts do you live?  How far do you want to travel?

TealMan

Reaction score
Yeah, I was wondering about public areas for dove as well (preferably near the grasslands).  I've heard of some, but don't know where they are, or anything about them.  

Ponscm

Reaction score
Buckhunter and Teal Man...I tried to dig up some info for you but I am in the process of moving and can't find my notes.  I gathered up a mess of information on local public land through various publications the DFG has put out.  Unfortunatly, I really haven't had time to check them out so first hand experience from me is not available.  However, I would advise you to check back issues of Wingbeat news, or call the DFG office and get a list of the class C wildlife areas.  There is no charge to hunt these areas, but like anything else, you will have to scout them out and fight the crowds if you find a good spot.  Oroville WA, Fremont Weir, Yolo Bypass are all possibilities.  Actually, I think there is a long list here on Jesse's Hunting Page.  The only problem is finding the maps for some of the areas.  Hope this helps, sorry I couldn't provide you with more definitive info.

Mike

Kentuck

Reaction score
Try Spenceville Wildlife area. they actually plant food plots for them there. Gets a lot of pressure.

buckhunter

Reaction score
has anyone hunted howard slough for doves? If you have can you give me some direction on where to go?  thanks:BF

E A Hunt

Reaction score
It usually is hit or miss. Last year was hit even in the rain. Anywhere is good just get away from the nearest guy if you can.
I'll be there Friday nite, look me up. White Ford truck pulling an 18 foot trailer parked next to a BIG White Ford four door truck with a pop up camper on it.

E A Hunt

Reaction score
Dang.how many guys you plan on bringin ?????

Just kiddin

No quota. I should be a bit crowded though with the opener on a sat.
More than likely you won't even see a warden till around nine or ten. Last year there wasn't even a DFG worker out there. the warden showed up late morning and checked birds and such. You plan on stayin all weekend ?

E A Hunt

Reaction score
Lookin foward to it !
I'll be there with bells on.

Should be easy to find me. It will be my daughters first dove hunt so just look for the 13 year old burning through shells.
I pick up her spankin new BPS 20 gauge micro hunter youth two days before so not much time to warm up for her.

She'll probably out shoot us all. I hope

Drake Slayer

Reaction score
Anybody know the mosquito situation there. Probably pretty bad. I am going to go there or Spanceville friday night and stay over. Maybe I should put the popup on the truck a month early this year don't want to get eaten up.

Wild Turk

Reaction score
Howard slough is a great spot.  I think, like the replies above, that it will be a mad house.  Last year I hunted it in the rain and limited easily.  This year we will see.  Just make sure you get as far away from other hunters as you can.  When the birds come in low it can be dangerous.  I am probably headed there too.  Good luck.

E A Hunt

Reaction score
Skeeeto hell !!!!!!!! drink a pint of OFF every day before the opener and you'll be fine.

I agree. It will be a zoo as will any public place on a Sat. opener.

Might want to think about wearing shooting glasses.

bubba

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
My aunt has a Ranch in Lodi.  I am thinking about doing some work to attract more dove there.  Where can I get some info on what, how and such to get this done.  Any suggestions?

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
be very careful about baiting . . .

A recent August, 2000 notice from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service titled "Dove Hunting and Baiting," states that although it's against the law to spread harvested grain- over a field to attract doves, it's not against the law to grow the grain and then chop it to spread the grown seed, nor is it against the law to hunt over the chopped fields. Attempting to hunt waterfowl on these manipulated fields, though, is strictly against the law.

Here is another informative link concerning baiting
http://www.calwaterfowl.org/Currentevents2.htm

Really good foodplot info:
http://www.wildlifeseeds.com/foodplots/dove/

Thonzberry

Reaction score
FullSack is right, be very careful. A friend of mine, his uncle has a ranch in Viesalia(spelling not sure)  and he has the DFG come out check his fields to see if they are cut properly, so he doesn't get in trouble for baiting. Good Luck

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Think sunflowers.  

A big patch of sunflowers.  

But like the other guys said, be careful when you knock them over....  the official line on hunting over planted foods is that it's supposed to be a "normal agricultural practice".  Define that as you will... ask any Maryland farmer.  heh hehh

Top Bottom