Doves seem early this year

DoubleGun

Reaction score
I guess I havent paid much attention in past years but the doves have been comming in here for the last 30 days. Seems like in years past they didnt come in untill late may. When do they come in where you live?

QALHNTR

Reaction score
<font face="Tahoma">There are around 150 doves that have taken up residence in the fields above my home.  I can usually spook them up near a few water drips on my hikes.  Unfortunately, they like to roost on my neighbor's roof.  They fly right over my backyard.  My wife says they're taunting me!</font>

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
QALHNTR

I sympathize. I have a few pairs that roost on the power lines behind my house. Yesterday when I got home from work there was a female picking up twigs in my front yard. When I went outside this morning there were a bunch of twigs on my front porch. It looked like she was trying to build a nest under my front porch. I think I'm going to build some nest cones and place them in the tress in my yard.

ranchwife

Reaction score
How do you build nest cones?  What are they made of?  That would be neat to put up around our house.  We have a pair of birds that are at our feeder everyday.

wildbirdhunter

Reaction score
I was out in Imperial Valley the weekend before last and the dove are already stating to show up in larger numbers out there. I have already stated to see young ones coming to my dove feeder in my back yard and seeing them on the side or the road as I get off the freeway going home.
Ranchwife;
As for nest cones or baskets it’s just some wire meshing cut and rolled into a cone that is about 4” to 5” wide on the top then cute folded over on the bottem so it’s about 4” deep to make a basket. Most Doves only have two or maybe three young at a time but will net up to three or four times in a good season. I had a neighbor that had them nest in the hanging plants on his upstairs balcony all the time.  WBH

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
To expand on WBH post

Doves tend to build poorly constructed nests. To build a nest cone take a piece of wire mesh cut into a circle about 10" in diameter, cut out a pie-shaped piece, about an 1/8 th of pie, close the gap you created by forming the mesh into a cone. Place the cone in the crook of a tree. These directions are from memory, I'll see if i can dig them up when I get home.

Here's a link wit how to build themDove nest cones

ANother link from the DFG
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wingbeat/wb1.html

(Edited by karstic at 3:41 pm on May 2, 2002)

(Edited by karstic at 3:55 pm on May 2, 2002)

Mojave

Reaction score
I appreciate the posts on the nest cones, as we have doves nesting out on our "wild" property, and trying to, here near our homesite. Problem for the doves is, with all the bird-feeding we do, both places are alive with ground squirrels, and the doves nest right on the ground. I'll put up cones on both sites, and let nature take it's course in the boonies. But here by the house, we're sighting in the air rifle at "squirrel range".

wildbirdhunter

Reaction score
Good thinking on the air rifle for the squirrels. I have also read some place that if you mix in ground up hot peppers or the ground up pepper seeds to you bird feeder this will help cut down on the squirrels. I don’t know if it works or not but most wild bird feed has some pepper seed in it so it will not harm the bird but I guess the squirrel must have the same problem as we do not all of us can stand really hot foods. WBH

foulshot

Reaction score
DoubleGun, is there a lot of dove hunting in Co.  I'm looking to relocate sooner or later, and it would be nice to know about some spots to go after the winged rockets.

DoubleGun

Reaction score
Foulshot, Dont come to Colorado just for the doves. You might be unhappy. I hunt on the Co Wyo line and do ok but I  dont tnink Co is known for its dove hunting. If you could get in tight with some of the farmers and land owners I think you could do alright, but hunters and land owners out here arnt real close anymore. We have alot of public land but alot of hunters. Duck, geese and most other bird hunting is great out here,and you already know about the Elk. I went for a cow tag this year and if I get that I can also pick up an over the counter bull tag to go with it. Turkey has been ok the last few years This spring has been great. Sorry about the long answer but ya got me started. Hope this helps.
Jess

foulshot

Reaction score
DG, not coming for the doves, it would just be a bonus.  Moving cause I'm getting tired of the Kalifornia Krap.  I know what you mean about the waterfowl, I've got more pictures than my wife likes of ducks and honkers from my last trip back.  I might try to make it out for muzzleloader Elk this year.  Hope to out there permanently soon.:)

Latest Posts

Top Bottom