drag or grader needed

j3storch

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
That's what we called our thing we used to pull up and down the lane on the farm when I grew up. It was two blades, vertical to the ground, joined by steel frame so that one blade traveled ahead of the other. We towed it with a log chain behind a tractor.

Now I need one or something similar to use on my driveway at my acerage. I tried looking up kingdrag and king drag on the internet---WHOA! YOU DON'T WANT TO GO THERE!!!

I don't know where my dad got this thing. I suspect it was made in a local welding shop. Has anyone ever seen such a thing around, or have any idea where I should look for one. I ain't looking on the internet for one, that much I know.

Thanks in advance

Bond

Reaction score
I don't know if you'll find a King Drag. (never heard of it) but just go to a local tractor dealership. That's where we bought our gravel grader. It works quite well and wasn't too expensive.

We also have an old two person grader. One person drives the tractor, the other rides on the grader and runs the blade. This one actually does the best job. It makes driveways the right way - a mound so the rain runs off the sides into the ditch and doesn't form puddles.

j3storch

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
I've seen the old two person graders, wish I had one. But I suspect they're more money than I can afford.

Describe your gravel grader to me, please.

Our local farm implement places don't carry stuff like this. If a used implement (recieved in trade in) doesn't sell in a couple years, they scrap it. Though I got to admit I haven't check them lately, so they might have something sitting around.

Bond

Reaction score
It attaches to the 3 point hitch. It's almost as wide as a tractor so it'll usually take a few passes on the driveway. It has 2 blades that bring the gravel together and then spikes/cultivaters, I usually just keep those raised up. then 2 more blades in the back to even it out. It's kinda hard to explain but it works quite well. The key is that the blades are on a slant so it lets gravel under where the driveway needs it.

j3storch

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Thanks bond. Sounds like what we had later on (back on the farm). Unfortunately, my tractor does'nt have a three point hitch. Just a drawbar, with real piddly hydraulics that barely lifts the woods mower.

Thansk for the input though.

jeh7mmmag

Reaction score
If you are not trying to cut and fill -just leveling try this
Check with ag dealer and pick about 6 old combine feeder housing chains and make a draw bar to carry 2 or 3 side by side. Then use the chain link to hook 2 chain together. Weld the link to draw bar It will end up being 2 or 3 wide and 2 long. I made one to smooth dirt runway for airplanes and it was a little slow but worked great. You can even pull behind pickup if you want to.
Or drag some Ibeam or pipe around
James

Mailman Bill

Reaction score
You wouldn't be talking about a common "Box Blade" that is used on a three point hitch behind a tractor. They are used to remove larger rocks and level out ground. I have seen them used by landscapers to prepare yards for sod placement and also to smooth out gravel drives . I would think one wouldn't cost much over 2 or 3 hundred new and much cheaper used. Mailman Bill

Top Bottom