Drawn for wild turkey hunt at Daughtery Hill Wildlife Area

finley3

Reaction score
I was lucky enough to be drawn for a wild turkey hunt in Daughtery Hill Wildlife. Just north and slightly east of Sacramento. I'm from SoCal and was hoping anyone can give any tips on the area. I've never been out there and will probably have a half day to scout the area prior to hunting the next day. It's a far ways away so I'm trying to make the best out of it.

Thank you in advance.
View attachment DAUGHERTY HILL WILDLIFE AREA.pdf

Fredezee

Reaction score
My cousin was drawn for April 2nd. I'm trying to join him as a non hunter as he was drawn alone. Trying to get the rules for the non hunters tagging along.

finley3

Reaction score
The information they provided only said Non-hunters are allowed if they remain with your party. I wonder if it's as simple as that. My parter who I signed up with may not be able to make it. Too bad it's non transferable.

Getting a public bird in SoCal is pretty much impossible. I'm hoping this will be worth the trip. I'll be sure to bring my fishing gear to get some fishing.

finley3

Reaction score
UPDATE:

I've never been out there before so I decided to head out to give at least one day of scouting to ensure I know where I'm hiking when it's pitch black opening morning. Although I wasn't able to get my first turkey I did not regret taking the time off and making the 8 hour drive up by myself. It was beautiful out there.

Friday I went to scout and area and confirm valleys and trails per the map. There were turkeys almost every valley I checked. I was even able to call in 3 toms while hiding in the bushes. I didnt wan to spook them so I waited until they passed before leaving. I had my location and thought for sure I was going to finally get a turkey. Of course I was the only soul out there that day.

Come opening day, I get out to the parking location to find that I was late. 4-5 cars already parked. However, the spot were I saw turkeys seemed to be empty. I put out my decoys and posted up waiting for sunrise. First sign of light I hear gobbling in the distance. Knowing there are other hunters around I'm never sure if it's an actual turkey or a hunter. Long story short, I heard gobblers but did not see one bird.

Here is a still image I took from my cell phone of the toms I called in. In range too. Day before opening day of course. Other photo was just a shot of one of the trails. Beautiful out there.
Capture.jpg
IMG_1758.jpg

AimHigh

Reaction score
I don't understand why people call in turkeys on non hunt days. Not a good idea.

finley3

Reaction score
I'm still learning. Why is it an issue? I didn't see any sign of toms/jakes so I hit the call to see if I would get a reaction. I did and left it at that.

Top Bottom