Drifting the Stanislaus

Speckmisser

Reaction score
I have some friends who have a horse ranch out near Oakdale, right on the Stanislaus.  Every time I'm out there I see the ducks and geese moving around ahead of the rafters.  I'm wondering if there's anywhere in that area where you could drift hunt from a canoe or raft?  Looks like a perfect area for mallards and woodies, and there are a bunch of local honkers.  

Anybody know the ins and outs of that area?  

Jay

Reaction score
As long as you are outside the city limits and put in and take out without tresspassing on private land without permission you are legal.

Are your friends above or below Oakdale? If they're above you could probably put in at the Corps of engineers access points right below the dam and then take out at your friends place. If they are below Oakdale you could put in at your friends place and take out at a bridge somewhere down stream. It might be a long float but you could definately take out at the Durham Ferry bridge on the San Joaquin which is downstream from where the Stanislaus comes in.  

wmidbrook

Reaction score
I know a few guys who've floated stretches of the Stanislaus and they've done alright.  If you could hunt within the city limits on the river in Ripon, you'd limit out on Woodies in a few minutes.  I've scraped up a few birds here and there in the San Joachin river but have never limited out there nor had any hot shootin' days although I don't know it very well yet.  Launched mostly north of Newman a little ways close to the China Island area which isn't known for being a hot & heavy shooter.  But, it is nice to get away from the crowds sometimes.

The San Joachin is full of snags and sand bars so go slow if you ever launch and hunt there.

duckme

Reaction score
Been there done that.That part of the stanislaus has some rapids and big rocks .The hunting is not worth the trouble.Give it a try before season without guns and gear and you will get a idea what is ahead of you.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, guys.

I'm more interested in getting away from the crowds than I am about getting a limit.  I used to have some wonderful hunts just putzing along in my canoe back home, and thought there must be some good spots here to do the same.

The rafters put in above my friends' place, and there's a pretty good stretch of river from there to the ranch.  Should be interesting.  This section is dam controlled, so I'd probably wanna double check the scheduled releases.  

Bill, I have had one trip up the San Joaquin during the floods several years ago.  Incredible shooting, but it turns out that we were well into the park (as the nice ranger was so kind to point out).  Fortunately, because the flooding completely covered the signs and the dikes, he warned us and pointed us in the proper direction.  

Anyway, just one more place to think about.  I'm also looking at the Napa river (shoot in the morning, sip wine in the afternoon).  Don't know that it's super hunting, but there ought to be a bird or two in there.  

Latest Posts

Top Bottom