DPDT Switch???

slickhead

Reaction score
How do you "wire in" a DPDT switch? I'm using an Owl PF, 12v camcorder battery, MS20, LED test light, and a 12v reed relay. Does anyone know if there is a previous message on this and how to pull it out. Maybe a schematic. This is my first gametrail camera and I don't want to mess it up. Your help will be much appreciated!

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 Im not sure but if you go to "how to modify the RS49-425" scroll down to the picture and it will show how to wire the switch,i think its the same for both sensors,but im not sure.

h2obobh2o

Reaction score
The switch wiring should be the same for either sensor, all the dpdt switch does is select between the LED walk/test light and the "camera" mode when you are ready to leave the woods and set the camera out. Check out the how to modify the rs-49-425, and that should help you.

Go Pens

Reaction score
I previously posted the same question. I was finally helped and I finished my cam last night using the same general parts you listed.  By following the schematic you can use 1 switch to control 1. The battery source off (center) 2. The LED on/cam off 3. The cam on/LED off. Hope this helps I had a hard time with this portion myself.Good Luck

slickhead

Reaction score
Thanks to all. I had not looked at the modification for the the 49-425, I wasn't using it so I never went there. I'll check it out. Thanks Go Pens, looks like this is exactly what I was looking for.

slickhead

Reaction score
Hey, Go Pens, Please let me know (or this message board) how your camera config. works out. I'm eager to know, since our setups are so similar. Thanks

Blacktail

Reaction score
I know this an old topic but can somebody help me with this.  When you switch the switch down it is in camera mode but there is 5 volts on the other side of the switch coming from the PIR.  My question is, is this voltage going to hurt the camera?  I thought all you wanted to do was short the two wires with no voltage?  I plan on wiring this way I just wanted to make sure that the voltage would not hurt the camera.  Thanks

davered1

Reaction score
Blacktail,

There shouldn't be any power going through relay if hooked up right.The power goes into the relay through coil and only closes a normally open relay(completes camera circuit).

Double check your connections and see if it is hooked up right.

Blacktail

Reaction score
Thanks Davered1 if I am reading that schematic right isn't there voltage on pin #14 when the PIR is tripped if the switch was in the down position.  That voltage would also go through the NO contacts. (the two wires on pin #5) Maybe I am just looking at the schematic wrong.  Thanks

markr

Reaction score
I had no idea this is the way to wire the dpdt switch. Why does it show different on jesse's schematic{ the one that is colored}.Maybe thats what my problem has been. I have the RS PIR with a 5volt relay and a 9 volt batt. Should i rewire my setup according this?  

Zeke

Reaction score
I'm using the Radio Shack sensor .I have mine wired by the schematic (the one on the How to modify the RS sensor page) and havent had any problems with it. Z

bmulley

Reaction score
MarkR...the difference between this one and the one you are talking about is a spst switch is wired in the one you are talking about for a battery off (power to the RS PIR).  The one you are talking about for the RS PIR works fine also.

homer

Reaction score
Go Pens                                                                                   If you wire your switch in this manner dos'nt this send power to the shutter contacs? also what contacs are shorted with each position of the switch? I have never wired a camera like this, I always use two seperate switchs one SPST and one DPDT. DPDT for the LED and camera and a SPST for the power, but if I could do it all with one switch I'd like to try it. It just seems like you'd be sending power to the camera.                                          Thanks Homer

bmulley

Reaction score
homer, the wiring in the picture is using one pole for battery power (jumpered for both throws) and the other pole has one throw for camera, the other for led.  the power is isolated from the camera because they are each on separate poles.

bmulley

Reaction score
oh ya, homer, center off dpdt switches will give you your battery off, so I guess you can use this config in place of your spst you use for power.  might not be a bad idea, save a little money.

bmulley

Reaction score
homer, just realized this dpdt only config will not be good with RS PIR because once the power is applied to PIR, it has voltage on pin 2 and speaker for about 60 secs or so for warm-up.  every time you'd go from center-off to camera it would take a pic.  See the related thread about this.  I'm really not sure about other PIR's as I've yet to tinker with them.

Blacktail

Reaction score
Hey bmulley,
I ws curious if pin #14 on this diagram puts out 5 volts any time the PIR is tripped then wont you have 5 volts on your camera shutter contacts.  Maybe I am looking at this wrong.  Since there are two wires on pin #5.  Thanks I am trying to understand this before I wire mine this way.  

bmulley

Reaction score
blacktail, it does appear you're right after closer examination.  I wish I could help you further on your question of wether the 5 volts bothers the camera or not, but I don't have this type of setup...I have the RS PIR.  Sorry if I confused you.

davered1

Reaction score
blacktail,

I would just run seperate switch for power,Then there is no power running thruogh your camera for sure.I don't know if power running through it will hurt it but at $50 a camera versus $3 for a switch I will take the switch.

Blacktail

Reaction score
Thanks everyone.  I think I will put in a seperate switch for the power.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom