Drumming Ruffed Grouse

Willy4003

Reaction score
Monitoring 2 different logs. Nearly 700 pictures between the two this week. The drummer on the mossy log prefers performing in the evening and the other isn't as picky.

Chenango Dave

Reaction score
Awesome pics again Will. I've seen a couple of your pics when the grouse was all fanned out on his drumming log, Do you get many pics of them strutting like that with your trail cams? I've got over 800 pics from 3 logs in the past week and not one of them are fanned out - only drumming.
Just wondering if you get many of them while they are strutting from you trail cam setups..
Thanks.

Willy4003

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments.

I set my board to rapid fire (upon detection 7 pictures are taken 3-4 seconds apart during the day, 2 or 3 at night 6 or 7 seconds apart). About 5% are fanned out.

Jari

Reaction score
Finally found a drumming log,I'm able to go out and just watch him from about 15feet away..But There is really no good place in front of him to put the cam on,except for a little spruce about an inch thick,right in front,close..Just wondering how close you set your cam to the bird..
When I went out I took my camcorder and got some video,if your interested..
<http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=sW5gMV5WQPI>

Willy4003

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jari @ May 4 2008, 10:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Finally found a drumming log,I'm able to go out and just watch him from about 15feet away..But There is really no good place in front of him to put the cam on,except for a little spruce about an inch thick,right in front,close..Just wondering how close you set your cam to the bird..
When I went out I took my camcorder and got some video,if your interested..
<http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=sW5gMV5WQPI>[/b]
Awesome vid Jari. Congrats on tracking down the log.

Just grab a log/sawed off stump and mount it to that, or pound a stake in the ground. I'm about 3 feet away on one setup and about 4 on the other.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom