Down by the bay....

Jay

Reaction score
Went out this morning and scrubbed down my duck blind on the salt pond. Seems a pair of marshhawks used it for a nest and squirted birdchit all over it. It took two hours with a wire brush and buckets of corrosive brine to finally get down to the wood again. That brine will dissolve paint!

Saw about a dozen flights of ducks. Looked like spoonsters, pinsters and wedgies.

Filled 15 feet of my 17 foot canoe with brush up material and paddled out to the blind. What a sight.... it was piled 5 feet high and the slight wind grabbed at the palm branches so that is was impossible to paddle in a staight line. I must have done four or five complete spins on the way out. I finally had to paddle backwards to make any headway.

I stacked all the stuff in the blind. Next week I'll have to out and weave it into the old stuff.

E A Hunt

Reaction score
No more salt production from that pond so the water should be a bit cleaner this year.

That might be a bit more forgiving on your Mosberg. That place can be hell on a gun. Take five cans of oil for the season and just leave them there.

Make up a jerk cord, you'll need it that pond looks like glass in the AM.

BigDog

Reaction score
hey E.A,, when you gonna come pick up this bird dog. I still have the feisty little female. And no, I don't want to trade for the boat......lol

E A Hunt

Reaction score
Thanks for saving her for me Id love to have her but I'm pretty close to over-shooting my budget for this season.
Spent a lot on my daughter. New BPS 20 gauge,waders,jacket, two case's of shells and ressies.  Man, I forgot how much it cost to get started.

If she gets too rowdy and you have to get a quick sell before she eats the garden hose's and everything else in sight stick her on a bus headed north.

Seriously though. E-mail me with details of what she would cost me. I'm still looking for a pup.

Jay

Reaction score
I was out there again this morning before work, brushing up. The birds had been visiting again, found a nice pile of crap from some bird that had obviously indulged in a meal of small red crabs.

Anyway, there was a low fog this morning. Walking down the levee I pushed a couple dozen ducks off the pond. There were also several other groups of ducks that I would consider decoyable.

Watched a nice fat mallard circle the "BigDog" blind at about 30 yards.

It's starting to look interesting.

Swampy

Reaction score
  Jay, do you see many coots down by the bay? Are they resident coots that nest in the area or do they just pass through? I heard that they only migrate at night and the highest coot ever recorded was 20,000 feet high. Sucked into a jet engine. Ouch. Keep us updated.

Jay

Reaction score
No coots. If I saw one I'd cream it. I don't think they like salt water. I've only seen them in fresh and brackish water.

jerry d

Reaction score
Hey Jay,

Once you get that puppy brushed up would it be possible to take a ride across the bridge and get a "birds eye view" of what the birds will see or is it to far away from the bridge to see.

I've always wished I could see what my setup looked like from above but then again, maybe I shouldn't see it from that angle - might scare me!!!

Just a thought.

Swampy

Reaction score
"Down by the bay, where the watermellons grow, .......

Jay

Reaction score
Naw, it's on the Hayward side of the San Mateo bridge which is just about ground level so you can't get the old bird's eye view.

Hey Swampy are you trying to start up the "melon" thread again?

Swampy

Reaction score
Naw............. It's one of my youngest sons favorite book/song. Future duck hunter. Greenwing member. He calls them Gweeneads.  

Easy E.A.  I know he takes after me.    

mudroller

Reaction score
i have a radio controlled airplane with a camera in the belly.......

E A Hunt

Reaction score
Your tellin me it's a long drive !!!!!

29247.3 miles  on my truck I bought 13 monthes ago. I'll be glad when I'm outta da bay for good.
Gotta give that truck a break

Jay

Reaction score
Saw well over a 100 wedgies and gads on the salt pond this morning. Took the boys. They played in the mud while I brushed up the blind.

That bay mud is terrible, all three boys rode home in their underwear. The whole way home I was wondering what I would tell a cop if I got pulled over.

CootCreamer

Reaction score
Ah yes! Nothing like a good "wedgie" is there?

You say you had a thousand "wedgies"? You must walk funny now. Har... har.... har.... snort..... snort.

See any coots?

Greenhead

Reaction score
Fished the Delta today, Coot Creamer, and saw several coots. So, they're starting to arrive. When the season finally arrives, break out a triple bird strap and have a ball.

Swampy

Reaction score
 A man just has to be able to laugh at himself. Way to go Jay! Just remember, today is tomorrows  yesterday. "Wedgies", har har,  snort snort. Stop it your killing me.

Hay E.A., did ya hooc up wif Wedgy Wacer 4 1 uf them bambys? Eye necks in line! Reddin Ruls!!!!!!!

E A Hunt

Reaction score
Soon as he invites me I'm there. maybe he's still bitter about you guy's giving him such a hard time.
I know he can't be bitter towards me. I got nothing but love man.

Wedgie buster where are you ? Bow ? Rifle ? Where ? When ? Common Buster

Why can't we be friends................ Why can't we be friends. Come on everybody sing along.

Jay

Reaction score
Good cop / bad cop.

Try his "whazzup" email.

(Edited by Jay at 9:06 pm on Sep. 18, 2001)

Top Bottom