Drew Desert Bighorn in the White Mountains

71fan

I drew a Desert Bighorn this year, and the hunt is two months away! Talk about scrabbling around to prepare for a once-in-a-lifetime...

Everyone always says "I can't believe I finally drew it," and that's what I'm saying. Living and hunting in CA causes one to lose any hope of drawing these special tags. But I had max points, and I studied the odds and the quotas, and of course, someone has to draw so it may as well have been me. Yee-haw!!

I've already spoken with two guides and the biologist and they've convinced my that a DIY is probably not a good idea (yeah, I know it is a self serving recommendation for the guides). The last three hunters that went without a guide did not take sheep. The guides have had close to 100% success in the Whites. That's very compelling.

This will be my first sheep hunt. Any words of wisdom are certainly welcome and appreciated.

Interestingly, this was my lucky year, as I also drew a Big Valley Buck Antelope tag (rifle). The seasons open on the same day, go figure. I'll figure it out though. It's going to be a GREAT year.

lionking

Congrats on the tag! I am a DIY all the way, but contemplating hiring a guide. My sheep hunting skills are O and I have never set foot in my unit. Please share any info before and after your hunt.
Good Luck!

71fan

Congtats!!!!! I would b going bonkers
Yep. It's extremely hard to concentrate at work. All I can think about all day long is studying maps, planning for scouting, range time, getting in sheep shape, gear, etc., etc. There's very little time for actual work, while at work.

71fan

Congrats on the tag! I am a DIY all the way, but contemplating hiring a guide. My sheep hunting skills are O and I have never set foot in my unit. Please share any info before and after your hunt.
Good Luck!
Ditto. It's hard to imagine tag soup on something like this. I want all the insurance I can get. I have talked to the two main guides that do the CA sheep tags (in the desert zones and the Whites. They are both very friendly and helpful. There are two others that the biologist recommended that I will also contact. PM me any time if you want info on these guys.

Last edited:

BAJA

Get a guide for this once in a lifetime hunt. Ask for references for both successful and unsuccessful hunters. If they dont give you info on unsuccessful hunters I would wonder why they don't want to give it up.

bowlboy

If you think your excited now, just wait, by the time it gets close, your going to be freaking out.......I was

Bryan

mischief209

I think if it was me id scout like hell,and see if I could find them and if so go diy. If you can't scout guide is the only way to go. There's a video or 2 on YouTube of cali diy ram. It can be done but I'd try to get 2 or 3 weeks full of scouting and determine my confidence. Can you work it out to do a week diy and if nothing go with the guide after for a week? I don't know how it works,these are the same questions I'd be asking myself if I had the tag. Good luck

DAWG

First, just let the antelope tag go to next in line. You can affordable hunt antelope in another state any year you want. Second, try to get as much high elevation honing in as possible as soon as possible. Try to crash course getting in as good of shape as you can. There have been unsuccessful guided hinters on that hunt due to them bailing for poor conditioning and elevation sickness. I would give it a go DIY, but no way would want to sway another on a once in a lifetime thing like that. Most important, just enjoy the experience. I think a lot of people put too much pressure on the end goal and lose the enjoyment of the journey. Have fun! I'm jealous:)

sierra

Hi Lani,

Congratulation on you sheep tag. We guided both Cady hunters last year with great success. I spoke previously with your son. My son drew the San Gorgonio Wilderness tag this year. This will be a great season!

Be great to talk to you about the Cady mtns. Give me a call.

Terry Anderson
San Gorgonio Wilderness Outfitters
760 408 7118

Lani Carlson

Hey Terry ,
Heard a lot about you thru a couple buddies . Sounds like u are the ticket . Think im going to check the area out and look what im up against then I would like to talk to u. Think my biggest problem is judging the Rams but that's the fun part . Super excited to finally get this tag.... Thanks

flipp

Have you spoken with kika worldwide? They have guided some hunters on some great ram hunts in Ca

vogel002

I was thinking them as well, Kika seems to be made of some strong guides and i've enjoyed chatting with them, can't wait to hear about the experience.

Top Bottom