Drawn for Canada de los osos youth pig hunt

bighog

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
My son was drawn for the fall 2005 pig hunt at CDLO. It's hosted by DFG and CDA. It sounds like a great experience for my son. Do any JHO members have any info to share about this hunt?

Catahoula Kid

Reaction score
My son was drawn for the last years fall pig hunt as well as the dove hunt 3 weeks ago. This is a beautiful 4000 acre ranch in the east Gilroy hills off of 152. On last years fall pig hunt no pigs were even seen. The spring pig had one pig killed. You might see pigs on the way in in the fields. Henry Coletto is the main guy and he is a semi retired game warden/sheriff from this area. They split you up and drive you around in jeeps. You are assigned a guide and you have your area about 1000 acres to hunt. This ranch has a lot of deep valleys. You might need to hike down thru a couple of these valleys. We primarily road hunted. They will feed you a nice barbecue lunch.
On the dove hunt I watched a monster 3x4 buck for about 15 minutes. The next week was the youth deer hunt and a 12 year old girl got the 3x4. We got Mike as our guide and he grew up on the ranch next door. He knows the area best.
The CDA California Deer Assoc. is a great organization and I will try to go to their banquets in San Jose in March.

bighog

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Thanx Larrysogla and catahoula for your responses. Larry I guess your question was answered by catahoula. If you need more info see the DFG website under CDLO ecological reserve junior hunts.

Catahoula, it sounds as if you know this place well. I was thinking this area must be teeming with hogs considering the location and only a select few junior hunters get to hunt it. Your info that only one or two pigs have been taken really bums me out. I wont say anything to my son, it might make him less excited about it. Hopefully the hogs have moved back into the area. Either way it sounds as if it will be a great experience for both of us. I will tell Mike if we meet him he comes highly recommended. thanx again for the info.

Catahoula Kid

Reaction score
This ranch is bordered by Henry Coe Park to the north and you can see Casa De Fruita on a ridge from the south. When we were there acorns were dropping everywhere so the pigs didnt have to travel. There are a few ponds,maybe hunt above them. There are lots of game on the ranch. I think the Junior Deer Hunt had close to 100% success. Let us know how it went.

bighog

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
I phoned DFG after your response, she said this will be the 3rd junior pig hunt and she estimated about 50% of the kids have gotten hogs, so we will have to see how it goes. I will let you and all JHO know how it goes.

superduty

Reaction score
Good luck you your son. Hog hunting is very exciting.

bighog

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Hunt went great but my son did'nt score, never saw a pig. Nobody did on saturday evening hunt, but the next mornings hunt went really well. We had to cut our's alittle short to make it to my son's pop warner football game, but two youngsters had gotten nice hogs. A sow apx 150lbs and one really happy kid killed a 305lb monster boar with really nice teeth. Two hunting groups were still out when we left so there is a possibility of more.

The people who run the program and guided us are all really great guys. All very knowledgable and friendly. Our guide was Mike and I told him he came highly recommended. He said he had heard of JHO before, probably through you Catahoula.

Saw lots of deer including 4or 5 nice bucks. Lots of Turkey, a bobcat, coyote, ducks , Quail, tarantulas, squirrels, hawks everything but a pig. Overall it was a great experience for both of us. Thanks to you Catahoula for responding to my initial post. All the info you gave me was right on the money. I heard about the dove hunt being so foggy.

All said and done I would recommend these hunts to everyone with a young hunter.

Top Bottom