Dream Hunt

l0nepine

Reaction score
I got the opportunity to hunt some amazing property in central California this weekend and I could not be more stoked. My friend and I (my first season turkey hunting, his first ever hunt) went out with two other gentlemen who hunt this property regularly to see if we could find some birds. The guys to us that so far the hunting has been hard and the birds have not responded to any calls and have been really henned up, so we were hoping for a change in luck. We got to where we would be staying at around 11am and as soon we shut the doors to we see two birds up the and across a meadow about 500 yards away or so. We all get our gear together and run down a creek where we think these birds will end up and set up. My buddy set up just down from me with one of our hosts and I set up a little farther up the hill. I was to do all the calling and the deal was I get any shot to the left of this trail and he takes any shot to the right. After about 10 minutes of calling we start hearing far off gobbles getting closer, I sit tight doing my best not to screw anything up. After ten more minutes a really close gobble goes off so I put my call down and got ready for a shot, sure enough I see a head bobbing just over the crest of this hill on the trail. As the bird is getting closer im thinking my buddy better take the shot cuz this guy was getting close and he was on his side. Just as i really start considering taking the shot he finally nails him and as he does I look up to my left and see another gobbler forty yards up from where I was sitting so I pull the trigger and drop him.

After the shot I was so excited I didnt even notice that my bird was in a jungle of poison oak so hopefully the poison oak gods spare me. It turns out my tom had been the first to come in and I didnt even see him because he was out of my periphery, my buddy had watched them come in for about the last five minutes and then split. Anyway the whole shibang was over 40 minutes after we pulled up to the gate. We didnt have a scale but my bird was the dominant one and had a 9"+ beard and 1"+ spurs. My buddies was a jake but to be honest I would have been happy with either birds. The experience of hunting with a good friend made it that much better. To both get our first turkeys within about five seconds was pretty crazy.

Sorry for the long story but im PUMPED here are the pics

Attachments

ilovesprig

Reaction score
goes211,

Congrats on a beautiful bird. Turkey hunting does get the heart pumping.............

l0nepine

Reaction score
I was wondering if my bird (on the right) looks more Merriam or Rio, they have both on this property. Also stay tuned to the pig forum for the rest of the story.

ilovesprig

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (goes211 @ Apr 21 2008, 11:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I was wondering if my bird (on the right) looks more Merriam or Rio, they have both on this property. Also stay tuned to the pig forum for the rest of the story.[/b]
It does look a little lighter. IMO there's very little difference in the two birds. I've got a Merriams from New Mexico that looks exactly like any Rio from San Diego. My Montana Merriam though was much lighter. Maybe it depends how far north their shot. Just a quess.

chompot

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (goes211 @ Apr 21 2008, 11:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I was wondering if my bird (on the right) looks more Merriam or Rio, they have both on this property. Also stay tuned to the pig forum for the rest of the story.[/b]
I would assume if they have both on the property that they are some sort of a hybrid. Like Steve said though, I have seen tail feather colors vary from bird to bird within the same sub species so it really is hard to tell.

l0nepine

Reaction score
thanks for the info guys, I was going to post in the pig forum about some pigs we saw but its probably not worth its own post, however this land was incredible, we saw pigs, deer, ducks, and tons of quail. Thanks to any and all for contributing on this forum, i feel pretty fortunate to have been able to but all the advice i have read to practice on such a cool hunt.

Top Bottom