Down to the last couple weekends

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
well it is down to this weekend and next to fill our D11, 13 and 15 tags.
For me I blew it, just not in the shape i need to be to hunt with Bubble, so I decided to get my Bud Joe out and get back to some Base camp Hunting in D11 next weekend. This weekend ? well here I set at work texting you all, Not a bad deal time and 1/2 for 10 hours. Sunday got to get the Autoride on my Yukon figured out so I guess I'll sleep in have a really fine Breakfast and start chasing fuses to start.
For clousing next weekend have a nice area picked out for he base camp, which is on the high side of an escape route I know of. Plan let the rifle guys run the deer around to me, all will be close quarters 30 yards or less, it is not my doe bowl but it supports some younger bucks. would be nice to pin my D11 to a fork and horn and still have my A31 for my Doe bowl. Basically Kick back enjoy the compamy and Hunt easy. I really miss Base camping, the friends, the comrodery, and Yes A camp fire !
What is your clousing weekend statigy ?

Last edited:

TheGDog

Reaction score
Sigh... so yesterday...as I'm driving in.. it's about 4:30am. The last part of the road that's still private property before getting to public land... sh*t you not... I end up having to slow-down and stop... to let 4 Does decide to get off the road and cross to the other side. So you know, I'm gettin' all excited and thinking this is a Good Omen, a Good Sign. I drive a stone's throw in past the gate to the public land... A 2x2 Jumps across the road in a couple bounds! Was totally jazzed by this and it raised my spirits in terms of being hopeful of a positive outcome.

I hoof it up the trail and get to my spot nice and early. Freezing my bleepin behind off though. Apparently a thinner camo shirt, a thick material button-down camo shirt from same manufacturer... coupled with my thinnish early season jacket AND... the silk long underwear wasn't enough for what was *supposedly* supposed to be a 50 F low for that day. Was freezing and shivering until the sun finally came out. (It was supposed to go up to 86 F that day, which is why I didn't want to take too much gear with me. And I'm sure it was hotter than that where I was.)

Maybe around 10a... I'm starting to cook. So I remove the layers. Still feel too warm... oopsie... remembered the under layer and switched that out.

Only thing I saw out there? Around maybe 9 or 10 another hunter quietly approached from the south... saw I was there and setup.. and respectfully raised up a hand to signal his presence as he backed up and turned to go elsewhere. I acknowledged him with a wave as well.

I was trying out my Kill-Suit Mesh-Strip Ghillie Suit out there. I've warn it in more Desert-y places, so I knew it breathes well and let's lots of air flow thru it. After Noon and having some food, hung out til maybe 2p needing to hop over to some other shadows a couple times.

Then since I had the Ghillie Suit with me I tried another area I sometimes goto in the PM, but this time setup within it at a different location within that area, more in the grasses since that suit would blend in amazing in gold/yellow grasses. And the wind seemed to be cooperating with this choice. I forced myself to remain there until 6:26p... and Nothing.

Meh... at least on the hike out in the dark it was kinda cute. There are these birds I've been seeing while driving out of there at night. They like to lie on the asphalt flat-down on their bellies. And they take-off at the last possible minute as you approach. Well... got to see like 3 of them really really up close and personal on the way out. Pretty sure it's some small kind of Owl. Has these large pupils, with retinas that shine Reddish-Orange. It was bizarre... he'd stay there on the trail hunkered down flat on his bellie like they do. I come down the trail and get to literally right up on him... I'm like tap-tap-tapping on the ground between us with my trekking pole softly saying "Go on! Move little Fella!" And each time it took several times of me being persistent and tapping closer and closer to him before he'd decided to take-off.

Thing of it is... each time he'd take off... I'd end up running into him again like 20-30 yds down the trail, Hehe. At first I was thinking "Pssh... ya numb nuts!" ... but then later on down the trail, as I'm thinking about it.... a thought occurs to me... and I think to myself... "Oh... ya know what? I wonder if he wasn't actually trying to make use of me coming down the trail like that! I'll bet he was trying to be on the lookout for insects or small rodents that might flush with me pushing into his direction like that!" It's interesting what a different perspective can show ya sometimes.

Last edited:

OC/LA Hunter

Reaction score
Last Sunday afternoon I found my high spot on top of draws with water and feed. The reward was seeing 2 spikes and a doe, so I had to try again today. The good news was no other hunters, bad new was the deer have moved on. So Opah posses a good question, where to finish up the d11 season?

dthome

Reaction score
Gdog,
That bird you saw may have been a nighthawk or Mexican whip-poor-will. Look them up and let us know.

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
NightHawk

Mexican whip poor wil

They look the same to this uneducated eye ? Dont see the owl look at all

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
Well you guys got out and gave it a go, I ll be out all next weekend Friday to Sunday.
This weekend was a bust, 10 works at work saturday and Saturday evening and all day Sunday
Preping to lay Hardwood flooring in my Game room, Forgot how damn heavty my pool table was.
Took me 3 hours to move it 4 feet to the corner of the room, Too much honey do work lately.
Going out and set up a nice camp, relax and let the Hunting Flusher drive the deer to Joe and I, this
Area has Bigger Doe and Bucks they are just spread out over a very large area, a good area for a 300
plus yard shooter or a Ravine Hunter, Flat and far with several wide and long ravines.
ME I'll be comfortable in a cush chair, Hot coffee with my bow, 30 yards shots, I be at the top of the Circle
escape route. I learned it from last year when they lead me around and around and around, never to far to
be out of sight but never close enough to take a shot. This time i hope to have the advantage.

ChrisAMX

Reaction score
Haven't seen a single deer this season. Woke up this morning and it was 63 degrees and I live at 5,000 ft. Been pretty warm, no rain, no snow. Last yer I only saw two deer. Prior years I would see deer most of the time I went out.

TheGDog

Reaction score
Nighthawk! OK! Learn something new everyday! Nice!

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
I have seen Doe and Doe and Doe, just not close enough for a shot.
This weekend is going to be my week end for my D11 Buck

Bubblehide

Banned
Reaction score
You poor bastards, I'm in camp now, just finished lunch. Passed on a small buck this morning, all alone, pushed out by those larger rutting models. I'll be heading back out soon, in hopes of one of those more mature models.

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
Very cool Baco, very cool, some pics would be good if you would

TheGDog

Reaction score
Aaaaand... I threw my lower back out y'day. Lovely.

Sacro-Iliac junction. For me the long sit times of my job and also this hunting thing together with the pad on the pack resting right on that area above it (sight of a heinous trauma injury in '95) makes this something I always gotta be careful to avoid. It happens when I hyper-extend my back bending downward such as putting on shoes while still seated in a chair.

My goal is to go back out this next weekend again. I was quick to call in for some Robaxin, having learned from prior experiences. Then frozen gel packs off and on thru out the day.

It'll definitely be just a single day hunt though if at all. I ain't goin' out like this! Bump That! I *need* this kill for my sanity!

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
you take care of that back Gdog, there is always a hunt in the future.

Bubblehide

Banned
Reaction score
Aaaaand... I threw my lower back out y'day. Lovely.

Sacro-Iliac junction. For me the long sit times of my job and also this hunting thing together with the pad on the pack resting right on that area above it (sight of a heinous trauma injury in '95) makes this something I always gotta be careful to avoid. It happens when I hyper-extend my back bending downward such as putting on shoes while still seated in a chair.

My goal is to go back out this next weekend again. I was quick to call in for some Robaxin, having learned from prior experiences. Then frozen gel packs off and on thru out the day.

It'll definitely be just a single day hunt though if at all. I ain't goin' out like this! Bump That! I *need* this kill for my sanity!
Take care Gary

Bubblehide

Banned
Reaction score
still in the sierras Bubble?
No, I had family unexpectedly come in to town from out of country, so I cut my Sierra hunt a little short. I've been in Frazier; past another small buck this morning, twice. Back to work for me tomorrow. I'll hit it again this coming weekend.

Best of luck to everyone!

TheGDog

Reaction score
Take care Gary
The goal is to hit it again this weekend. We'll see. Figured I'll probably just do a single day hunt so as to not risk exacerbating it too badly.

If it is still too sore then I'll change the mission to either try to snipe Rabbits, or maybe goto my Desert Hills spot and see what I can call-in Predator-wise. And that place is always good for some Ground-Squirrel sniping. (Occasional I spook a Deer out there too) Plus they have some Quail there too, and I have a Benelli Pump I picked-up used this year that I haven't even shot yet. And an Upland stamp is only $9.72. So I dunno, if I have to scrub the deer mission I might even take several firearms out to the Desert Hills place with the boy and have some Father-Son Quality-Time. Maybe buy a box of clays and throw 'em for him.

At the last Youth Safari Day they had at Rahaagues Shooting Range down in Riverside, Turners had a booth setup where the kids got to try shooting a Shotgun at thrown clays and Son of a Blip if he didn't hit a clay his very first time shooting a shotgun! (20 gauge). I was beside myself I was soo jazzed about that! The Boys definitely got them Genes, Yessir! :)

Last edited:

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
OK, Hose the Mule Down, some window cleaner, Hook up the Trailer and I'm set

Last edited:

Top Bottom