Driving the RS PIR

vstar

Reaction score
I have been reading on this forum for a few weeks now and decided to  try and build a homebrew. I have started with the RS PIR Sensor. What is the best "safest" way to drive the reed relay. I was going to use the #2 pin off the large IC, but I here alot of people using the speaker wire. Any thoughts from you more experienced homebrewers.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Vstar

Welcome to the site.....

I haven't used the RS PIR but as you noticed, some are having component failure problems in the hot weather.

Here is a relay driver circuit I think would work off pin 2 of the IC.  It wouldn't be too big a deal to build it.  I tried it using a TLC555's output and it worked that way.

Tinhorn

Richard Webb

Reaction score
Hi vstar - You made a smart move when you selected the RS 49-425 PIR, and your next move should be to wire it up according to Randy's Diagram. I have his Diagram posted on Page 3 of my WebSite. However, there is one small mistake on it in using a switch at the battery, because you can't just flick the thing On & Off. The directions say to let the RS PIR warm up in the off position for 1 minute each time you change the battery, so I just unplug the battery when not in use.

PS I have a few 49-425 trail pictures posted if you would like to see a preview.

(Edited by Richard Webb at 8:46 pm on Aug. 3, 2001)

MO Blaster

Reaction score
Not to step on anyones feet, but I use a switch between the battery and RS PIR sensor with no problems yet.  Just make sure you have a switch to shut the camera off for the first minute or so.

Jon Bain

Reaction score
Vstar, I would recommend using the IC #2 pin as illustrated in the diagram Richard mentioned.  I have two cameras built identical except for this wiring you are asking about.  Both work great except the one hooked to the speaker wires causes the relay to "sing".  This is due to the high voltage from the speaker wires and in turn will cause the relay to have a short life span.  The cameras have switches between the battery and PIR to kill power and I also have a switch between the camera and relay. The relay signals the camera to fire so by killing this signal is in turn my on/off for the camera as mentioned above.  Once I have the unit closed I turn on the power and the LED.  It takes a minute for the PIR to warm up.  Once the LED stops flashing or cuts off I turn "off" the LED via switch and turn "on" the camera by flipping the switch that will allow the relay to trigger the camera.  In my second unit I eliminated one of the switches by using the one in Randy's illustration on page three of Richard's site.  This allows you to have the relay "on" and when you turn it "off" you are turning "on" the camera in essence.  

You probably already know this, but thought I'd let you know what my trials and tribulations have been with wiring both ways.

(Edited by Jon Bain at 3:33 pm on Aug. 4, 2001)

Top Bottom