Dove's in Ventura

fpscabs

Reaction score
Since we will be camping at Ventura Beach RV resort (101 on the North side of town)again over Labor Day Weekend, does anyone have a suggestion as to where I might go get some dove action on the 1st?   I can drive North, South, East or West.

Bill W

Reaction score
I've lived and hunted in and around Ventura for 25 years and can tell you the Dove hunting can be pretty spotty.  The hills/orchards to the east of town can hold good numbers depending in the year, but it's all private.  

Your closest spot where you might run into decent numbers of birds would be out towards New Cuyama.  That's north on hwy 33 just short of hwy 166.  Lots of public land out there.  Canyons that will produce on occassion are Apache and Quatal.  You really need to scout the water sources to do any good though.  I'd try Apache.  There are  pretty reliable springs that run down the main channel of the usually dry wash.  You'll find water in spots beginning about 5 miles up the canyon. If the dove are in the area you'll find them flying up and down teh canyon along teh water course.

A better area (but a bit farther) is out by taft/maricopa.  That's where I go.

Bill

Top Bottom